New
Find
Notify
Tools

A very nice buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend that I shoot competition benchrest with sent me these two photos. This was his son's animal. He is on the left in the second photo. Only info I received with it was he used a 375 H&H. I'm trying to get more info.

It is posed to show the mass of the bosses, but I would have taken it.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! That's a Beauty!!!

Posts: 2323 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Any details on the rifle with the wood stock?

Awesome Buffalo, love the thick bosses.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an email out to him for info. Hope to hear soon.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy bosses! Where are they hunting?

Posts: 1418 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 tu2

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Love the bosses on that buff. Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7512 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!!

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That guy is incredible. I'd keep the spread private, just to make people drool over how big and old that thing is.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Updated info.

Hi Butch,

Send me your phone number and I will have Rick call you, I think it was 41", the PH is a good friend of Rick's he lives is South Africa the rifle he used was a .375 H&H. I think it is a Winchester model 70. The other is a .338 Win mag. They were hunting near on the border between SA and Mozebamque (sp) near Krueger N.P. The PH told Rick he had never seen a buff like that.

When Rick was at the airport leaving for home he ran into Kenny Jarrett who has hunted Africa several times
for Cape buffs he told Rick he had never seen one either.

Send me your phone number and I will have him call you. He used to travel and shoot BR with me but has not shot a match for 7 or 8 years.

We are doing well, we went to Australia in October 2015 to visit our daughter we were married 50 years. We were there 3 weeks and had dinner with Stuart and Annie.

I will forward your email to Rick.

Glad to hear from you.

Don

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
That guy is incredible. I'd keep the spread private, just to make people drool over how big and old that thing is.

The spread doesn't matter, that is a beautiful bull.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12504 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful buff....

Rick's last name doesn't happen to begin with 'C' does it, and live in Kansas City? Looks awful familiar to me.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buff! Hard to tell exactly just how nice, because of he way the photo was shot.

Still nice job all around.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Were they hunting in South Africa or Mozambique?

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heeler75:
That's a beautiful buff....

Rick's last name doesn't happen to begin with 'C' does it, and live in Kansas City? Looks awful familiar to me.

Could be.
Waiting on Rick to call or email.

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very nice specimen indeed and would look even nicer if those tips were a little more worn down and some of the hair where the bosses meet were not there. Wink

A worthwhile shooter nevertheless.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
[...] the rifle he used was a .375 H&H. I think it is a Winchester model 70.

Looks like the only thing M70 about it would be the action. Beautiful rifle.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
quote:
[...] the rifle he used was a .375 H&H. I think it is a Winchester model 70.

Looks like the only thing M70 about it would be the action. Beautiful rifle.

You are right. Rick is out of pocket, but I'll fill in the blanks when I hear from him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't see a photo

Posts: 9970 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Couldn't see a photo

Still two large photos in my original post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick said the buff had a 42" spread and the boss was 18" front to rear. Hung over his eye by 3". The guide was using a Lott in a CZ. Rick said his rifle was his meat gun. Mod70 receiver, glass stock, and a SS barrel. Rick was using Swift AFrames, Bullet went through the shoulder and exited. He went about 150 yards before taking a knee. The location was the area next to Mozambique and Kruger National Park.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
A real hoss of a buff!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote