ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Safaris Chelet - Cameroon Lord Derby Eland - March 2015

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safaris Chelet - Cameroon Lord Derby Eland - March 2015
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Dates: March 4 - 15, 2015

Outfitter: Safaris Chelet

Agent: Adventures Unlimited

Airline: Air France

Rifle: Borrowed Ruger .416 Ruger

Ammunition: Factory Hormady 400 grain DGX and DGS loads

Professional Hunter: Hancke Hudson

I set off on Saturday, February 28th for a hunt that I have had planned for over two years and a "bucket list" trip for me. I have always wanted to hunt Cameroon and Lord Derby Eland so after talking to a number of outfitters I made the choice to do so with Jose "Pepe" Chelet's Safari Chelet in Block 24, Kourouk Eland Camp in the savannah.

I flew Business Class on Air France from Bush International in Houston direct to CDG in Paris and after a short two hour layover, on to Douala. I traveled without a firearm which made both the travel and customs process pain-free. Both the trip to and from Cameroon were as easy as any I have made to Africa. The beauty of west Africa is you can be there in 16 hours flight time!

My only surprise during my travels was a missing driver at the airport, but with a number of safaris under my belt, I didn't let it rattle me and asked around until I found a guy to get me to my hotel, the Meridian in Douala. A quick e-mail to Merrona at Adventures Unlimited and within an hour I had my pick-up sorted for the next morning.

I flew CamAir at 11:00 the following morning to Ngaoundere with no issues and was picked up there around 1:30 by Ximo Chelet, Pepe's nephew, for the 4.5 hour drive to camp after picking up some needed supplies in town.

Arriving around 7:00 pm, I met Hancke and the camp staff, had a great meal prepared by the chef Stephan and hit the rack after a bit of strategizing about the upcoming hunt with Hancke and Ximo.

I am going to spare everyone the day by day and get down to the facilities, hunting, game and conditions.

Camp was comfortable if a bit rustic, hot showers, a comfortable bed and electricity as long as the generators are running. The camp was built a couple of concession holders ago and is well maintained. Before the Chelet's, who are Spanish, took over the block, an Italian had it who mostly bird hunted the area and before him a French company who hunted Europeans so not many Americans have hunted this camp.

The food was the best I have had on safari in Africa. Stephan, our chef, was from Germany but had worked in kitchens in Spain from an early age and the Chelet's had brought him over the previous two years to head the kitchen. From fresh bread everyday to game meat he actually wet aged in the refrigerator, the meals were simply stunning.

Stephan and the gang

Every morning starts with a 5:00 a.m. wake up call. Temperatures in early March were low to mid 60's F in the mornings and begin to warm by 10:00. In mid March, temperatures rose earlier and by 8:00 you could feel the sun begin to bear down. Most days we would hunt until 12:00 or 12:30 then head back to camp for lunch, a shower to beat the heat and a nap or lounge time until 3:00 or 3:30. Several days, if we were on tracks, we stayed out all day. Daytime temps ranged from the mid 90's early to low 100's as the safari neared it's end. We had the Harmatten the first couple of days of the safari which kept things a bit cooler as the dust blocks the direct sunlight. However after several days of breathing the fine dust you begin to wish for the upper air currents to move the Sahara sands out of the concession. Strangely, the Harmatten reappeared the last five days of the hunt and almost appeared fog-like limiting visibility to several hundred yards.

The terrain was what I expected with one difference... I did not expect as many hills in the savannah as I witnessed in Block 24. Both eland and the buffalo will take to them quite readily as well.

We also saw more game while driving and looking for tracks than I expected. I thought game sightings would resemble a safari in the Zambezi Valley however we saw hartebeest, kob, baboons and waterbuck with regularity.

It was only fitting then that my first trophy on Day 3 was a nice western hartebeest bull.

My next trophy on the fifth day was a sing sing waterbuck bull. I apologize for this photo but it is the only one I have of him. Hancke took some better trophy shots of me with the bull with him posed and clean. When I get them I will substitute them for this coarser photo.

However this was a trophy I wanted badly having seen only one off-quota bull on my trip to Benin in 2008. We saw several nice mature waterbuck bulls on the course of this hunt and true to their name, when we ventured close to the riverine bush, we encountered waterbuck.

I took an old and very mature harnessed bushbuck on day 6. This was another priority trophy for me. We shot this ram traveling back to camp for lunch after an unsuccessful morning on eland tracks. Your main goal everyday is eland. Until you have your bull, you take the other species as the opportunity occurs in late morning or afternoon while traveling back to the truck or camp after giving up on LDE.

This ram required a fun stalk well executed by our lead tracker, Bouba. He was really an amazing and skilled gentleman who actually thought like the particular game animal we were after.

Though this ram won't score well he is a special trophy and I will remember that particular hunt fondly for a number of reasons!

As I said, every day starts out an eland day and after being on tracks a number of times, it came together on day 7. I found anytime we got on tracks worthy a following, we would walk a minimum of a couple of hours. Several days we were out for 6 to 8 hours. Thierry Labatt told me hunting LDE is the closest thing you will get to hunting elephant. I agree and the approach is so much more difficult.

Though we tried to cut a track of a lone bull or a couple of bulls, all we seemed to find were eland herds of 8 to 40. When you consider the eyes, ears and noses available to discover you, it can seem impossible to close and get enough time to look over the herd. Hancke kept telling me we would eventually catch a break and after more than a few disappointments, day 7 provided one.

We caught a lone bull track leading away from a waterhole and saline early that morning. While trying to sort the direction the bull was taking as he meandered his way back to wherever he had his mind set, our trackers heard a group of eland making their way to the waterhole we had just left. With swirling winds, the eland became uneasy and moved away. We hastily made a plan and began to swing around ahead of them to a pinch point. If we could get them between us and a hill, we could get a good look at them as they moved off. We actually got too far in front of the herd and had to stalk back to relocate them. As hunters and quarry saw each other about the same time, Hancke put the sticks up, pointed out an eland and said "shoot".

At my shot, animals erupted everywhere and began to cross up and over the hill... I looked at them through the scope as Hancke cautioned me not to shoot again. Suddenly one of the eland going up the hill began to wobble and then fell, rolling down the incline spectacularly to catch on a tree.

It was a huge rush, all of the trackers yelling, me relieved and elated and Hancke with that "told you so" smile. A very memorable hunt.

I was pleased that Pepe had actually been in camp for a few days before heading to the rainforest to prepare their Kika camp for bongo hunting in April. He was very kind to present me with a machete as a congratulatory gift for taking my eland. The handle being wrapped in my eland hide before I left...

After the eland we had five more days to hunt buffalo or roan as my second A trophy and one more B or C trophy. While we looked over several kob that were very nice I had my heart set on a red flanked duiker. I can't tell you how many times we got close before the little bastards went scurrying away at warp speed. Finally, one very hot morning found a mature ram hiding beneath some shade and thinking he was concealed in his brushy hide out. One mistake, right Hancke?

My buffalo fell late on the morning of the last day. Again apologies but I did not have a camera with me. When Hancke gets me a picture I will try and post it but I had a successful safari in Cameroon with Safaris Chelet taking all six of the animals I had on license.

It was an excellent adventure that had me second guessing myself at times, but everything worked out better than I could have hoped. A big thank you to Hancke Hudson my PH who was a true gentleman to hunt with and share a camp! And huge debt of gratitude to all involved in making the trip a success from Ximo and Pepe Chelet, to a great team of trackers, Bouba, Blues and Dawi and of course our driver Raphael.

One last bit of advice, I flew out with Hancke from Ngaoundere to Doula as I was Hancke's last client of the season. He suggested we grab dinner when we got back to Douala at a favorite restaurant of his since my flight didn't leave until 11:55 p.m. Wow! It was one of those little gems you uncover on a trip like this that really makes a good trip into a great one! If you find yourself with several hours to kill in Douala, I heartily recommend it.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies and very nice report - congrats!! AIU

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It looks like an excellent hunt. Conrats

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Russell. A LD Eland is truly an amazing trophy.

Arjun

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Every hunt you make seems to yield amazing trophies. This one was no exception.

Thank you for posting!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a truly successful safari. Really good trophies you have there and the broomed off old bushbuck would measure highly in my book.

Early on in the report you were carry a double or a shotgun?

Very well done on your LDE.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report with beautiful pictures, thanks for posting it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
yankees

Well done Russell

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well done Russell, congratulations. I hope for every one item you cross off your bucket list, you are adding two or three more. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, Well done Russ!

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Russell,

I was anxiously awaiting this report. Great hunt!!!

Thank you for sharing

One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. I really enjoyed the reading and the pictures!

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report, thanks so much for sharing.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Congratulations, my friend! Excellent report on a cool adventure!

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Russell! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fantastic report and great photos loved the old broomed off bush buck

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
great, thanks,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Great report and some very nice trophies!

Congrats and look forward to the addition of some more pics.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Russell!!
Outstanding Safari tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a sod of an eland!!!
Congratulations. Sounds like you had a fantastic time. All hunts should go like that.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
great report, photos and entire experience Russell. So happy that it worked out so well. Obviously the eland is fantastic, but I also love that old bushbuck ram!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atta boy!!! The LDE is a special trophy, huge congrats!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great story and hunt! Congratulations Russell!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Congrats on some great trophies and a nice write up! I too went much farther into my LD safari than I expected before finding the right bull. Cameroon offers a unique and special experience that I enjoyed. I'd love to get back for a bongo at some point. We still need to get you on that other spiral horn we talked about.

Cheers,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Great adventure Russell, congratulations.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Folks,
Thanks for all the congratulatory comments!

Andrew,
The double was Hancke's Chapuis .470 he uses for back-up in both the savannah and forest hunts in Cameroon.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Congratulations. Fine trophies.
Some very fond memories for me in all your photo's.

Cheers

Steve

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and looking forward to more photos!!

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Great report. Thanks for sharing . Well done to all. Hancke is a great guy. One of South Africa's finest.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, and thanks for sharing, a really fine bag of trophies and a lord derby eland is a highlight in anyones hunting career!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!

Looks like a grand time. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome adventure, nicely done Russ.

Cheers
Brent

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Some super trophies there. Well done!

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,nice hunt.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt!!! On my bucket list too...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote