ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Spiral Horn Safaris - RSA - PIC HEAVY

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spiral Horn Safaris - RSA - PIC HEAVY
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted
HUNT REPORT - Spiral Horn Safaris

When: August 29 - September 5, 2009
Where: Spiral Horn Safaris - Limpopo Province, RSA
Who: Tom Addleman

PH: Louis Van Bergen

Animals Hunted: Kudu, Giraffe and Gemsbok

Animals seen but not hunted: Warthog, Tsessebe, Impala, Zebra, Monkey, Waterbuck, Wildebeest, Steinbuck, etc, etc...

I have recently returned from a Hunt with Spiral Horn Safaris in the Limpopo Province of South Africa (www.spiralhorn.co.za). My PH was Louis Van Bergen. Louis owns the land he hunts.

From the beginning of the safari I knew that this was going to be great. Louis and his brother Pieter picked me up at the Messina Airport in their private plane at the conclusion of my buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe (report to follow). The Piper Cherokee 6 seater was beautiful. Very spacious for my gear with plenty of room leftover.

After a short and smooth one hour flight we touched down on their ranch, two nautical miles from the Botswana border. I had never flown in a small plane before. Let me tell you, it sure beats the heck out of driving! We were met at the private airstrip by a truck waiting to whisk us away to the lodge.

The lodge is beautiful. It has two separate chalets with a large open air central area for eating, relaxing and hanging out. Everything is elegant, tasteful and extremely comfortable. I will gladly take my wife there and she will enjoy the pool and wonderful accommodations but it’s not so over the top that you don’t feel at home.

After getting settled it was time to get the Bow out. After a few shots at the archery range I had everything dialed in. Unfortunately my drop away rest had been broken on my flight over from the States. After a little bit of work the whole outfit was shooting great. For this trip I brought my Mathews Switchback and Black Widow PSAX recurve.

The bow blinds at Spiral Horn are well thought out and comfortable. Set deep in concrete, well camouflaged and scent controlled. I hunted out of three main blinds (because I liked the setups) but I know Louis has a few more with plans on building even more.

The first evening out Louis and I saw two nice Kudu bulls. When I say “nice”, I actually mean “Holy S@#T, look at that Kudu”! They were a bit far out and never really presented a perfect shot. Patience is the bowhunters friend.

The next morning found us back in that same area, different blind. Louis had taken time out to move a portable “pop up” blind to a position that he thought might get us a better opportunity at a shot. Was he ever right! After sitting for a while two kudu bulls came in. Both of them looked huge to me but one was obviously a bit more mature than the other.

I have hunted kudu before but never seen anything like this. Louis informed me that they have not taken a bull kudu off of the place in over 10 years. From what I saw, I absolutely believe him. These two bulls were comfortable and relaxed. Their bodies were healthy and horns were exceptional. After several tense moments of drawing and letting down, I finally made a good shot on the bull I wanted. He is very “classical” kudu. I am not a numbers guy but for those that are he taped out a tad over 56”.

Big kudu on the first morning. Now what! We spent the afternoon celebrating the kudu and driving his property so that I could have a look around. The terrain is very thick. It is mostly flat with thick brush and a few small open areas. It looks like perfect buffalo and plains game habitat. In fact, I learned that the place used to have numerous buffalo and hence it is named “Buffelsvlei” (Buffalo Valley). On our drives around the property we saw all sorts of plains game. If a guy was rifle hunting there were numerous opportunities to hop off and go for a stalk. Some areas were really thick while others had a bit more space. It would be fun spot and stalk country.

I had told Louis that I was interested in taking a nice Gemsbok as they have eluded me with the bow for some time. He put me on them. That morning we were out in the blind early. We had several gemsbok come in over a short period. I finally found the one I wanted and placed a 30 yard shot. Everything lined up perfect and the animal was down within sight.

41” Gemsbok

After retrieving that Gemsbok I was thrilled. I had originally planned to take a zebra and a few other animals. I decided that I had so much fun with the Gemsbok that I would take another! The next morning we went back out to the same general area with hopes of finding another Gemsbok. We sure did.

38” Gemsbok

I spent the next few days looking for something that would peak my interest. I ended up playing cat and mouse with a tsessebe (spot and stalk) several times and never released an arrow.

Louis’s property has a very high population of Giraffe. If anyone is interested in a giraffe hunt, they should consider Spiral Horn for that reason alone. I can’t even tell you how many we saw over the term of my hunt. I would guess between 40-75, no kidding. Lots of old bulls and pregnant females, insuring good populations into the future. Dark, medium and light colorations. Really beautiful.

One Giraffe in particular gave us a bit of a show. An old bull came through the area that Louis had set up a “pop up” blind. This bull Giraffe kept coming closer to us. Head down...closer, closer. All that I could see through the window was Giraffe lower chest and legs. I even got my bow up as I was unsure what to do. I was focused on this Giraffe that couldn’t have been more than 3 yards away when Louis yelled “h’yah” or something similar. I just about had to change my shorts. Scared the hell out of me and the Giraffe. It ambled off in that rocking horse style and turned around to look at us. Pretty neat! It turns out he was interested in the leaves above our blind. Coulda fooled me. I could have shot 3-4 Giraffes with my bow from that blind.

My brother was focused on a large dark Giraffe bull. He eventually got the giraffe after a hell of a hunt. Louis guided my brother through the thick stuff at a run and did everything in his power to make sure my brother got his bull. It is a story for another report but it felt more like a buffalo hunt than a Giraffe. Louis was relentless and that ended up being the key to success.

As I said in the beginning, Louis owns the land he hunts. This made a huge difference to me personally. This was a nice change from hunts I’ve had in the past. He had full management authority and has utilized it to produce outstanding trophy animals. I found out that he is extremely careful about exactly which animals he will take off with hunters and which are protected to either breed or grow. This was not a “shoot em up” safari like so many in RSA can be. He uses a methodical, game management approach to produce big trophy animals for now and years to come.

Overall, this was a fantastic safari. Spiral Horn Safaris has a beautiful camp, wonderful food, very high quality trophy animals and a pleasant atmosphere. You are not “pushed into” pulling the trigger or pressured in any way. Louis is an extremely competent and professional person. He has a “never give up” attitude and will make sure that your hunt is what you dreamed of. He sure made mine great! So much so that I hope to return very soon.

http://www.spiralhorn.co.za/

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

My Nemesis

Giraffe

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
What a Kudu! Oryx, too.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report! I don't think that I want to know about the scissors and foot thing though.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Wow, great pics. Thanks for posting !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Way to go
nice tropies
now what about that Buffalo report?

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Why didn't you take the Tsessebe?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Why didn't you take the Tsessebe?

Ha! I had my bow and although that picture looks close, that sucker would never give me a shot in bow range. Very aggravating.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!!

Excellent report.

Monster Kudu and Gemsbok trophies with the bow!!!!

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Spiral Horn Safaris
posted Hide Post
Hi there guys thank all of you for your wonderful comments about Tom's hunt.

Tom and Steve are both wonderful people and I consider them to be good friends of mine.

Thanks to the both of you for sharing a great hunt with me.

Kind Regards
Louis van Bergen

Posts: 125 | Location: Limpopo South Africa | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Great photos and great report. makes me want to hunt with Spiral Horn Safaris

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great kudu and a very interesting reort.
That Cherokee Six is one of the best airplanes Piper ever built. It will haul it's own empty weight in passengers or cargo or both. Very nice airplane. Great way to arrive in camp.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Spiral Horn Safaris
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's and I must say the plane surprises me regularly it can take everything you trough at it and a bit more HA Ha.

Posts: 125 | Location: Limpopo South Africa | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I enjoyed your report and photos. Way to go!

D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job on the report, that's a real nice kudu.