First time to Africa, full report
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: Johnny and Laura du Plooy, Zambia
Booking agent: Mark Young
Date: June 20-30, 2021
PH: Darren Chowles
This was one of the most enjoyable safaris I have been on and there weren't but three animals shot. I had the privilege of taking two very good friends, Keith and son Kyle, on their fist trip to Africa. It was such a tremendous experience to watch them discover the sights , sounds, and smells of wild Africa. Before we left to go, I got questions like, "Are there any elephants where we are going and will we see some.", "Will we see hippos and crocks in the river," so I knew they had no idea what to expect. Their eyes were wide open the entire trip.
Kyle decided he wanted an impala and Keith wanted to hunt a wart hog and a hyena. Hunting the Hyena led into watching two lions and a leopard feeding on baits. We set up the first bait for hyena with the idea if they hit it, we would build a blind the next day and sit the following morning. When we checked the bait the next morning a lion had feed and Darren thought he would come back late that afternoon, so he asked us if we wanted to sit that afternoon and see if the lion came back. All three of us enthusiastically said "Heck yes" so he had the guys put up a blind. We got settled in late that afternoon and sure enough, right at dark, just like Darren had said, the lion shows up. Darren turned his torch on and the lion slowly walked off, giving us a good look at him. A 3-4 year old, to young to be a shooter but had a nice black mane. If that wasn't a thrill, having a lion on bait 60 yards from you.

We moved the bait to another location and built a blind. The next morning, we were in the blind early, as it began to get light, there was another lion on the bait. We moved the bait a third time and returned early the next morning. As the day began to break, guess what, a leopard was feeding on the bait. Watched it quite a while when he walked straight to the blind, got within 10 yards and stood there staring, then turned around and went back to the bait and laid down till the truck pulled up. Keith never did get his hyena but what he did get was worth much, much more.
After chasing several pigs that would not cooperate, he got his hog. I think Noah, the tracker, was as happy as Keith and gave him a big hug, picking him up off the ground.

Kyle put a tremendous stalk on his Impala, following a group of rams about 400 yards, getting on the sticks 4 times, then made a great shot. What a thrill to watch their faces, I just soaked up the moment.

My hunt was for a hippo on land. Now that is an adrenalin pumping hunt. On one bull we got to within 25 yards in that real thick junk, decided he was to young, backed out and he never knew we were there.

I hunting buffalo, looking for a extremely old, worn down, broken horn bull. Darren and the team got me on a good bull the next to last day but I screwed things up and didn't get a shot. I hated it for the team, they had worked so hard, but it didn't dampen my spirits. My biggest thrill was watching Keith and Kyle.

With the heavy rains the grass was tall and most of it had not been burned off. Several times, we chased bulls around and around in this stuff but they never would come into a clearing for a shot.

Keith and Kyle ran after quineas and with the thick vegetation they did not come easy, Keith did manage to pull a double though.

The cotton had been picked, put in the storage shelters, then stuffed in the bags waiting to be picked up and sold.

One of the strangest things was every time we rode past a hut, the small kids would run after the truck yelling, " Give me bottle, give me bottle." They wanted us to throw them the empty plastic water bottles.

Two happy campers. They will never forget the time they spent together in Africa.

A view from camp.

What a sight, sun setting on a day of hunting in Africa.

The team, what a great time we had.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Awesome and you have been so kind to introduce others to the African safari experience.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great trip was had by all!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's always a hoot to see a safari through the eyes of a first timer!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did well!

Glad you got some new folks out and had a grand time!

Congrats to all of you!

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
One of the best posts all year long! Outstanding pics and report! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy,

It is always a pleasure to have had happy hunters but I know this one was very special for you. Thanks for letting me contribute to the adventure. Now for the big cats. Oh! My!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Kudos to Mark Young for booking this trip. There’s nothing like the thrill of one’s first African Safari.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:
It's always a hoot to see a safari through the eyes of a first timer!

Yes it is. Try to imagine, having never seen a wild elephant then having a tuskless cow chasing the truck, trumpeting and raising sand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Randy,

It is always a pleasure to have had happy hunters but I know this one was very special for you. Thanks for letting me contribute to the adventure. Now for the big cats. Oh! My!

Mark, it was very special. Thanks for all you did to make things go smoothly. As far as the big cats, that will be a whole different level than this hunt. Can't wait !

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to see a young man to hunt Africa, I took my youngest when he was 14, a trip he will always remember.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 263 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote