Find
Notify
Tools

Armalite A-50 pro/con??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
How about the Armalite A-50 has anyone tried it-- I'm reading that it seems to be a pretty good firestick and according to some will group better than the Bushy 50 since the frame minus the clip cavity is stronger.
Comments??
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 924 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot one and watched them being shot during competitions at 500 yards. They were competitive until they went up against real benchrest 50 bmg rifles. They typically shot 1 to 1.5 moa at 550 yards with hand loaded amax or Barnes boreriders.

Both of the ar-50 owners I knew were not satisifed with the barrels which had too much freebore to allow seating a bullet to touch the lands. One guy had his barrel replaced and the other has his set back and re-chambered with a tight reamer. Both shot significantly better after the barrel work.

I like the AR-50 more than my LAR, the Serbu, Barrett M82 and the SR-25.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own one and like it for what it is. 1-1.5MOA is realistic from it with good reloads and 1.5-2.5 MOA is realistic with factory. It is nothing compared to the McMillan I used to shoot, but it is 1/4 the price Smiler

I also have a BOHICA AR upper that shoots 1-1.5 MOA like the AR-50, I am not sure which I like better. I guess the BOHICA as I drag it around more than the other.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned one for several years. It is a great rifle to shoot. It is not a benchrest class rifle.
But it will shoot well enough to compete with. Just don't expect to win too many matches.
It does have a BIG GRIN factor though.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted Hide Post
Never shot an AR50, but reading the above posts makes me really glad I bought a Barrett M99. It shoots sub-1/2" groups with Barrett Ammo. And my friends can duplicate those groups with my rifle. Just my two cents.

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one for awhile. Green, in left hand. I didn't care for the muzzle brake blowing all the crap back in my face. I would rather take on a bunch more recoil in order to avoid trying to remove debris from my eyes after every shot. Glasses don't help. So much crap blows back, it gets under the lens. You would have to wear goggles to shoot it prone off the ground.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Armalite has a new gun with a match chamber. My AR shoots better than I can. Even shoot cast bullets thru it.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote