One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding old cat!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Phillip. Great story and a fantastic lion.

I could have used Noah here on a bear this fall. He would have been helpful on a 3 hour tracking job. Being both the tracker and backup in thick pucker brush can be a bit stressful

Look forward to sharing stories with you at Reno

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great lion!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phillip Smythe
posted Hide Post
My apologies for the silence - just finishing up the season back here.

To answer some of the questions -
If I recall he was 470 odd pounds - I will need to confirm with our records but that is what I remember off hand.

Age wise - always a debate here as teeth wear differently from area to area and from what they eat etc etc. Unlike leopards (through trail cams) that we have a general idea with their rosettes how long a cat has been around, lions (unless they have a noticeable scar somewhere) are a lot harder to keep tabs on when it comes to aging through cameras. We will find out his estimated age at our aging workshop end of the year where all lions and leopards are aged by 'experts'. So will let you know!

No need to stock lions in the Save - we are actually trying to move some... anyone want a couple of prides???

Needless to say - definitely a memorable hunt and an amazing experience. We as Ph's spend our lives out here and see a huge amount, so this was something special.

Thanks for the comments.
See you all in the States.

Subscribe to our Newsletter and follow us hunt to hunt -

http://mailchi.mp/eccf60046a6c/welcome-to-2018

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages...aris/286258951422383

PHOTO BLOG - https://instagram.com/ivorytrailsafaris/

Phillip Smythe
www.ivorytrailsafaris.com

16 Pendennis Rd,
Mount Pleasant
Harare
Zimbabwe

Cell - +263 772 413 618
email - phillip@ivorytrailsafaris.com

Posts: 252 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 21 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip Smythe:
My apologies for the silence - just finishing up the season back here.

To answer some of the questions -
If I recall he was 470 odd pounds - I will need to confirm with our records but that is what I remember off hand.

Age wise - always a debate here as teeth wear differently from area to area and from what they eat etc etc. Unlike leopards (through trail cams) that we have a general idea with their rosettes how long a cat has been around, lions (unless they have a noticeable scar somewhere) are a lot harder to keep tabs on when it comes to aging through cameras. We will find out his estimated age at our aging workshop end of the year where all lions and leopards are aged by 'experts'. So will let you know!

No need to stock lions in the Save - we are actually trying to move some... anyone want a couple of prides???

Needless to say - definitely a memorable hunt and an amazing experience. We as Ph's spend our lives out here and see a huge amount, so this was something special.

Thanks for the comments.
See you all in the States.

Well done Phillip and that tight mane configuration is something I have never come across before.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil - well done on a great lion. With regards to ageing from, as you rightfully put in italics,the " experts" - The further we go down this road the more I realise that the "experts " are absolutely clueless and your average PH is far better qualified to judge age on lions.

I will concede though that this whole ageing debacle has made us much more aware of looking for old lions and has reduced what was certainly over the top lion quotas in Zimbabwe.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will concede though that this whole ageing debacle has made us much more aware of looking for old lions and has reduced what was certainly over the top lion quotas in Zimbabwe.

clap

As my uncle Clinton Easter was famous for saying: "There are more ways to kill a cat than choking him to death on butter." (no pun intended)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Phil - well done on a great lion. With regards to ageing from, as you rightfully put in italics,the " experts" - The further we go down this road the more I realise that the "experts " are absolutely clueless and your average PH is far better qualified to judge age on lions.

Buzz set your own standard but others will fail you

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Wonderful lion

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Phil, hunter must had nerves of steel.

Great report

Jeff

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phillip Smythe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
Congrats Phil, hunter must had nerves of steel.

Great report

Jeff

Something like that..... Wink

Subscribe to our Newsletter and follow us hunt to hunt -

http://mailchi.mp/eccf60046a6c/welcome-to-2018

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages...aris/286258951422383

PHOTO BLOG - https://instagram.com/ivorytrailsafaris/

Phillip Smythe
www.ivorytrailsafaris.com

16 Pendennis Rd,
Mount Pleasant
Harare
Zimbabwe

Cell - +263 772 413 618
email - phillip@ivorytrailsafaris.com

Posts: 252 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 21 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the latest African Hunting Gazette, there is an article about this hunt, had to come back and read it again. The article really captures the drama tracking this lion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reviving this,
I miss Philip. My son (18 at the time) and I spent 21 days with Philip in 2008 when he was an appy for HHK and Lou Hallamore. Lou did not know Philip before the hunt.
He was a keen hunter and had A great eye. Lou predicted he would make the Ranks of the ph's in Zimbabwe from his meeting Phil on that trip.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote