ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Cabassa Safaris, 01-08 Jun 2016: Unparalleled Satisfaction

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabassa Safaris, 01-08 Jun 2016: Unparalleled Satisfaction
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since quality and customer service became more than mere slogans, I’m sure you’ve been asked to complete surveys. I ignore these most of the time, not because of elicitations such as “Please rate your satisfaction” or, “Is there anything else we can do better?” What causes me to ignore surveys is the question, “How likely are you to recommend our service/product to others?”

I never endorse for the same reason I have almost never recommended someone for a job: It is very rare to find someone worthy of performing as to not damage your reputation or credibility. However, today I am breaking that rule.

Cabassa Safaris: Satisfaction: 10 of 10; Highly recommend.

I have wanted to go to Africa since I was 12. I’ve read every scrap of literature I can find and have, over the years, collected many items in preparation. More than 50 years later, and after many financial set-backs, my loving wife made that dream finally come true. I would not think of going without her so her accompaniment and her care as an observer was paramount. I have known several people who have hunted Africa and many made recommendations for outfitters, etc., but we were almost overwhelmed with worries such as affording the trip, traveling almost half-way across the globe, taking guns on airlines, fears of foreign countries, and a multitude of other concerns.

We attended gun shows, outdoor expositions, and collected several brochures but one young man, Hardus van Zyl, from Cabassa Safaris (cabassasafaris.com) impressed us with his enthusiasm, honesty, and willingness to answer our questions. We initially contacted several outfitters and most either did not return our e-Mails or they didn’t “feel” right (low exuberance, seemingly not willing to help, etc.). To be honest, e-Mail contact throughout Africa is unreliable or sporadic at best so we gave them all the benefit of doubt. Still, Hardus came through with ideas, quotes, and the patience to answer our endless questions. I trust you can tell by how much I write here that I am extremely glad we decided on Cabassa.

We are not rich and money is, of course, a big concern. Cabassa is a great value but I consider them a bargain at any price. From the time we were in their hands when they picked us up at the airport to the time they dropped us off at the airport (waiting to leave until we were actually aboard the aircraft), we had absolutely no worries, no unmet wants, no problems of any kind, and certainly no boredom! We decided to stay a couple of extra days in Johannesburg and our guide, Johan van Zyl (Hardus’ father) not only made several cautions and recommendations but actually arranged for a stay at a very nice luxury hotel with pick-up and drop-off service.

Animal and hunt quality are of top importance, of course, and here is where Cabassa really shines. As a former guide myself, I know a very experienced guide when I see him. Johan and Hardus are extremely qualified, having been born and raised on location, and go far out of their way to meet and exceed client expectations. A guide’s job is more than providing opportunities at trophy animals. Cabassa takes seriously their commitment to ensuring the very best experiences that will last a lifetime. Their knowledge of game habits and habitat is superb and matched by their ability to foresee their clients’ needs and expectations. After the day’s hunt, we were treated as one of their family in a beautiful setting far from civilization’s lights that fade the stars at night. Suffice it to say that lodging, food, care, and attention were the absolute best.

I won’t say that Cabassa Safaris is better than any other outfitter because this was my first time to Africa and I have not hired any other. However, I can honestly say this: Money is tight but we are already saving up for another trip (this time to their other location in Mozambique for other than plains game) and there is no question that we would love to be in their care again above all others.

During my hunt for plains game in South Africa, Johan van Zyl kept telling me that I was a very lucky hunter. Though hunting is tough sometimes, we found the animals I wanted, didn’t lose any, and everything ran smoothly with no disappointments or regrets.

That is not luck. Those are the results of a caring, experienced outfitter whom I trust and highly recommend – especially to someone going to Africa for the first (and possibly only) time.

Cabassa Safaris
Johan and Hardus van Zyl, owners & operators
Cabassasafaris.com
info@cabassasafaris.com
P.O. Box 208
Hoopstad
South Africa 9479

Posts: 48 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I just read the entire hunt report and missed any hunting story.

Do you have any reports on the game taken?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
This is not a hunt report. It is an advertisement disguised as a hunt report....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13137 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My thoughts as well but I thought I'd give the benefit of doubt

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would hold off on that verdict until he responds. I have spoke with Hardus on multiple occasions, and I think his and Cabassa's character and integrity are above fake hunt reports.

I would like to see a day-to-day style report with pictures though!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bivy:
I would hold off on that verdict until he responds. I have spoke with Hardus on multiple occasions, and I think his and Cabassa's character and integrity are above fake hunt reports.

We shall see

Hunt reports are the only reason I visit this section

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:

What looks suspicious is the glowing support and back up coming from two people in their first posts.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a bit early to form a judgement but this post is not doing the operator a favor. Just the opposite.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100% agree

quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
This is not a hunt report. It is an advertisement disguised as a hunt report....

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I agree
This is supposed to be hunting report not commercial

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interesting to know if Saeed's computer guys could say if it came from the same computer.

quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

What looks suspicious is the glowing support and back up coming from two people in their first posts.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all. I must admit a bit of shock at some of the posts here. I want to point out that, as some said, I have never posted before. I admit to being a bit confused over this section and the Africa Hunts section. I assumed this one was for testimonials on various PHs and areas. I apologize for that mistake.
As for some of you thinking I was lying or misrepresenting - maybe you should apologize...?
I am not a computer expert so I'll have to find some 8 year old to help me download photographs!
I successfully hunted for impala, wart hog, kudu, springbok, oryx, blue wildebeest, and duiker. The package was supposed to include a blesbok but I was offered to exchange that for the springbok, which was not originally on the list.
As I said, my first time to Africa so I don't know an exceptional trophy from a so-so, but I am very happy with the animals I got. Words such as "gold medal class" on a couple of the animals kept flying around but I have no idea what that means. My wart hog was really big; I can say that. The tusks came out far. The springbok was also bigger than most I've seen. The wildebeest was really good, with horns that were cracked and old. The duiker took four outings to get - speedy little devils!
This was a very good hunt - one I heartily recommend. I originally came to this site to find an outfitter so I hope my post will help others in their search.
Many thanks - I'll see if I can figure out how to post photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bo,
Thanks for sharing. You are just seeing the "self regulation" of AccurateReloading. There are no sponsors and no advertisers. Over the years, there have been instances of someone posting incomplete or somewhat questionable reports or offers to sell. This looked a little like that but no fault of yours.

It is your report and feel free to post pictures as they are usually what people want to see here.

I suggest you look at some of the other hunt reports and structure yours somewhat like them.

Again, we have few rules here and the moderators will take care of letting you if you are off base. You are not, so fret not - post a report with pictures and you will get lot so compliments.....

Glad you had a good hunt!

wave

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes me wonder about the type of operation that would do this. Just sayin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't figure out the posting pictures you can email them to me and I can post them for you
sgehring@msn.com
shane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks layman, dogcat. I'm gonna try this posting business. I have 750 photographs but the problem is sizing them so I can post them. Here goes.
This first one is of my wartog. As many of you know, these can be tough to hunt. I consider myself fortunate in that I had to go out only twice for this one. My PH thought it very lucky also (I told you what I think of his comments concerning "luck"...). We saw several smaller ones the day before but could not get a shot. South Africa is undergoing a drought and animals are concentrated but that also means a lot of eyes and ears looking for predators - including the "Ultimate Predator"... me. We came back the next day with a better strategy. We started walking about 1/2 mile away, along an old waterway which was now dry. Our goal was the mud puddles where the warthogs were seen the day before. We hunkered down on the small depression or valley made by the former water way and came to a rise. My PH slowly raised his head and binocs and spotted a good boar. I eased my Sako .338 Win over the rise and sent a Barnes 225gr TSX into the boar's chest via his front shoulder. Range was about 180 yards. He immediately took off, uphill, obviously to his den. That's where we found him, still alive. I put another bullet into him (about 20 feet) just behind his ear and he went stiff, then it was over. He was backed into a den, facing outward as if waiting for us. The den was in a dug-out area about 12x15 feet wide and 8 feet deep before it became just a small hole. So small, he couldn't fit anything but his butt into the hole. He was laying on an old carcass of another wart hog he had been feeding on. The first bullet I put into him was sticking out of his body, opposite side, just behing his shoulder. The bullet had exited the skin, base first. The bullet had turned around 180 degrees. I was very impressed not only with his tenacity but - these are big critters! I mean VERY big! I sure would not want one coming after me.
I'm gonna try to figure out how to post now. If I can't I'll post later (as soon as I find an 8 year old!).
OK. So I can't figure it out. I see a bunch of boxes at the top of this but when I click on what looks like a photo, all I get is "Image URL." I have these photos on my computer but don't know what a URL is. Can anyone help? I'd love to post these... Many thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane -

I found out why I can't post photos. I don't have permission. Not sure how I get permission or who to ask so, if it's not a problem, I will forward a couple of photos to you for posting. I thought folks here might want to see not only the wart hog I wrote about but also the bulle that exited backwards. I've never seen that before but I guess after crushing a shoulder and going through the body, one can expect a certain amount of upset!
I'd like to post about 6 or 7 other photos and describe th other animals taken but I don't want to burden you. Many thanks, Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a 400 grain solid exit backwards on a scrub bull once. Back end just poking out of the offside skin.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your PMs Bohonkie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
here you go Mike!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. As I wrote. I successfully hunted seven species. I wanted to post at least one more - blue wildebeest. I can't think of a time when I didn't want one of these. Ever since I was a young boy, I saw books with pictures of drawings on cave walls; drawings of blue wildebeest. I just HAD to get one, sort of connect with our primitive past, I guess.
We started out one very cool morning and found a big, lone bull and chased him for an hour or so but his right side horn was either broken off or otherwise missing about 2 inches. He was magnificent! Long tail swishing as he ran and changed directions the way they do, tossing his head around... He was very big and extremely wary. We left him and went to another area where, after walking about 4 miles and seeing several impala, sable, and a big herd of black wildebeest, we came upon four blues. They made us and ran but stopped about a half mile away so we put the sneak on them. While walking behind a hill, I suddenly heard a thunder and looked to my right to see at least 100 black wildebeest running to the other side - right where the four blues were hopefully still located. I sure thought they were going to scare the blues far away but they suddenly stopped, milled around for a while, ran in circles, then ran back the way they came. When we rounded the small hill we were using for cover, we saw three blues about 300 yards to our left. Then my PH spotted the biggest bull of the bunch straight ahead of us. He was standing perfectly stright on and about to bolt. He set up the sticks, I rested my Winchester .375 H&H (Walnut stock, model 70 Alaskan) and put the cross hairs just under his nose and pressed the trigger. After the recoil, I looked up to see him still standing there. Then, after about 2 1/2 seconds after the shot, he just collapsed - straight down. He didn't move a muscle. Before walking to him we put the range finder on him: 179 meters. The Barnes 300 grain TSX had entered the chest and took out the heart and lungs. Lots of foamy blood around his nose and lots of coagulated blood too. The bullet was not recovered but I suspect ended up in the back of the stomach somewhere. The photo I will ask to be posted is of the blue, myself, and my wife (her first hunt ever). This was a dream of more than 50 years and I'm glad it went so well.
Thanks for reading - Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
here you go Mike