Maclaren Safaris 2002
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Web Site: http://www.maclaren.co.za/

Pictures from this trip.
http://amosgreg.home.netcom.com/AmosAfrica.htm

PH/Outfitter: Selwyn Lowe

Area Hunted: Zululand 5 days, Free State 5 days, Vacation: before, during and after hunting
Dates: June 21st - July 7th 2002

How hunted: Bow Only primary (Zebra with rifle)

Species Obtained: Zebra
Species Viewed/Stalked: Nyala, Impala, Blue Wildebeast, Common Reedbuck, Warthog, Diker(Red and Grey), Blesbuck, Red Hartabeast, Black Wildebeast, Springbuck, Zebra, Gemsbuck, Mountain Reedbuck

Report: This trip was a family vacation as primary, hunting was secondary. We had a great time again as can be seen from the pictures. We were hunting during a strong cold snap and on the full moon.
In Zululand(same ranch as last year) I hunted from a pitblind and also from a hastyhide at a couple of waterholes. The area was under severe drought conditions and they were pumping water into the waterholes. The last couple of days were extremely windy and this didn't help settle the animals as they came in to drink.
I had 7 good Nyala rams within 35 yards and no shots. A Red Diker almost stepping on me. A number of Impala (I chose not to take another one). Saw nice Grey Diker and Warthog and on the last morning a real nice Common Reedbuck that presented no oppurtunity for a bow stalk. Selwyn said it was 17 to 18 inches.
In the Free state I hunted from a several prepared pitblinds over salt and mineral licks. Conditions were tough for bowhunting. I had Springbuck, Wildebeast and Harabeast within 50 yards of the blind on several occasions but no shots. We crawled a strong couple hundred yards to try to get a shot at the Zebra past Wildebeast,Hartabeast and Blesbuck. I to the stallion the next day.

Food and accomidations were Excellent. My wife and daughter had a wonderful time

Greg

[ 07-22-2002, 18:42: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote