Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot on a 50BMG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
Anybody using a RED DOT or similar optic on their 50's? I have a M82 mounted with a EO-TEC thats specifically calibrated for 50BMG.

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can't see much use of a red dot on an ultra long range weapon

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
can't see much use of a red dot on an ultra long range weapon

Neither can I; but once you realize its better served as something more than punching holes in paper a long way off, the red dot makes sense.

Think in terms of Marvin Heemeyer's tour through Granby Colorado.

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Private Contractor
posted Hide Post
Eotech makes a holographic sight for the 50, I believe it was initially designed for use on the M2. Depending on the size of the dot, and of course how much you familiarize yourself with it, it can be utilized at moderate ranges, especially in an automatic belt-feed setup.

-Private Contractor-
Retired
Private Security Contractor
Executive Protection
PMC WWPS
Instructor and Collector of Pokey and Sharp Things
USTC

Posts: 31 | Location: Bridgeport, Texas | Registered: 04 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
Thats the Eotech I use. Its fine on a M82. I only have access to a 200 yard range; but thats more than enough.

Next Im thinking about something in 20mm; but 25 or 30mm would better, if I can find a manufacturer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDELWEISS:

Next Im thinking about something in 20mm; but 25 or 30mm would better, if I can find a manufacturer.

EDELWEISS, if you have not seen Anzios site check it out. http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
Yes Im familiar with the Anizo rifle. A 20mm does what most folks think a 50BMG will do, which is what interests me; but Id actually prefer a 25 or 30mm if I was going the DD route--or at least something semi auto like a Lahti.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the lahti destroys brass in semi auto. You will shoot it semi once then save your brass and shoot it as a single shot. 20X103 Components are much easier to find, way cheaper, and a lot hotter than the Lahti.

For 25mm guns you have the Puteaux and Hotchkiss

Not much out there shooting 30mm except for some real big gun subcal conversions and a few one offs

US 37mm are boring and uneventful, but the 37mm bofors is a sweet powerhouse.

Posts: 118 | Location: arizona | Registered: 24 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for short range, probably, but my .50 is for larger distances than 200 yards. I think it would not be appropriate for 1000 to 2000 yards. It would obliterate the target.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i saw a doco on discovery were the US coast guard have red dot sights mounted on there 50 cal barrets they hang out of the choppers they use to blow the engines off the go fast drug boats.
I think the shooter gets the choice of the red dot sight or a schmit and bender scope.

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good red dot sight is an excellent choice for ANY calibre gun that will be shot from a moving platform, such as an aircraft, boat, or moving vehicle.

You can always put the red dot in a QD mount, and have a long range scope in a QD mount for those times when your "moving" platform is setting still.

Also the red dot is very good when the situation is that "targets" you wish you were shooting at at long range, are danger close, and moving rapidly toward you...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote