New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping 50BMG
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is a crimp really nessisary for a single shot 50 cal?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never use it. Never heard of anyone who does, even with the semiautos. The neck tension is rather high, a load with primer only does not move the bullet out of the case.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not crimp mine. Never any trouble. I often seat the bullets out and crimping could actually cause trouble. I also do not crimp any of my other rifles loads from 204Ruger to 338Win Mag. I do crimp pistol rounds.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Armalite AR-50; never crimp; crimps are for machine guns.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1
I don't crimp for the AR50 or the M2FA.
Try pulling some seated bullets after you reload them, there is plenty of neck tenson.

Posts: 46 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Depends.- I crimp my .50 BMG 820 gr bore rider competition loads. Skip Talbot used to crimp his pretty deeply. My gun has shot <4.5 inches at 1000yrds verified and skip did way better than that. You decide.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote