New
Find
Notify
Tools

How accurate is the M82?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read every once in a while that so and so's Barrett M-82 is accurate, but I have never seen any numbers. When I was competing in the 500 yard matchs in Eatonville WA several years ago, the M82's normally came in last with the best groups being about 2-3 moa (ten plus inches) at best on the 550 yard range.

What are people doing with their M-82's at 500 to 1000 yards? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken both of Barretts courses at Whittington Center in Raton, the long range and the Tactical Long Range. I shot a 10" group at night during night fire(at night) during the course at 500 yards. At 100 yards, I am shooting 1 hole groups, albeit a big group but no paper left for a clip of 10 rounds. When I shot the 1000 yard target, the wind came up and my groups went to hell because I wasn't able to competently read the wind. When I took the tactical course, the big 50 performed. I shot a bit over 12" at 2200 yard for 3 shots. Then the wind came up and I missed the target by 18 feet for the next 2 shots before I realized that the wind was blowing. As a tack driver, they fall short and for small groups in a competition, they won't make the grade but they are sold as a 2 minute gun. They say that they mean 2 moa with any ammo produce since the late 1960's. It will definitely do that and much more. With careful handloading, I believe the rifle will shoot moa and I wish I had the ability to do that at all distances. Hope that helps

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that as they use them for a millitary sniper rifle, they have the potential to shoot real small groups if set up correctly.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest factors in accuracy in any 50 BMG is the ammo.
Match ammo, that the rifle likes, makes a BIG difference in accuracy.

Most of my shooting with a Barrett was with armour penetrating ammo, as we had the 50 to shoot "things".

All the bolt action 50's I have shot have been more accurate than the Barrett semiauto.
But for shooting "things" the semiauto of the Barrett more than makes up for the accuracy difference.

The 2 most accurate 50's I have shot are the Accuracy Internationals, and the Barrett bolt rifles.

If I was concerned with accuracy I would get one of them.

If I was concerned with "serious shooting of things" I would get the semi auto Barrett, for sure.

In fact, I would get a 338 Lapua for extreme accuracy, and save the Barrett Semi for "things".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Private Contractor
posted Hide Post
As mentioned prior, ammunition is a key factor in the accuracy potential of the 50 BMG. Some companies are just now offering match grade ammunition options. It just makes sense to me, that an expensive rifle, is going to need precision glass, and premium ammunition with tight tolerances in order to utilize it to its full potential. The Barrett Model 99 has set records with its accuracy, and is available in long/ heavy barrel options, or in 29" fluted versions. A model 99 shot a 4.09" group at 1000 yards in 2001, setting new standards for accuracy. I realize it is a different model from the same maker.

For accuracy, and 99% of my operational requirements (when I was on duty/ prior to my injury) I still prefer the precision of the .338 Lapua any day, over the larger anti-material weapons (inc. 416, 408, etc.) But I would still want to keep my options open in case the BMG was needed.

Just my .02

-Private Contractor-
Retired
Private Security Contractor
Executive Protection
PMC WWPS
Instructor and Collector of Pokey and Sharp Things
USTC

Posts: 31 | Location: Bridgeport, Texas | Registered: 04 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot the .416 Barrett and it was 12" at 500 yards for me. I am not much of a skilled shooter but had fun doing it.

I think it would be a bit pricey to shoot it a lot.

Posts: 115 | Location: Sparta (where else?) | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, the best I have managed is 7 MOA, but that is with milsurp APIT ammo. I just have not had the time to spend with trying to get a real good accuracy load up.

As 450 NE said, its great fun for shooting things. 55gal barrels full of water, junker cars, rabid poodles...

I would agree that it can do better than mine at 7 MOA, but the best I have heard of from a guy I know who has one is 1 MOA at 600, and it opened up to 2 MOA at 1000 with specially prepped match ammo.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote