ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Schalk Pienaar Safaris Namibia - July 2017

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schalk Pienaar Safaris Namibia - July 2017
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
Schalk Pienaar Safaris Namibia

July 3rd – 9th, 2017

PH: Schalk Pienaar

Rifle: Christensen Arms 300 Ultra Mag

Ammunition: 180 Nosler Accubond

Species Taken: Sable, Steenbok, Warthog, Klipspringer, Black Backed Jackal, Mountain Zebra (2), Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Black Wildebeest

Species seen but not Taken: Nyala, Giraffe, Blesbok, Springbok, Impala, Duiker, Baboon, Southern Greater Kudu, Burchell’s Zebra, Gemsbok, Cheetah, Eland, Ostrich

I had my H-S Precision 375 H&H as rifle number 2 but it never came out of the case on this trip. I normally use the 375 in Africa but elected to carry the 300 hoping for an opportunity at a Baboon and knowing most likely it would be long distance.

This would be my first safari in Namibia and certainly won’t be my last.

I am very cautious and careful when I book a trip to Africa and as Schalk can attest to; I booked years in advance and left no stone unturned or at least try not to.

Rather than write a day by day summary of the trip; in this case I am going to write in on a species level, camp, etc.

I had hunted with Kanana Safaris back in 2012 when it first reopened. Jason knew I wanted to eventually hunt in Namibia and introduced me to Schalk at the SCI show. I go to the show yearly to see good friends like Jason, the Rudman’s and many more as well as the taxidermy work.

This safari would consist of two friends from Indiana, Joel and Annie as well as three friends from Nevada, Arnie and Marysabel and Keith the cameraman.

The trip took me from Salt Lake City to Atlanta. Atlanta to Johannesburg. Overnight at the City Lodge. Then from Joburg to Windhoek. From Windhoek it was about a three hour drive to camp.

Like always, I used Shawn at Gracy Travel for all of my bookings to Africa. Once again it was nothing but smooth in the services they provided for myself.

Having taken some really good trophies in the past at Kanana and Blaauwkrantz, I was in a position where I could be picky. My main goals for this safari were a Mountain Zebra, Klipspringer and possibly a Sable depending on how big, etc. with everything else just being a bonus. When in Africa, I just cannot not pull the trigger but in most cases on this safari I actually refrained and just took pictures. It is hard to top a 44 1/2” Gemsbok and the walls of my trophy room are getting fuller all the time so I need to be selective.

WARTHOG

There were lots of waterholes on the various properties we hunted but to truly find a good boar there was one place we would focus on. It was a very large waterhole where sows, piglets and the boars would like clockwork start to come in around 11:00 A.M. and were done and gone no later than 2:00 P.M. The area was very rocky and the boars break or rub their tusks all the time so they do not get exceptionally long. Over the course of the safari I saw two very nice boars and elected to take one of them. I should have shot both but was hoping Joel or Arnie would get an opportunity later on. I love Warthog European mounts. On the day I took this boar we setup along the edge of the waterhole which is almost like a small pond. About 70 yards wide and 100 yards deep. This boar came in from our right and started to work his way around the pond drinking and feeding. I had taken longer tusked boars in the past but could not pass up this opportunity. On the shot there was no recovery, he fell at the spot of the shot. Another great skull for the trophy room. They never get old.

Photo Credit Keith Clark

STEENBOK

I love hunting the Tiny 10 and wanted a trophy Steenbok for a life-size mount. Over the course of the safari we easily saw over 50 rams. I was being picky and Schalk wanted an exceptional trophy as this would most likely be the last Steenbok I shot unless I come across a true monster later in life. The bigger rams were always more active in the early morning but we did see multiple rams throughout the day and at night as well. On the second to last day we came across this ram early in the morning and I was able to take him off the sticks at about 75 yards. I think it would be hard to find an an area where there are more Steenbok.

BLUE WILDEBEEST

I had zero interest in taking a poor man’s buffalo on this trip but like many other plans in Africa they are subject to change at all times. We saw dozens of Blue’s each day. I did not have the desire until Schalk spotted this bull with a cow and he just had the classic look of a Cape Buffalo. I liked it and the hunt was on. We were able to close the distance to around 250 yards and I got on the sticks. On the shot the bull ran less than 100 yards and collapsed. A beautiful bull and trophy. We saw several good bulls over the course of the safari and hunting them with Schalk is recommended. Joel took a beautiful Blue bull as well.

A live photo from when we were out and about.

BLACK WILDEBEEST

I did not think there were this many Black Wildebeest in all of Namibia. I am still shocked how many bulls we saw over the course of the safari. We easily saw over 100 bulls. I still have a hard time believing how many we saw. There were herds of 6 to 12 bulls everywhere. Seeing so many good bulls, Schalk recommended we wait until we saw “the one” and it took five days but we finally found him with another bull early in the morning. After a short stalk I was on the sticks and took the bull at approximately 150 yards. The bull has it all and I will have a hard time taking a larger one. An exceptional trophy. Joel also took an excellent bull as well. For those interested in taking a Black Wildebeest I cannot imagine a better place to go. They are everywhere. Joel took an excellent bull as well. A species that I love the look of whether for a shoulder mount or European mount. I highly highly recommend to pursue one with Schalk!

MOUNTAIN ZEBRA

The main species I wanted when I booked this hunt. Schalk has access to some property in the Khomas Hochland Mountains. There are several species in these mountains but our focus would be Mtn Zebra and Klipspringer. We departed well before light as the drive from camp to the mountains was several hours. Over the course of the day we saw Gemsbok, Warthogs, Ostrich, Klipspringer, Kudu as well as leopard tracks. The weather was unseasonably warm for this time of year and the Zebra were already held up in the trees within a couple hours of the sun being up. We put on a few stalks throughout the day but the wind was bad or it just did not work out one way or another. In the afternoon around 4:00 P.M. or so we spotted a herd of seven with the stallion bringing up the rear. The herd was immediately on the run from right to left. With a quick off hand shot on the stallion what was a herd of Zebra running turned into utter chaos with Zebra running in all directions. On the shot the stallion continued at full speed in a downward angle and ran less than 100 yards before collapsing. The stallion was everything I had hoped he would be for a shoulder mount, big scars on his neck, a beaten up face from keeping his herd and a great shoulder mount.

While looking over the stallion two mares appeared on the hillside directly across from us. Wanting a rug, in my opinion a mare makes a better rug from not being chewed on or bitten, I immediately settled the crosshair and the mare on the right collapsed on the shot.

I had accomplished my goal of taking two Zebra; one shoulder mount and one rug.

I love hunting Zebra and have been fortunate to take several. It never gets old and I hope to hunt them again in the future.

Having horses at home I am always amazed at the hooves of a Zebra. Horses at home need constant care of their hooves but yet the hooves of every Zebra I have ever taken are perfect and look like they were just trimmed.

Joel and Arnie took Mtn Zebra as well.

KLIPSPRINGER

I love hunting the Tiny 10 and pursuing a Rock Jumper was very high on my list as I had never seen one while on safari. Our goal while hunting in the mountains was to look for Zebra first and when we come across a Klipspringer the hunt would be on. In the late morning we came across a ram and ewe but Schalk said we could do better. In the early afternoon we came across another pair but the ram was not a trophy. Having taken two Zebra late in the day and with the sun starting to drop we were working our way back to camp and I had resigned myself to thinking there would not be a Klippie taken on this day. Just before we started to climb out of the bottom of the valley the cruiser stopped and Schalk had located a pair. After careful examination Schalk said I should take this ram. The pair were in the rocks and making their way from right to left. It took some time but I was eventually able to settle the crosshair at a distance of about 300 yards and the ram was down on the shot. The trackers recovered the ram in a hurry as light was fading fast and I was able to snap a photo right before complete darkness and more in the dark. One horn is a bit shorter than the other but overall a great trophy and will be a good addition to the Tiny 10 collection at home.

RED HARTEBEEST

I think Namibia and Red Hartebeest are synonymous with each other. I was set on a taking a great bull on this trip. We saw several good bulls, a few great bulls and a lot of cows. When this lone bull was spotted, the stalk was on and at 200 yards I was on the sticks. On the shot the bull collapsed on the shot. Hunting Red Hartebeest is a must when in Namibia and Schalk has a lot of them to pursue. I love the length and mass of a good Red bull. A unique shoulder mount and European mount. Arnie took a large Red as well.

Photo Credit Keith Clark

SABLE

I love hunting Kudu, Nyala and Bushbuck but consider the Sable the pinnacle of all plains game species. I had several conversations with Schalk about possibly hunting a Sable and what I would look for. I had told myself that I would most likely only take one Sable in my life and I wanted a bull that would break the 40 inch mark. Schalk assured me there were several nice bulls and with seven full hunting days we should be able to find a bull that would break the 40 inch mark.

I was shocked at the number of mature bulls we saw over the course of the safari. I saw at least 10 mature trophy bulls.

One morning we spotted a big nasty male baboon barking and yelling from his spot in a tree 800 yards away. I wanted a big male really bad and we were in stalking mode trying to close the distance for a quality shot. As we walked by a camel thorn thicket we heard some noise and out of the opposite side of the thicket ran a Sable bull. The bull ran to about 75 yards and turned broadside and looked at us like Mule Deer will do. Schalk had the glasses on him from the second he came out of the thicket and said we needed to take the bull. I was on the sticks and the bull was walking away on an angle from us when I touched the trigger. The bull took off on a dead run and I was following him in the scope and preparing for another shot when he stopped at about 200 yards. Another shot and the bull was down. It was a drastic rush of emotions going from hunting a stinky nasty baboon to taking the pinnacle of all plains game. When I walked up to the downed bull I knew he was special. Schalk was smiling and asked me if I realized what was laying in front of us. The bull was magnificent. After admiring the bull and giving thanks the trackers arrived with the cruiser. I couldn’t take it and had to put a tape to him even though length and score are not what make a hunt successful. The bull taped a stunning 43 1/4 inches. I was shocked and surprised. The bull was beyond anything I could have hoped for.

During the safari, Joel took a big Sable bull over 41 inches and Arnie took a big bull over 42 inches. We were all very fortunate and thankful to take such a magnificent species. Schalk informed us he only takes 4-5 Sable bulls per year and we had almost taken his quota in one week. We were all thankful and fortunate and gladded we talked to Schalk well in advance about his limited quota and us being able to secure part of it.

Someone wanting a big Sable would be wise to pursue them with Schalk as there are quality bulls now and will be in the future.

I will always love hunting Kudu, Nyala and Bushbuck, my favorite three plains game but it will we hard to recreate the emotion and feeling of walking up and seeing such a magnificent species like this bull.

SAND GROUSE

I am not a bird hunter plain and simple. I prefer to hunt something with antlers, horns or claws. BUT Schalk offered us an opportunity on the last morning to pursue these fast flying birds and it was simply amazing. In just a couple of hours we took 60 birds and missed many more than that. Even though I am not a bird hunter I would highly recommend taking a morning to do this hunt. A great time was had by all Even this non-bird hunter. I enjoy bird hunting just not as much as big game hunting.

BLACKED BACK JACKAL

I was actually shocked at the lack of Jackals. I am used to seeing a bunch over the course of the safari. Kudos to Schalk and his staff for taking as many as possible to help keep all my Tiny 10 friends alive. I ended up taking one just before dark as we were headed back to camp. Needless to say a 180 grain Accubond and a Jackal don’t get along well and make for poor pictures.

KUDU

My favorite species to hunt and to think I would pursue other species on this safari in their place. I took my Kudu hunting time to pursue Sable. There had been a bad rabies outbreak a few years ago and the Kudu are starting to recover. We were never in pursuit of a big Kudu bull but did come across three bulls during the course of the safari in the 52-55” range. I really question myself now for not pursuing the big 55” bull. The Kudu in general are recovering but over the course of the safari taking a 50” or better bull is very realistic.

CHEETAH

On two previous safaris I had never seen a cheetah. While we were hunting our way towards the Warthog waterhole I spotted two Cheetahs. Very cool to see them as they were on the hunt as well. There were some Warthogs they were pursuing. As soon as they saw us in the cruiser they were gone.

ELAND

I had taken a great Eland bull at Kanana so unless we came across a 40” bull I was not interested. We saw several cows and calves and some young bulls but no trophy bulls. I also know we were not hunting them or looking for them and the others in our group came across some really nice bulls.

GIRAFFE

If a person wants a giraffe this is the place to go. There are giraffes, giraffes and more giraffes. We came across several old dark stink bulls but already having one and no place for a second one I elected to just take pictures. Great price, great trophy, great place to pursue them.

BLESBOK

A unique trophy but not the smartest or most wary species. We saw several dozen of them and having taken one in the past, unless I found an exceptional one I would pass. Taking an above average trophy would not be a problem and ample shot opportunities were presented had I elected to take one.

SPRINGBOK

Dozens and dozens and dozens of rams and ewes seen while we were out and about. Annie took a great 14” plus ram as did Arnie. Taking a great ram should not be a problem. Lots and lots of Springbok in big herds.

IMPALA

Another species I have been lucky and taken a large trophy in the past having taken a 24” ram and 23 3/4” ram at Kanana. We saw dozens of ewes and many great rams. I elected to pass and take pictures. Joel took a bomber ram at just over 25”. This was the 2nd ram over 25” taken on or before we arrived. There are big Impala in this area! Taking a 23” or better ram is not a problem and there is a real chance for 24”.

DUIKER

Over the course of seven days we saw several rams and ewes. I had taken a monster ram at Blaauwkrantz and did not really have an interest as we were always pursuing something else. We saw several good rams and were not looking closely. I know if we spent time and looked specifically for a big ram we would have found one.

BABOON

MY NEMESIS! I have always wanted a large male for a life-size mount. I know they are smart and not a gimme and once again it was Baboons (1) and Justin (0). A baboon actually cost my Sable his life. We heard the bark of a big male and spotted him over 800 yards away in a tree. We started to close the distance when the Sable bull came out of a thicket. When a 43” plus Sable bull is in front of you that is just a shot I could not pass. Over the course of the safari we saw baboons a couple of times but they were on the dead run through the trees. Someday I will take this nemesis of mine. Someday!

BURCHELL’S ZEBRA

Having shot a half dozen Burchell’s in the past there was zero chance I was going to shoot another one. I had Mtn Zebra on the mind. We saw dozens of stallions, mares and foals. Taking a great stallion for a shoulder mount or mare for a rug would not be problem. I love hunting Zebra and it was fun to see them each day.

GEMSBOK

What can I say, Namibia and Gemsbok go hand in hand. We saw so so many Gemsbok. Literally hundreds. There were bulls and cows around every corner. I took a 44 1/2” cow and 40” bull at Kanana so I was looking for something funky or at least 40”. We looked over dozens and dozens of bulls and I elected to take pictures rather than pull the trigger. I could have taken several bulls in the 38” range with no problem. A great trophy to pursue with Schalk. Arnie and Joel both took great trophies on this hunt.

NYALA

I had taken a very old bull with the Rudman’s and done a life-size mount. I will shoot another one when I find one that breaks the 30” mark. We were not hunting them but came across two beautiful bulls one evening and Schalk estimated the bigger bull at 28 inches and I elected to pass. Arnie took what we believe was this bull two days later and he had a length of 28 1/4”. I am excited for Arnie and know if we spent the time we could find one pushing the 30” mark.

LEOPARD

Schalk offers excellent Leopard hunting over bait in the Khomas Hochland Mountains. He has taken a couple of excellent toms already this year. We did see some tracks while pursuing Zebra.

BROWN HYENA

Unfortunately non-importable but Schalk takes a couple per year and normally they are taken while hunting Leopard as they will come into the bait. The hunter before we arrived had taken one as well as a hunter within the last month.

CAMP/ACCOMMODATIONS

Not much I can say other than wow, very very nice. The food was excellent, the staff were very accommodating. We tried all sorts of different meats and ate like kings. The accommodations were very nice and my wife he thinks camping is staying at a hotel would have been very very happy at this place especially by the swimming pool.

I am not in a position where I can go days without checking in at work, responding to emails, etc. The Wifi is excellent! I had zero issues and in fact had excellent coverage everywhere at camp. This was good for me as well as the wives that came along.

SUMMARY

Hunting with Schalk was an excellent decision and I cannot wait to do it again. Next time will be for Dik Dik and other species. Schalk was well prepared, has excellent accommodations, staff, etc. I would recommend hunting with Schalk and his staff for young hunters, spouses as well as seasoned hunters. Namibia is an amazing country and should be on anyone wanting to hunt Africa bucket list. Schalk also offers opportunities for the Big 5 in the Caprivi. Schalk is young and ambitious but don’t let age be a factor as he has two decades of hunting experience. Thanks to Schalk and Amore (Schalk’s spouse) for an excellent safari.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report and trophies. I've hunted in Namibia four times, and it seems to get better each time.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
You chose well and your report and the quality of animals you took are outstanding.

The Sable is a trophy of a life time. Well done.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good stuff!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Schalk back in 2007 on my first Safari. He is an outstanding PH. Highly recommend him.

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Great read and pictures. Ditto Andrew - that sable is quality pure !

Thanks for taking time to post.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice sable and the rest of the group looks like they had a great time. I met Schalk at SCI this year and talked double rifles and Leopard, I plan on starting a serious discussion on hunting the spotted cat with him and some point.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildmansix:
Very nice sable and the rest of the group looks like they had a great time. I met Schalk at SCI this year and talked double rifles and Leopard, I plan on starting a serious discussion on hunting the spotted cat with him and some point.

Schalk has taken some very nice leopards this year. Very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You were lucky. I hunted with him some years back and the hunt was terrible. All on him. Out of ten safaris that was the only one I regret going on. Still can’t hang my trophy on the wall. Don’t even want to think about it.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report with some beautiful trophies!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
My wife hunted leopard with him in '15. I got to go along and shoot bait!

Wonderful hunt, she got a very nice Tom on day 6, and we would happily go with him again.

He hunts hard, knows his business, and made golf a great hunt.

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
"Made golf" ??? Supposed to be made it all a great hunt.

Sorry!

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great hunt with Schalk. Pretty sure it the same gentleman I hunted with in 2010 in Namibia. I did mostly a cull type hunt with him, the main focus was gemsbok culls and did shoot a few of them, but also some other PG.The two best were a great 56" kudu with him that was supposed to be a cull for the hide and after w had it down and realised how big he was, I saw dollar signs flashing before my eyes since it was so big, but Schalk honored our agreement and I got to pay the cull price for it and still had a great trophy. He also put me on a great giraffe that was hunted as a trophy and that too was a neat hunt and day. Most of the hunting was done on his parents/his ranch on the edge of the Kalahari and the 5 days there was much to short. When I hunted with him his company had a different name, but what does a name matter as long as the hunting and the trip were great and for me it was thanks to him. Maybe another hunt to Namibia should be in my plans for the future.
Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonhunter1:
Sounds like you had a great hunt with Schalk. Pretty sure it the same gentleman I hunted with in 2010 in Namibia. I did mostly a cull type hunt with him, the main focus was gemsbok culls and did shoot a few of them, but also some other PG.The two best were a great 56" kudu with him that was supposed to be a cull for the hide and after w had it down and realised how big he was, I saw dollar signs flashing before my eyes since it was so big, but Schalk honored our agreement and I got to pay the cull price for it and still had a great trophy. He also put me on a great giraffe that was hunted as a trophy and that too was a neat hunt and day. Most of the hunting was done on his parents/his ranch on the edge of the Kalahari and the 5 days there was much to short. When I hunted with him his company had a different name, but what does a name matter as long as the hunting and the trip were great and for me it was thanks to him. Maybe another hunt to Namibia should be in my plans for the future.
Willi

Schalk and NeuHof Safaris work together on a regular basis. They are a good team when a team is needed.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
You were lucky. I hunted with him some years back and the hunt was terrible. All on him. Out of ten safaris that was the only one I regret going on. Still can’t hang my trophy on the wall. Don’t even want to think about it.

Everything about the safaris was class, trophies, people, accommodations, pick up and drop off. Everything was the real deal. The only issue was that I only booked 7 hunting days rather than 10 which was all on me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great time and enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for sharing it.

Nyae Nyae bull elephant raffle
https://www.tsumeb-gimnasium.c...hant-hunt-in-namibia

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
A few images from my friend Keith Clark while we were hunting Mtn Zebra and Klipspringer. Thanks Keith.

This is a pic of the Klippie not long before I took him.

The entire team for this portion of the Safari. Thanks Fricke for being a gracious host.

One of my favorite trophies from the safari.

Schalk glassing for Mtn Zebra. It was way too hot but we were successful later in the day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good pics LJ. Congrats on a great hunt. I noticed one of the driver's/trackers in several of your photos. I believe his name is Dirk? In particular he is the guy on the far right in the pic of you guys with the klippie on the rock. He was previously employed by Kowas Safaris in Namibia. Am I correct in that he is Dirk? He was a very nice young man.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Great pictures. Enjoyed. Thanks for posting.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe- Could you give us some detail on your camera setup? Excellent photos!

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Very good pics LJ. Congrats on a great hunt. I noticed one of the driver's/trackers in several of your photos. I believe his name is Dirk? In particular he is the guy on the far right in the pic of you guys with the klippie on the rock. He was previously employed by Kowas Safaris in Namibia. Am I correct in that he is Dirk? He was a very nice young man.

That is Dirk. Way fun to be around. Did an excellent job. Always smiling.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Joe- Could you give us some detail on your camera setup? Excellent photos!

It is a Nikon D600. Nikon lens. Nothing special. Just overly anal about pics. Take a hundred. Pray for one good one.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I received my crate from Namibia a couple of weeks ago. I could not have been happier. I am used to my Africa crates not being in great shape. Everything about this crate was top notch, packing in the crate, wrapping of each hide, skull, set of horns. They all turned out top notch. The crate was full of shredded paper, each skull wrapped with shredded paper. It was properly done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your super safari!

Pictures, report and especially trophies very nice.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. What a great safari.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote