ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Hunting the Bubye Valley Conservancy with Shaun Buffee
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting the Bubye Valley Conservancy with Shaun Buffee
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies, looks like you had a grand time.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks! tu2 Yes, a grand time was had! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Thanks for the report.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mboga, just to fill you in. The original population of lions started with 16 wild lions from Etosha game reserve plus another 6. In addition once the area was reclaimed and turned into a game reserve / conservancy lions from surrounding areas, including also leopard and elephants came in. This was because of human surrounding pressure and a huge population of prey for the predators. The scouts regularly found tracks and hair of lions crossing into the area, which is one million acres. The result was a population explosion since lions, like cats, will reproduce very quickly. In 2011 there were 135 lions and by 2013 June over 200. Females raising multiple cubs plus good hunting and few spotted hyenas killing the cubs is also probably also a factor. Hyenas appear to need to establish a large clan pack to control lions and that has not happened since spotted populations are controlled. Conversely browns flourish - about 120. There are several biologists who track the population including Paul Trethowan, a Rhodes scholar, who is studying their social structure. Having been there twice I can assure the lions are very wild but not man eaters ( they may hunt you for food). We parked between a lioness and her wildebeest kill and she made a half hearted mock charge when I stood up on the truck. The lions are beautiful specimens because of their Estosha blood line and are about a quarter bigger than the Kruger lions and a lot larger in general than the East African ones. These are no canned SA lions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be in BVC in 15 days and plan on tagging along some with Paul while he does his research. That should be EXTREMELY interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks LR3! You're right, no canned SA lions and no canned lion hunting in the Bubye. As wild and cheeky as you can get! We too, witnessed/heard lions killing wildebeest, one of their favorite specimens for a meal. tu2 (And plenty of them on the Bubye as well-I began referring, in good humor, to the Wildebeest as "African Cockroaches") Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there a few years ago with Steven Meyer and it was just an awesome place. I shot this leopard on that trip.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding cat, Ed! tu2 Which camp did you hunt out of?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How come the BVC does not have any crocs or hippos?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw two hippo at Ripple Creek while hunting chobe bushbuck. One was very aggressive towards us. They told me that they have seen a croc or two in the same area, apparently where the Bubye and Bubiana Rivers come together. Not sure if there are other areas on the Conservancy that hold enough water year round that would potentially hold them. Best to ask one of the PHs that hunts the conservancy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted out of the Lamulas Lodge on the little hill next to the air strip.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice camp! tu2 In fact, originally built as a luxury camp for, I believe, a very rich South African. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos,great trophies,great post, clearly a great trip...thanks for sharing.... beer

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JCook. Glad you enjoyed the post. tu2 It's not hard to have a great trip when you are able to experience and hunt in one of the finest safari conservancies in all of Southern Africa. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Fine report and well done on your trophies, This Buffee chap seems to be making a name for himself.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew: Shaun is indeed a very good PH. At only 30 years old, he is still very experienced and certainly knows what he is doing. He is an innovator and always looking for ways to improve his client's hunting experience and success. As with all great PHs, Shaun has surrounded himself with an outstanding team of trackers and skinners. Like he said to me many times, having an outstanding team is imperative to helping you succeed and build a great reputation as a PH. Shaun always gave credit for much of his success to his original mentor, PH Buzz Charlton.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Andrew: Shaun is indeed a very good PH. At only 30 years old, he is still very experienced and certainly knows what he is doing. He is an innovator and always looking for ways to improve his client's hunting experience and success. As with all great PHs, Shaun has surrounded himself with an outstanding team of trackers and skinners. Like he said to me many times, having an outstanding team is imperative to helping you succeed and build a great reputation as a PH. Shaun always gave credit for much of his success to his original mentor, PH Buzz Charlton.

Buzz who?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Jytte. The Bubye is truly one of the great hunting destinations in all of Southern Africa, and PH Shaun Buffee one of the very best in the business. tu2

Could not agree more.
I will be back there in September. Stay tuned.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will look forward to the report, Steve! tu2

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Great pics. Congrats. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pleasure! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi UEG,

Very good of you to stop and visit me briefly at Ripple Creek, thanks for that. Glad you got that badger and bushbuck too. Now.....teach me how to PM!!!
Cheers,
Ade

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Ade,

Click on the PM recipient's name - in this case UEG. When the menu pops up, scroll down and click on "Invite UEG to a private topic". A new box will appear for a title to the topic and your comments. Fill in your message and hit post and you're done.

Hope you're well and give us a shout sometime.

David

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will look forward to the report, Steve! tu2

Cool

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this nice report UEG.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Well done, nice report. Bubye is a great place and I've only ever heard good things about Sean.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am overdue in sending UEG (Vaughn) a big Thank You!

My son and I were hunting in the BVC at the same time and had moved camps into Vaughn's camp before he arrived. At the BVC each hunting party has their camp to themselves, so our PH asked Vaughn if we could overlap by a night. He was very gracious and let us stay our last night in camp with him.

I think this was Vaughn's 12th or 13th safari and it was our first, and we really enjoyed his company and his willingness to share his experiences.

A very nice guy. Great to see that he and Shaun had so much success.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG sure looks like you had a great trip. Your Buff looks old and certainly a good size. Well done.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone for your comments. Big Grin I've been in Europe for the last couple of weeks and out of touch with AR. 10generation: I enjoyed spending time with you and your son and seeing you take some nice trophies with Mark Bristow. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steven Is a great PH

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
I hunted there a few years ago with Steven Meyer and it was just an awesome place. I shot this leopard on that trip.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't met a less than great PH on the Bubye yet! Blondie wouldn't allow it! LOL! tu2