New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes And The .50 BMG????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What kind of scope are you guys running on your fifty's, and how many rounds have you had down the pipe with them? I ask because there seems to be not a single make of scope that hasen't broken on the .50 BMG. I was told the Super Sniper was one of the best, then I heard they break. Leupolds, Bushnell's, Nikon, and all the rest come with horror stories. I'm seeing that big bucks doesn't mean trouble free on a .50 BMG. Is there one that will hold up? This is going on a Bushmaster BA-50. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use mainly Nightforce and Badger rings. I have reciently given the valdala a try and while I don't like that they don't have a traditional mil dot retical thay seem to be holding up to the recoil on a number of friends rifles

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
USMC issued Leupold MK4 16X objective lenses were epoxied in place prior to shipping.

Magnification,elevation adjustment,base taper,6 screw rings,MIL Dot's should be considered when purchasing glass for a 50BMG.

Holding over/Kentucky windage doesn't cut it with a 50.
Dial in the DOPE & break the shot.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
at the FCSA world championships the most common scope seems to be nightforce with Leupy Mark 4 running 2nd in popularity.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've never had a scope failure on my 50's

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i've never had a scope failure on my 50's

What brands have you shot the .50 with? Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
leupold, mueller, tasco and bushnell, i usually go through about 500 rds/year

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
leupold, mueller, tasco and bushnell, i usually go through about 500 rds/year

AHHHH, so I'm safe! dancing Bill T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy bought an ATN scope for his 50bmg two years ago. The company claimed it was built specifically for 50bmg. He was real proud of it. He took it out of the box (new) so I could mount it. I saw some black flecks in the image and told him to send it back. He insisted we mount it and try it out. First shot, more black flecks, 2nd shot more flecks. I think it was the fifth shot and the ocular piece snapped right off the main tube. Their customer service was the worst, they did nothing and he still has the scope.

From that experience I will not buy anything from ATN. I even have the shot when it broke on video. We were shooting confiscated beer kegs at the time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold, and don't look back. Unconditional warranty, and great customer service. Have a look at the Mark 4. Bring your charge card.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So far so good with both my Bushmaster and the Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical mounted on it. No movement at all, and the gun is very comfortable to shoot. The concussion is something to behold! Just can't get enough. I'm looking for some Hornady .50 BMG A-Max ammo to buy for it now. I'm hearing nothing but good about it's accuracy. So far the gun stays well under an inch at 100 yards, and that is with Federal XM-33 Ball. Good ammo, but I think the Hornady A-Max will do even better. Bill T.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
You might already know I have a Nightforce and the biggest knock it took was against my head Smiler the Nightforce was fine, My head took a week to get better. (Styer HS-50, not a bad kick until you remove the break!)

dancing

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a good idea to remove the brake on a 50. Sounds like you got lucky. I know a guy who broke his collar bone and detached his retina shooting a bmg without a muzzle brake.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife forgot earplugs once when she shot my 50. It's probably a good thing for me because now she can't hear half of what I say. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 50 BMG wear a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x 56mm MLR/Mil mounted in a LaRue detachable mount/rings.

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40. Initially no problem, but the last two times the weirdest thing happens. About every fourth shot, the image just appears hazy, like its fogged up, then goes back to clear. Imact hasn't changed. First time it was raining, second it was sunny. I'll just keep shooting it until POI changes then send it back. Great warranty is peace of mind on a 50. I'm shooting a Bohica.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slm9s:
I use a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40.

I'm shooting the same scope on my .338-378 Weatherby Magnum Accumark. It's been a fantastic scope. Bill T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I broke a Super Sniper Scope on my LAR 50 BMG, one on a 510 Whisper Encore and another on a 44 magnum carbine. A Leupold on both 50 bmg and 510 whisper are holding up well after over a thousand rounds through each. I aso hear good things about Nightforce.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PJS50
posted Hide Post
Any of the Nightforce scopes seem to be holding up just fine.
I have 2 .50's with Leupold Mk4 M1 16X scopes on both of them, and one is over 15 years old! No problems...
I like the Lupold Mk4-M1's because they have 140MOA of elevation adjustment to them internally, and when you cant them forward properly (45-60MOA slant forward on the scope base), you can dial-up and hold "dead on" out to ANY range that your projo will still be supersonic...

Posts: 177 | Location: MI. | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Bilit --- what brand rings are those on your Bushy 50???

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 923 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rings are made by Smith Enterprises. I bought them through Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...3_BMG_TACTICAL_RINGS

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
billt --thanks -- now tell me about your Avitar ?

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 923 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
billt --thanks -- now tell me about your Avitar ?

One is the Earth as viewed from Apollo 8 Command Module in Lunar orbit, and the other is the wife. Bill T.