ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Masaailand (Simanjiro Naberera) Double Buffalo with Kububi Safaris
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masaailand (Simanjiro Naberera) Double Buffalo with Kububi Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Maasailand (Simanjiro Naberera) Double Buffalo with Kububi Safaris booked through Arjun Reddy’s Hunters Network.

OPPORTUNITY- I never thought I would hunt Tanzania as it can be extremely expensive. I gave up on it about ten years ago when the Government suddenly raised its prices just as the season was to start. All those extra community fees and air charter costs were just too much for my budget, especially when compared to the free-range dangerous game hunts available in Zimbabwe and Mozambique and to some extent Namibia’s Caprivi strip. I turned sixty this past year and wanted to do something special. Buzz was putting together a killer deal for me and he even offered to jump out of cake wearing his Mankini for my birthday. Obviously, that killed the deal. Fortunately, I was keeping a close watch on the hunt offers here on AR when this popped up:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2100588/m/1201011442

COST – Wow, this was a deal! It would work out cheaper that a ten-day double buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe and since it was in Maasialand there was no need for an expensive air charter. The camp would only be a four-hour drive from my arrival at Kilimanjaro airport. Arjun explained to me that it was a new outfit completely Black owned with a concession that hadn’t been hunted for several years. The prices were so reasonable because………. well it was a new outfit without an established reputation and they needed to get bookings so that’s what you do when you are new and need bookings………. you offer great prices to entice people.

TRAVEL / FIREARM – I used Travel With Guns to book my flight and they were great. I flew from LAX to Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro and back without any issues other than having to wait an insane amount of time upon my return in Los Angeles to get my rifle cleared. I did spend the money and get my VISA before I arrived and it was a huge timesaver. Arjun helped with my paperwork so I already had my rifle permit when I arrived. I only brought my 375 Ruger with Leupold VX6 IR 1-6 scope using 270 Gr TSX ammo.

CURSES / PHOTOGRAPHY – I took a small digital Canon camera for photos but couldn’t find the damn thing upon my return. I can only speculate that it fell out of my ammo case when I had to show my remaining ammo when leaving Kilimanjaro. I took a few photos/videos with my iPhone and Hasheem sent me a bunch of his using WhatsApp (a truly useful and fantastic app by the way). Therefore, the photos I am posting here are minimal which is why I make reference to Arjun’s post for more information.

JOY – Hasheem and his gang are full of joy and optimism about the future of their Safari company. Hasheem is one of the few Black Africans to be a fully licensed PH with his own company. His excitement is evident as sometimes I thought he was going to jump out of his skin to get me my buffalo. He is friendly, likable and easy to get along with. His English skills are quite good and we had no problem communicating. We found plenty to chat about and enjoyed some good laughs. He is a Muslim and doesn’t drink alcohol so he doesn’t know much about it. I had to inform him and his staff not to put the red wine in the fridge. Hasheem and his crew also loved taking photos. I have never been on a hunt where so many of the team jump in taking lots of pictures. You can also expect Hasheem to take a video of you while you explain what this hunt means to you. It reminded me of those Mark Sullivan videos where Mark asks the hunter how he feels after blasting a hippo or buffalo…………so be prepared to say something deep and profound and try not to cry.

WEATHER- I am use to going to the Zambezi Valley the second half of October when all the late season deals are available. The prices can be great but the heat is murder. I just assumed it would be similar in Tanzania but I was pleasantly surprised by the mildness of the climate. It was late season and it was dry with the hottest day about 85 F with the nights getting down to about 60 F which made for comfortable conditions. There were no tsetse flies and mosquitos were minimal.

FACILITIES / MEALS– The main camp was built and is owned by the Tanzania government. The safari operator leases it. It is a modern facility with all the comforts of home. You can look at Arjun’s post below to get a better idea. The meals were all first rate although they could have used a bit more variety when it came to dessert. We camped out a couple nights in the field with meals being prepared over a campfire. There were even better than the lodge and you can’t beat the atmosphere of sleeping under the stars with a hyena calling in the distance. They brought a cot with a pad, blanket and pillow and I slept like a baby.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6071078342

ANIMALS – They got lots of them. This trip was the first time I have seen a honey badger and only the second time for an Aardwolf and this was my 24th trip to Africa. For the more serious collector they have an abundance of lesser kudu and East African dik-dik. Hasheem also assured me they have lots of Gerenuk and that all these species are quite easy to come by. I have never seen so many Zebra in my life and they could be virtually shot at will making easy baits for the cats. There were lots of buffalo but this time of year they were spread out over the roughly 800,000-acre concession. We came across fresh sign for leopard and lion but didn’t actually see any. This is a dry area so there are no hippo or croc hunting opportunities and not much in the way of elephant. This is the place to come for buffalo, leopard, lion and the specialized East African plains game.

THE MASAAI - Colorful, friendly and helpful. Most of them have flip up cell phones and Hasheem was in frequent contact with them for info on buffalo. The only negative is that they have large herds of cattle and goats that compete with the wildlife. I was there at the end of the dry season when the water supply has diminished. What happens is that it forces the buffalo to come in the middle of the night to drink thus making finding fresh tracks and following them more difficult. The buffalo hunting would be easier earlier in the season or after the rains start in early November (just as I was leaving) when there are more pans to drink from. I got my two buffalo but they didn’t come easy. Hasheem was also blunt about the Masaai and lions in that lions that roam into their cattle area are quickly poisoned. They just aren’t tolerated. The lions therefore have learned to stay away and hang out on the other side of the concession.

POACHING – We ran into meat poachers the first two days. The first day was two guys on one motorcycle carrying plastic bags filled with meat. We gave chase but a big loaded up Toyota trying to chase down a motorcycle through the bush isn’t much of a contest. We had more luck the second day as we ran into two guys on a bicycle with spears and plastic bags of meat. The two boys took off so we didn’t catch them but we did recover their bike, cell phone and keys along with the Hartebeest meat. I kind of admired the poachers since they stalked the Hartebeest on foot and used spears to kill it the old-fashioned way. Apparently, there is a good market for game meat in the towns. Mary, our Game Scout was confident they would be arrested since we had recovered their cell phone. I had good photos but they are a casualty of my lost camera.

PLAINS GAME HUNTING – It was pretty easy. I was after both Gazelles (Thompson and Grants), a white bearded wildebeest and a Topi or Cokes Hartebeest. I got all four of them in the first four days. The animals get use to the Maasai so the standard procedure is once you spot an animal or herd off in the distance you get out of the vehicle, put a colorful Masaai robe on and nonchalantly walk towards your prey until your close enough to get a good shot in. I think I got some nice trophies, especially the Grants Gazelle. As I stated earlier it would have been easy to also take a lesser kudu (I saw some nice ones) and a dik-dik.

BUFFALO - These things were more difficult. Arjun told me to expect to hunt them in the mountains so I was prepared to huff and puff my way up some hillsides. I have some good hills at home I regularly hike but I go up them using switchbacks, not straight up the sides. Also take note: just because you hike up a mountain where buffalo are known to reside doesn’t mean they are waiting around for you in lounge chairs when you get there. We went up a good mountain one day and there was fresh buffalo sign but there was also lots of thick bush they could hide in and they did. At least I got some good exercise in.

There is one criticism I have and I did discuss it with Arjun. When I booked this hunt, I was to spend one night in an Arusha hotel upon arrival as I would be arriving late at night. Then after a good night sleep I would spend the next day travelling to the concession and then the following the day the hunt would begin. Hasheem was too excitable to let me rest. I believe he knew it was going to be more difficult to get my buffalo this time of year so he really pushed me to speed things up. Upon clearing my rifle, he told me that it was a one-hour drive to the hotel so we wouldn’t arrive before 11PM and then we had to leave at 3AM the next morning as he wanted to start hunting right away. The camp was only a 4-5-hour drive away from the airport so I just opted to go straight to the camp skipping the hotel. The camp was comfortable but I was up early the next morning and off we went. I had paid for a ten-day hunt but I was getting a free bonus day to make it an eleven-day affair. That first day we ended up at the base of a good-sized mountain during the hottest time of the day ready to go straight up the side as there were buffalo at the top. I refused. I was too tired and jet lagged. I told Hasheem we could come back in a couple days if unsuccessful in the flatlands and after I had a chance to rest, I would race him to the top. He said, “okay Mr. Mike”.

We tried and tried in the flatlands and on another mountain climb but were unsuccessful. We even camped out by waterholes for a couple of nights and the buffalo did come in around 2AM……. we could make them out in the dark but just barely and then they were long gone by next morning. We did pursue but that bush is thick and thorny.

So, we decided to head back to the original mountain I refused to climb the first day. I turned in early to get a good night’s rest when Hasheem woke me at 11PM telling me he had arranged for us to go to the concession next door and we would be leaving at 5AM. Whatever you say cowboy, I’m in.

The camp we took over was run down as it hadn’t been used in three years. However, Hasheem and his team took over and had my tent fixed up in a jiffy. It was quite comfortable when they finished. This concession next door was called Irkiushibor and it shared a common boundary with the Tarangire National Park known for their huge herds of buffalo and elephant. These elephants are known for their long slender ivory.

The first day hunting we didn’t see any buffalo but the second day (day 8 of the 10-11-day hunt) we hit pay dirt catching a large herd out in the open. I saw a nice wide and deep buffalo at the tail end of the herd and took about a hundred-yard shot hitting him solid but he did not drop. It was then I wished I was using something heavier than a 375 with 270 grain bullets. I expected them to all run off but no……they actually stomped their feet, shook their heads, raised their snouts and crept closer. The buffalo I hit interspersed with the herd so all we could do is to wait. They were in no hurry to go anywhere and since this was a double buffalo hunt and I saw a nice wide bull right at the front of the herd I asked Hasheem what about that one? Boom, he jumped up like a typical heart shot but didn’t go down either. I am switching to my 458 in the future. Now I had two hit buffalo interspersed in the same herd and we waited. Eventually the herd moved off leaving two slowly moving buffalo lagging behind. It took an additional two shots into each buffalo before they finally hit the ground. What a relief and did I mention I am switching to my 458 in the future.

BACK IN ARUSHA – I had a couple of free days left over so Hasheem arranged for me to check in to the very comfortable 3 Degrees lodge located in the heart of Arusha. It is partially owned by our own Tim Vining who is a member here. I got to have an enjoyable breakfast with Tim one morning at the Lodge’s restaurant. I was also able to take an all-day trip to the same Tarangire National Park that had the shared boundary where I shot my buffalo. It was overcast with intermittent rain but that didn’t bother the wildlife. I saw an incredible array of animals in a very compact area. Unfortunately, it was quite rainy while I was in Arusha so I wasn’t able to venture out much to see the local sights.

RECOMMENDATION – Go and hunt with Kabubi Safaris as soon as possible. They are a happy bunch and will take good care of you. These great prices won’t last forever so grab them while you can. Eventually they will get more established and popular so you can expect the prices to jump. I am thinking of going back for a 16-day leopard hunt. If I buy a 21-day license I can hunt three buffalo and all the plains game they have. Except this time, I am taking my 458 and 308 for better firepower.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1848 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great time and hunt...

Some nice trophies

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some very nice trophies there. Too bad you didn't smile much! Big Grin

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Awesome report and trophies. I leave in six months for my fifth hunt with Sebra Hunting Safaris and your report has me planning my trip already.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Those look like excellent buffalo. Your other trophies look good too. Congrats on a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Posts: 372 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animals, the grant's looks huge to me but I don't know what the trophy standard.

I can't imagine losing my camera after the trip. Eeker

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Very fine report and well done on you to take the risk of hunting a new concession. Looks like it paid dividends.

The photo of the herd of buff shows a great buff on the far left.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
East African dik-dik

Or would that be Kirk's Dik-Dik?

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Very fine report and well done on you to take the risk of hunting a new concession. Looks like it paid dividends.

The photo of the herd of buff shows a great buff on the far left.

That's the one on the right. 42". The one on the left had deeper curls but still came in at 41"

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1848 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
Great hunting trip Mike! Some very cool looking animals there.

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 382 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding hunt and trophies. It appears that someone installed the bolt on your rifle on the wrong side...

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great trip. beer

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, great report. Masailand is hard to beat for 40+ inch buffalo.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
You did very well. Nice adventure!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Nice bag. Congrats.

quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
Hasheem also assured me they have lots of Gerenuk

With all deference to the operator, isn't Naberera very far south of the gerenuk's current range?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done to both you and Arjun. Thank you for sharing!

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 15 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Nice bag. Congrats.

quote:

With all deference to the operator, isn't Naberera very far south of the gerenuk's current range?

Yes, the boundary of this Naberera concession is at least 45 minutes of a hard drive to the nearest Gerenuk location at Landanai (another concession) or you haul ass way North of Simanjiro.

The buffalo were hunted in yet another concession as well (on the spur of the moment) - food for thought for those who are familiar with how hunting permits work. coffee

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done and excellent report. Useful info indeed.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Nice bag. Congrats.

quote:

Yes, the boundary of this Naberera concession is at least 45 minutes of a hard drive to the nearest Gerenuk location at Landanai (another concession) or you haul ass way North of Simanjiro.

The buffalo were hunted in yet another concession as well (on the spur of the moment) - food for thought for those who are familiar with how hunting permits work. coffee

I talked to the PH about this Gerenuk issue and he sent me these photos along with a trophy shot with an unknown hunter (so I am not posting it) that he tells me were taken is his concession.

If you have any questions about the ability to take Gerenuk in this concession then please contact Arjun Reddy of Hunter's Network (he posts here all the time) for more info.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Great hunt and lovely trophies. Masailand is a special place indeed.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Nice bag. Congrats.

quote:

I talked to the PH about this Gerenuk issue and he sent me these photos along with a trophy shot with an unknown hunter (so I am not posting it) that he tells me were taken is his concession.

If you have any questions about the ability to take Gerenuk in this concession then please contact Arjun Reddy of Hunter's Network (he posts here all the time) for more info.

They certainly used to range to the south of Naberera - I have seen them in Ilkoishibor and Makame - though this was some time ago...

Really good Grants - congratulations.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Looks like you had a great trip.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They certainly used to range to the south of Naberera - I have seen them in Ilkoishibor and Makame - though this was some time ago...

Indeed, even as far south as Kiteto, Ruvu Maasai and Kisima la Mungu at least 20 years ago, but there hasn't been a single one seen in the Simanjiro GCA, Maasai Open, Naberera/Rotian areas in donkey's years.

We had the concession at Landanai specifically for Gerenuk, Lesser Kudu and the occasional hard-to-get Grants and Oryx and the numerous Vulturine Guinea fowl.

And even then, the Gerenuk were not as plentiful as one might think and your best chances would be early morning/late evening.

Landanai was also a great venue for Leopard and for the adventurous types, rooting out Buffalo on the mountain. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
congratlations! a wonderful safari

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies!

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hurry back Mike, will keep a cold Kili in the 3 Degrees bar waiting. I noted Rafeal in your photos. He is an excellent PH. I always enjoy hunting Maasailand if for no other reason there are no Tetse flies.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing trophies! Congrats !

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Fantastic animals, Mike, especially those monster buff. And thanks for a truly top notch report. Congratulations!!!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report !
What is the usual shooting range there for Grants, Thompson etc..? Did you have to shoot far ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under 200 yards I would say. I shot the Grants at 200 and the tommy at 100. I organize these hunts.

Thanks,

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628
2019, DSC booth # 1222
2019, SCI booth # 4209

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Under 200 yards I would say. I shot the Grants at 200 and the tommy at 100. I organize these hunts.

Thanks,

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628
2019, DSC booth # 1222
2019, SCI booth # 4209

That's about right except I shot the Grants at 100 and the Tommy at 200.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Excellent report. Thanks for sharing

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just found this as I'm researching for a Maasai Land hunt. Great report! Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed reading it.
Bob

Picture of Hart's horns
posted Hide Post
GunsCore,

That black and white photo is badass. I would love your permission to render it in charcoal. I recently did this buffalo in chalk.

You could PM me if interested. Nice hunt,

Thanks,

Scot

Harvest it first. Then draw it.

Posts: 8 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 19 March 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Mike, big congratulations on your safari.

Great animals and fantastic experience in the world's best hunting grounds!

Bravo!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
What a GREAT POST...thank you for sharing... I am planning on doing that hunt, next season!! I know Tim Vinning...on other side of our mountains...
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your adventures; great report

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote