New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ethiopia with Jason Nassos - Wow!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your report is one of the most informative that I have ever read. Ethiopia is a now a definite must. Congrats on a superb adventure in every respect

Tim

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunt and report.

how old was the Nyala? Horns look massive if not too long.

I just love those dik diks!

Yes - I will also read them again and with special whisky!

Thanks for the great pleasure - including the little historical comments.
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Now that was an excellent account of what looked to be the most marvellous and unusual safari. Very descriptive and some great photography.

The Nyala and all other trophies seemed to be first class and I especially like the Lesser Kudu.

I am going to read this one again with a small glass of good whiskey.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11002 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,
Not sure how old. The horns were 35" but heavy. Jason said he was a solid mature bull. These are a bit like bongo and others, you do not get to look at a lot of bulls. When a good appears, it is "go" time.

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful report. Thanks for taking the time to share your safari so thoroughly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for a fantastic report; one that shows a full appreciation for the breadth and depth of the safari experience. And congratulations on some superb trophies

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Wonderful safari, great trophies and your report is outstanding.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome Report. Very jealous!

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
As always, great report Ross! Thank you for allowing me to take part in it!

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice animals taken, congratulations dogcat.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Your reports never disappoint.

Excellent as always and many congrats on a great hunt, Ross.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Superb report, as per the usual.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Ross, Congratulations to you and madam! Great report, great animals and great pictures. Really appreciate your detail and descriptions.

Disappointed that you didn't shoot any pigs! Were the warties worth travelling to Ethiopia for ?

Cheers and again congrats.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2242 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
An outstanding report. So much in fact I had to read all of your others that I had not read in the past. Well done, well done. Thanks for sharing. A country and species I will most likely never be able to hunt; so thank you for sharing.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT report. I love the details and the general observations. You have excellent pics that I always love to look at. Sounds like a great safari. You took some great animals. Love the Dik Diks. Very nice looking. Congrats Bruce

Posts: 371 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Ross, Congratulations to you and madam! Great report, great animals and great pictures. Really appreciate your detail and descriptions.

Disappointed that you didn't shoot any pigs! Were the warties worth travelling to Ethiopia for ?

Charlie

Charlie,
I was all over to shoot warthogs. The problem was that there were hundreds of them. They were everywhere. I exaggerate not. For whatever reason, the locals do not eat them and the game department issues very few permits for them. Jason asked that I refrain as he needed the 4 he on quota for leopard baits. I was seriously tempted many times. I saw more warthogs in a day there than cumulative on all of my previous trips to Africa. This is pig heaven....

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Great report, as always. Awesome pic of bee eater on kori bustard. Also fuel is overrated Wink. You can fly faster with less weight

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report, truly a dream adventure, you took some fantastic animals and Jason has to be one of the best PHs in Africa, hope you got to meet his father which i consider one of the great legends of Africa. Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A truly fantastic report, thank you for taking the time and sharing.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and many thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great adventure! Your report was very well written and made for a very interesting read. Your pictures are also excellent. Thanks for sharing. I think this one is worth another read.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fantastic trip and thank you for taking the time to write a report.

Yes your Gara Gumbi dik dik is a handsome little fellow for sure.

Ethiopian Airlines is old fashioned in away. My brother and I were on the plane about 10 minutes. He leans over and says, evidently you have to be beautiful to get a stewardess job.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You just raised the bar on report writing! Great report. Thanks

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ross,

You are now absolutely and unquestionably confirmed as the official King, and your lovely wife, the Queen, of hunt reports.

Just a wonderfully generous, thoughtful and superb report. I may have to hunt in Ethiopia.

If I may, these are my favorite parts:

• Not a direct quote, but I loved your comparison of the two dung beetles that were fighting over the dung ball to Weatherby Award candidates. [Perfect.]

• "There are no camps as we stayed in a hotel in Awash. The hotel was a typical rural hotel, limited power, a questionable kitchen in a pretty grim little town. We survived and had a good time there. All in all it was fine." [Grim, limited, questionable, and fine. Again, perfect.]

• "We made a stalk and I proceeded to miss two 125 yard shots. It is not unusual that I miss a shot but unusual I would miss two from 125 yards on a standing broadside animal. Sometimes you get lazy, lift your head on the shot and miss. I did that. Jason wanted to check the gun, so we did and found that the issue was me and not the gun. Oh well." [I hear you, brother! As one who has done that. And I respect your humanity, humility and honesty.]

• "We paid the staff, tipped the staff and took a lot of pictures. We really enjoyed the camp staff in this camp and in the Omo camp. They were fun people and hard working." [Critical players and too often underappreciated. The folks in camp make all the difference.]

• Grant's gazelle and gerenuk. [East Africa's jewels, in my opinion. Congrats.]

• Bustards. [I could swear I was behind one driving a Ford on I-93 this morning.]

• "In the end, we learned that (I think this is the truth but you never know in Africa) the shooter’s tribe was grazing cows in an area that is used by another tribe. The excuse for the shot was that he thought we were “spies” and were going to tell the other tribe these guys were in the wrong territory. These two tribes do not get along and there was some cattle stealing and other mischief going on between them. We happened to be in the crossfire. Anyway, no holes were found in our guys or me or the jeep. We decided to avoid this area and hunt somewhere else (duh!)." [This happens in Chicago every day. But no kidding, and pardon my French, but holy sh#t! Glad there were no casualties.]

• "Nothing really earth shattering at the end of the trip other than a long charter ride to Addis Ababa and getting caught in serious fog and running a bit low on fuel. (see the pictures of the warning lights)." [I will bet green money that the pilots did not have gray hair. I want all of my pilots to have gray hair. No gray hair is no good!]

Again, just the non plus ultra of hunt reports. So informative and entertaining.

Thanks so much.

Best,

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Thanks for the kind words.
Come hunt pronghorns with Jim Welles and we may be able to meet up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,
That was the most comprehensive report on an Ethiopian Safari with ERVS I've ever read.

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Some always have great safaris....attitude determines that more than anything I believe.

You always have a great attitude, Ross, and write a top-shelf report for us all to enjoy.

Thank you.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
Ross,
That was the most comprehensive report on an Ethiopian Safari with ERVS I've ever read.

Rich,
Credit to you originally getting me interested a few years ago. I see why you have been there so many times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report Ross. Congrats.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerenuk and Grant's without going to Msssailand....pretty cool!

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need a Blaser for the next trip!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Mike,
Thanks for the kind words.
Come hunt pronghorns with Jim Welles and we may be able to meet up.

Ross, that would be great. We are already booked for the middle of October this year. Jim has been terrific in helping us set up a pre-hunt tour as well. Let's be in touch.

And again, superb report!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Charlie

Charlie,
I was all over to shoot warthogs. The problem was that there were hundreds of them. They were everywhere. I exaggerate not. For whatever reason, the locals do not eat them and the game department issues very few permits for them. Jason asked that I refrain as he needed the 4 he on quota for leopard baits. I was seriously tempted many times. I saw more warthogs in a day there than cumulative on all of my previous trips to Africa. This is pig heaven....

4 on quota. Most numerous animal. THAT is Africa all right.

DSC
SCI Life
NRA Life
WSF Life <1 Club

Posts: 177 | Location: Bitterroot Valley, MT | Registered: 02 April 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunt reported.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66664 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a trip. Thank you for putting together such a great report!

Posts: 808 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Thanks - best hunt report for a long time

Good Hunting
Carl Frederik

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36367 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic trip, trophies, pictures and report! I want to go! My first African animal was a Damara dik-dik and I would love to be able to hunt these species. Congratulations!

Posts: 297 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Absolutely fantastic! Thank you very much for sharing.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
As always I am blown away by your reports and adventures. As another person who has lived the expat life I am always amazed how much you cram into a lifetime.

I did some quick calculating and came up with a couple hundred dollars less than $130,000 to hunt every species, in every area excepting leopard on a 36 day hunt with the Roussos. What a wonderful way to spend that kind of money.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big WW,
If you don't spend that money on something you will remember, your kids will be flying business class everywhere they go when you pass on. Spend it now - let them fly coach!!!