New
Find
Notify
Tools

Escaping the madness
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Kindly skip to the next post, I managed to quote myself in editing.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balule:
I can’t imagine that anyone on AR has escaped the craziness that has descended on the world.
Let me break the dreadful silence on the hunting reports forum with my week’s escape from the craziness with a report on a very humble hunt.

The way I understand it is that one of the leaders in the hunting industry whispered in the ministers ear that meat hunting could be seen as ‘subsistence’ hunting. The next moment regulations are promulgated that allows meat hunters to go hunting and cross provincial borders, that suddenly put a small, closed group of us back on track for our yearly pilgrimage to the Sand River north of the Soutpansberg in Limpopo.

Every year in May we usually go hunting for impala, warthog and kudu on a very large property, camping on the bank of the Sand River and having the privilege to hunt without any guides.

Like all government regulations, they are never clear and with an African police force doing the enforcing we were worried about the kids. Every hunter needs a permit to travel and cross provincial borders and we were worried about being turned back because of the kids, the youngest being my son already 11 years old and a hunter. In due course all the permits were procured for everybody and the date of departure decided upon.

We decided to help the police with decision making by crossing the provincial border at 04:00 in the morning and as we expected the road block was unmanned….

By 09:00 we were already pitching camp, basking in the warmth of the Bushveld sun, far away from the craziness that has descended on the world.

The bush was the typical grey of the African winter but with decent grass cover after all the years of drought, unexpectedly the Sand River was very dry with the usual huge pool reduced to holes in the sand dug by the game and none of the usual seeps.

Fortunately the dam on the property still had some good water.

The battery for my son and I consisted of a Ruger 77/44 in 44 Rem Mag, an old commercial M98 Musgrave in 270 Win and my recently carbinised BRNO ZKK602 in 375H&H.

On an early morning walk along a drainage line we saw kudu cows, an impala ram, waterbuck bull but the highlight was a Redbreasted Shrike. No shot opportunities arose.

Seeing that my son has already shot warthog I wanted him to shoot impala but that afternoon nature offered him a good warthog boar and I urged him to take it which he did with the 270.

The next morning he connected with a good looking impala ram with which he was very happy as his first antelope

After the shot I was hit by emotion - my dad passed away 3 years before my son was born. The 270 that I had restocked and Cerakoted was bought for me by my dad in 1979 after he got a tax return. From the grave he reaches out and touches his grandson through a rifle...

The overseer who is a Zimbabwean and does the skinning was worried about his wive when we took the impala in for skinning. She was on her way back from Beit Bridge, he explained that she walked home with a load of dried guts as food for their family. Every animal that we shot the guts was washed and dried - as he explained the poverty in Zim has no bounds.

In the light that we didn't have the proper permits to transport the warthog I wanted to gift him the warthog. A plan hatched in the back of my head. We try very hard to instill a sense of value in our children, everything is worth something. I told my son that if he buys the warthog from me, we can gift it to the skinner but then he can shoot another impala for free.

True to his one eigth Scottich ancestry the little miser struggled for 36h with the question!

We had dug open the holes dug by the game in the river and was surprised to see the next day that a proper seep had developed. The increase in surface water was quickly reflected in the amount of fresh impala sign.

As in most outdoor pursuits fire, coffee, food, cameraderie and camp life leaves a lot of memories.

While the young man was still mulling about my offer I hunted a day on my own, walking a long distance only getting to camp after dark. My reward - seeing 3 impala in the distance and bumping a sounder of warthog, just another reminder that hunting can be very frustrating.

Getting back to camp the little miser had now decided that my offer made a great deal of financial sense and was ready to go hunting again. I told him that is all good but I am going to shoot some impala before het gets a chance again.

The next day I connected with 2 impala.

I am still hunting for that monster kudu and this part of the country is known for good trophies I decided to put in a good effort the last morning and 30 minutes before first light we left in the truck for a low range of hills I thought would be worth searching for kudu.

We had perfect conditions - the wind quartering towards us, early sunlight from the side and quite cold. We sneaked along slowly searching the sunny spots for that elusive kudu bull, into the wind we heard the impala rams snorting and chasing each other. Initially I ignored them but our courses were destined to collide, we got closer and closer to each other and I started stalking them.
Suddenly the snorting was replaced by a low growl and gasping for air, it sounded as if a leopard was killing an impala. I passed the shooting sticks back to hold the 375 in both hands and carefully stalked in.

Just last year I bumped into a leopard stalking the same impala as I. The next moments horns clashed and it was silent, coming round a bush I met 2 impala rams eyeing each other 20 yards away. I think they had their horns locked and that the weaker one was gasping for breath. The bigger one met his match in the shape of a 300gr Nosler Partition.

Quietly sneaking around the dam and my son misses a shot on an impala. I force him to spend 45 minutes looking for blood, well knowing that he missed the impala as I was watching it with binoculars. With trepidation I ask him if he is finished hunting or should we try again.
My heart lifts when he says we must try again, he explains that he lifted his head after pulling the trigger to see the impact and that is why he missed.

I quietly coach him on shooting form and let him dryfire 10 times. My heart swells when he drops an impala in another 45 minutes of hunting.

A story: In the farmhouse this old rusted rifle and an action is mounted on a plank, I had seen them before but never asked what the story was.

The skinner explains that he was trimming branches when he saw something funny in a hollow inside a tree next to baobab at the farmhouse. That is where he pulled out this old rusted rifle.

To my untrained eye the action looks like a Lee-Enfield and the barreled action maybe a Mauser M96.

What would the story be: rifles hidden during the Anglo-Boer War in 1902, or during the rebellion in 1914, or maybe at a later stage when the old rifles became a legal liability due to paperwork?
How many impala has the Mauser shot next to the Sand River?

The romantic corner of our souls can always dream about the past; of wars, of hunting and protecting and providing for the love of your life.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time with the family. I miss the sights, sounds, and smells of Africa :-(

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Very good story and pictures.

Thank you for sharing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting that story and the great pics. I really enjoyed it all, thanks for sharing!

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Loved every minute of it! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Balute, I sure enjoyed your story and photos. Wonderful country and nice camp.

Your two boys are radiant! The way you are raising them... My father was that way and then I was that way. My two sons are now that way with their boys. Last year my 10 year old grandson came with the family to Limpopo South Africa and hunted a Blesbok and a Kudu.
In the camp photos I see a pokey pot with coals top and bottom. I can smell it! The tall water kettle, Is that one of those double walled kettles where the flame/heat goes up through the centre chimney? I forget what they are called, Kelly heater?, Tin kelly?
I have an old smaller one and the trade name on it is Thermette.

Thanks again for posting your excellent adventure. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you and your family! A very uplifting post during these times.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report. Our camp overlooks the sand river, but we must be downstream from where you are.

Man I wish I was there!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
super Smiler

Good Hunting
carl Frederik

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hannay, Yes! that's it. Kelly Kettle. Thanks.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a Kelly Kettle, manufactured in the UK.
Something that is not really known in SA, always draw enquiring glances if used in a public camping spot.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great report and fine shooting on behalf of your son. Thanks for posting that!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting the report. It seems you are raising your boys to be responsible hunters! It reminded me of my first hunting trip to upstate NY with my Grandfather and two uncles.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly for the report sir! Well done and enjoyed immensely. Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for giving me a few minutes in Africa.

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done and love the title... madness indeed!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I never tire of seeing young people in the bush and hunting. Thanks for the pics.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Balule, Kelly Kettle, Thanks. I have never seen one in Canada. I am going to get one !
You set up a nice camp. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sir, on a successful hunt, for both yourself and your boys.

You are obviously proud of your family as you should be, and I loved the lesson of searching for blood, even if the boy thought it was a missed shot. Excellent job dad!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Congrats to all.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great post, thank you.

I think everyone that has read this report sighed and thought: I wish I was there!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Martinus- awesome weekend ! Good to see the boys been boys and having fun! When this madness ends the river camp still awaits you guys ! Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job. Wonderful way to spend time with your kids. Thanks for sharing. Most of us wish we could be doing the same thing....
Bruce

Posts: 372 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the story and the pictures.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report, I envy you the time hunting with the young people.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the best hunt report I've read here. Thanks for taking the time to write it and including so many pictures of camp life.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great report and so nice to see people spending such quality time with their kids, and teaching important lessons at the same time. Wonderful pics as well! Thanks for sharing.

Craig

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentleman, I thank you for all the kind replies.

All the positive comments makes the time spent in writing such a report well worth it, especially in these strange times where many of our freedoms to follow our way of life have been curbed.

Buzz, not a day passes that I am not thinking of the Valley!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . I am just glad the boys got Lorinda's good looks. Smiler

. . . well done Martinus, I am envious. tu2

Mike

Posts: 21193 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike! We could use you here, the president is addressing the 'nation' tonight about Covid-19. I can't watch as we have load shedding at that time. Mad I think we need somebody that can run power stations!
Hope you are well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful report!
I felt the same sense of pride when my boy (10) took his first impala a week or so ago.

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to him, it is a huge privilege to share those big moments with the next generation!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good on you! No pressure and huge amounts of fun..

Posts: 1533 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Lekker Martinus nice going and see your boys are basically ready to shoot BASA again when we can get going again sure you are ready too.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, loved it!

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Great report and fine shooting on behalf of your son. Thanks for posting that!

+1 tu2

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote