Find
Notify
Tools

CMS Double Buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,

I haven't posted a new thread before, but after reading Mike's hunt report I thought I'd briefly share my experience with CMS this year.

I hunted June this year with CMS for the second time after a once in a lifetime 40th birthday trip in 2012 became a twice in a lifetime event... A new addiction...

I travelled with a long time mate Hilly who I hunted with in 2012. This time his son Bruce came too.

This year was the same great service from CMS. Got picked up by Buzz at the airport, dropped off at the B&B, shopping for the kids with Kirsty then dinner, 153 whiskeys and a stogie.

This year I was after an old busted up rugger boy and a decent bull. Started out good the first day onto dugga boys straight away with Blake. (Hunted with Blake 2012). Then for some reason I got some stomach upset and I was not well for 2 days.

I'm sure you can imagine, walking through the bush for 12 hrs a day running off behind a bush every 30 minutes is not fun. On day 3, after about 8 hrs walking I was feeling pretty dehydrated and a bit sorry for myself. I don't think I even had a beer the night before, that's how serious the situation was!

We were onto a few buff we had been tracking all day and Blake suggested we take 5 in the shade. In 2012 after a Blake "route march" I finally asked for a breather. I'm pretty fit but these guys just keep going like it's no problem. Blake was very apologetic saying if I wanted a break I should just call out. Well in this instance I did, only to find out we were only 200m from the vehicle! After this I told myself no more wimping out.

So on day 3, feeling crap, dehydrated and having been walking 8 hrs already with no intention of asking for a woose break, Blake said let's have a 5 minute breather I wasn't complaining.

I hung my rifle on the 3 leg sticks and lay in the shade reminding myself not to let one rip or there would be serious fall out... Just then a big gust of wind comes through and blows the sticks over and both mine and Blake's rifles. Mine landed on top of Blake's and the stock snapped through the grip. Oh for f$&k sake! What a day!

Blake takes one look and straight away starts dis assembling his CZ (.458 Lott). Mine is a CZ in .416 Rigby. He reassembles my rifle with his stock on it. 10 minutes later we are back tracking the buff with my CZ with Blake's stock on it.

An hour later Blake had us as close as we could get to about 30 buff with the one old broken down buff in the herd. We set up on the sticks in sun and waited for our buff to stand up. An hour on the sticks waiting in the sun and not once did I feel crook like I had the past 2 days. I was concerned about a change in POI with the change of stock. We didn't want want to risk getting closer as there was little cover and we only had one rifle in case of any dramas.

Finally our old shiny horned buff stood up and one shot drilled him. Not more than 2 steps and he was down. 118 paces.

To me this was what hunting is all about. A bit of adversity, a trusting PH and a hard won buff. I'll remember this one more than the others. A good example of what the guys at CMS will do for you. I celebrated with a stogie and berocca and vodkas that night (to rehydrate...)

I hunted with Blake's stock for the next 7 days. Took another buff after a 25-30km Blake route march day 9. I can run 5km in 25mins and lift twice my weight but gees, these guys are seriously fit. They don't seem to sweat or even drink water! Also got 2 great warthogs.

I can imagine a circumstance where a broken stock would wreck a hunt. I am very great full of Blake and CMS in the way this was just shrugged off like there was no problems.

Now if all you Yankees can keep QE going which keeps our Aussie $ up I'll be back next year again for my third one in a life time hunt!

Thanks Blake and CMS!

Cheers

DK

Posts: 82 | Location: Australia | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Nice report but without pics...its just a "story." Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing pictures from your hunt on Blake's FaceBook timeline. Good hunting!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Way to go Dan. Congratulations. My understanding is that Hilly was in rare form once again. CMS has had to consider an across the board increase in daily rates by $100/day just to cover Hilly's Jack Daniels consumption.

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pulicords:
Nice report but without pics...its just a "story." Wink

+1 Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Two great buffalo and one great PH.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Good job from Blake too!

Interesting about swapping the stock - only rifle in the group - & you did not check zero!

I will be taking an identical rifle next year, but in Kevlar stock.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked the zero the next morning and it had only moved about an inch lower at 50m. Blake's stock is a Bell and Carlson. The .416 is a great one rifle calibre. I use 450 gr Woodleighs. 3 of 4 buff have been one shot.

Mike, Hilly certainly contributed to the increase in daily rates! Have some great footage of the last afternoon/evening but I wouldn't dare post it here!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, thanks for the links. Great buffs and long toothed pig too.
Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Interesting about the stocks and matching rifles. I'm a wood stock fanatic so would be SOL in such a case.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Those are proper buffalo.. Very well done! Nice hog too.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Not soon enough for the next one!

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Thats a couple of nice Buffalo
Well done!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote