New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vieranas Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just completed a hunt with Roger and Amelia Coomber of Vieranas Safaris (www.vieranasbowhunt.com). There were four of us on the trip and we had a wonderful experience. Roger specializes in bowhunts but we were rifle hunting the 650,000 acre Loxodonta Africana Conservancy near Kamanjab (about 6 hrs NNW of Windhoek).

Our goal for the hunt was to hunt indigenous species in a fair chase environment. We are not collectors and wanted a real hunt where failure was a possibility. The conservancy is composed of mostly low fence and no fence cattle ranches. The elephants regularly flatten the fences. Four of us took a total or 31 animals in seven days of hard hunting. The hunting consisted of walking, climbing koppies, glassing, and more walking. The is game here but some days we did not see a lot (the mopane and accacia still had lots of foliage). My kudu was spotted from about a mile away and took several hours to stalk into position for a shot.

This oryx bull was taken from a koppie.

I chased this old klipspringer through the rocks.

I am thrilled with this mature eland

All four of us took a Hartmann's Zebra.

My kalahari springbok

Roger and Amelia run a very professional operation with very nice accommodations, fabulous food, and well maintained facilities and equipment. Roger was my PH and I could not have asked for any better. He loves to strap on the pack and walk and climb. This is not the hunt for the "collector" who wants to select his gold medal animal from the inventory. This is best suited for the hunter who wants to earn his trophies.

Vieranas Safaris gave me the experience I came to Namibia for.

405wcf

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies. Looks like you had a great trip.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good looking animals! Congrats!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
405wcf, well done on your hunt.
Glad to know that you enjoyed hunting with Roger and Amelia.
I will be hunting with them, for the first time, next week starting on Sunday 13th.
What rifles have you used?
How was the weather like?
What animals did you saw other them the hunted ones?
Thank you for sharing
Roberto

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your pictures.

I hunted near Kamanjab last year. It is a beautiful area.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Congrats...I had a great trip with Roger and Amelia when I was there. You are right, they are great folks...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a nice trip. Great pics! clap

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only375
I used a 338 Win mag with 225gr Nosler Partitions. All were bang-flops except the kudu which ran 70 yds. Some shooting here can be a bit long. My oryx was 270yds and zebra was 261yds. One of my companions shot his zebra at 341yds. If there is any chance you might shoot one of the little guys...damara dik-dik, duiker, klipspringer, or steenbok, bring a few solids. The off side of my klipspringer evaporated!

I passed on a couple of steenbok because I was intent on hunting kudu and I did not want to interrupt my hunt to take care of the animal. I wanted a damara dik-dik but when my PH and tracker located one, I could not pick it out quick enough to shoot. I got to within 12yds of a ewe, and that was pretty neat. Two of my companions took dik-dik. I saw probably 7 or 8 different giraffes including two dark colored bulls. Roger spotted a good warthog but he was moving before I could get on him.

The weather was sunny! In the direct sunlight I guess it would get up to 80-85 degrees F. In the mornings (and evenings)it was cool enough to wear a jacket. Always breezy during the day. I used more lip balm than I ever have in my life.

I have no doubt that you will enjoy your safari!

405wcf

One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the information provided.
Just received an e-mail from Roger mentioning that you were a great group of guys.
Never crossed my mind to take some solids, but most definitely I will take your advice.
Will ask Roger to buy me some solids as I cannot get them in Angola.

All the best

Roberto

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
405wcf, glad you all had a great hunt was a pleasure having you in camp.

clap clap to a great group of guys who hunted hard and earned every single one of those animals.

I would also like to thank Patty Curnutte, The Global Sportsman (830) 755-9191 for putting this hunt together.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted Hide Post
Great pics. I agree with everything you said. I hunted with Tim at Vieranas a couple of years ago and had a great experience. Definitely not a canned hunt and you work for everything you get. We all hunted with Bows and killed some great animals. Roger and Amelia are wonderful.
Lee

Lee Britt

Posts: 51 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: 02 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Congratulations!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Well earned trophies
congratulations!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Congrats...I had a great trip with Roger and Amelia when I was there. You are right, they are great folks...

Thanks Tim, watched your Eland last night, AGAIN, still an absolute perfect shot! tu2

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Britt:
Great pics. I agree with everything you said. I hunted with Tim at Vieranas a couple of years ago and had a great experience. Definitely not a canned hunt and you work for everything you get. We all hunted with Bows and killed some great animals. Roger and Amelia are wonderful.
Lee

Hey Lee, thanks for the comments was a great hunt you guys are always welcome archer

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
#TPH00157

www.vieranasbowhunt.com

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
Solid Klipspringer with good bases. Congrats on all trophies !

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 440 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nampom, is your pal Jan duPlessis still operating? He,his wife and children are good people.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
Nampom, is your pal Jan duPlessis still operating? He,his wife and children are good people.

2th doc, yes he is but don't see anyone in the business a lot when the season start, you mainly run into each other at the airport. The children is in the same school as my daughter.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
#TPH00157

www.vieranasbowhunt.com