THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 50 CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  50 Caliber BMG Forum    U.S State Department export 50 ban ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S State Department export 50 ban ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone here tell me if the U.S State Department has banned the export of all 50 cal rifles[all types m/ls ,etc] and brass etc ? surely someone here can tell me pls ,im told here in Aust you cannot get 50cal and over ,anymore having ordered a double 500 ,iam not sure now if I can import it
Thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing in OZ prevents importation of the non military 50 cal. If you can get an import permit ie B709 a then it ain't a problem. I am not aware of any restrictions on US export though. YOu should talk to your US approved exporter handling the shipment.

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to import a 500 double.
After all, they come in all the time.

Export of .5 and above items from the US
may be a problem - barrels, brass etc but
most stuff is available from Europe anyway.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive checked the U.S State Department website nothing specific about it there ,checked the NRA website nothing there either .U.N website only that an Arms Trade Treaty was signed June 3 2013 ,limiting or banning exports of light arms ,small arms but no specifics ,still none the wiser

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might not be in writing

I did a quick google.

Leija barrels web site
"We understand through a phone conversation in 2004 with a State Department official that they are not approving export licenses for any .50 caliber barrels."

Pac-Nor web site
"We understand that export license for any .50 caliber barrels are not approved."

Now, I think this all has to do with 50 BMG
so I would investigate further.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
That was the case at one time but I think they recently changed their stance. I'm pretty sure it was just BMGs though.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
That was the case at one time but I think they recently changed their stance. I'm pretty sure it was just BMGs though.

Didn't it have to do with someone realising that
big bores, such as 500, 577, 600, 700 etc did
not mean they were military type weapons and
therefore were classed as destructive devices or something ?

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I'm honestly not sure. When I talked to Kelly McMillan in January he was excited that it looked like he could soon be exporting 50BMGs into Canada. It was to do with a U.S. regulation change.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess Australia is becoming like California.
Thanks to the cannon collector, governor, action movie star; Arnold.

Posts: 106 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote