New
Find
Notify
Tools

Form 1 finally arrived.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For over two years I was trying to design a 50 BMG silencer I could make on my lathe. Mailed it in on June 10, 2013 check cashed a month later, approved on March 23.

My largest project to date is a reflex design for a 338 ultra mag bolt gun but there is a big difference between suppressing 93 grains of powder and 235 grains. This one will be 2 x16 inches 316 SS or 4130 all 60 degree cones and spacers 100 % welded together. The tube will be .065" and just slide over the core with the ends welded. I think the blast baffle will be .010" and the others a bit thinner.

Simple and rugged, I hope. Barring any problems I'll have it finished in time for the 4th Annual KRRC Silencer Shoot in July. It should be the baddest suppressed rifle on the line. Smiler

Chances are it will look different than this by the time it comes the lathe.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good, Randy. How quiet are your cans compared to store bought equivalents? I'm wondering how much voodoo there is in this.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion, but increasing the volume of the expansion chamber is usually the easiest way to make the can more efficient; until you start playing with different baffle designs.

I've got a simple integrally-suppressed 9mm AR platform that I bought years ago that is just a tube with spacers and washers. But it is really quiet because the tube is about 18 inches long with about eight inches of that being expansion chamber.

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no voodoo at all. 60 degree cones work well whether they are K's, Omegas or M's.

I think on a bolt gun putting a baffle up near the muzzle is going to work better than leaving open space there. I have no way of knowing without a proper noise meter though.

Most of my cans work ok when shooting side by side with quality manufactured silencers with a few exceptions. My 9mm can is much noisier than the newest ones now, ten years ago it was ok though. My 458 socom and AK cans were made a bit too short for optimum performance.

Someday I will get a better 50 cal rifle and make another can for it.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might consider making the surfaces of the baffles rough, or stepped. Kinda like the reverse of porting and polishing a set of engine cylinder heads.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote