Find
Notify
Tools

Clean .50 BMG brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do you clean them ?
I use the big Dillon tumbler, the big Dillon separator and DCB media, of course. Wink

http://www.dcbshooting.com/En/index.htm

[/QUOTE]

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Buy a small electric cement mixer, preferably one with a plastic drum.

I've heard that crushed walnut is available in petstores as cage lining - went looking saturday with no success.

Edmond, you should try it with your stuff and let us know how well it works.

How do I know this? I want to use this gimmick to polish SS boat propellers... thumb

HTRN

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've heard that crushed walnut is available in petstores as cage lining - went looking saturday with no success.

Never thought of that!
Found some here!

I'm sure it needs compound added, but for 1/3rd of the price...

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toolmaker:
Buy a small electric cement mixer, preferably one with a plastic drum.

Edmond, you should try it with your stuff and let us know how well it works.

How do I know this? I want to use this gimmick to polish SS boat propellers... thumb

HTRN

I have a few customers using cement mixers, mainly shooting ranges and some industrials reloaders plus one bullets maker who uses my media as a last step process when making TMJ bullets after I demonstrated that the protective film left after cleaniong protected his bullets from tarnishing plus it stopped the appearance of the small stains due to the coating process.
Some brass makers using it to clean up carbon after annealing, Kynamco ( Kynoch ) GPA bullets and a few others come to mind.

Some use it to clean propellers already, some gunsmiths and mechanics use it to remove carbon on valves and pistons.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
I got the idea from the home shop machinist message board. for mechanical polishing of aluminum prior to annodizing.

Ain't it amazing how a nasty mind can missaply common products? You should see what you can do with a beer keg... thumb

HTRN

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ain't it amazing how a nasty mind can missaply common products? You should see what you can do with a beer keg... thumb

I just try to make them lighter!

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmm... beer

2 seperate heat exchangers? I'm wondering???

Collins

one of us
posted Hide Post
I traded Ed Hubbel a "Burr Bench" vibratory tumbler, IIRC he posted photos of it here with something like 200 50BMG cases and 50 pounds of corncob pet litter and it was only 1/2 full.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Why I'm shocked that you'd think I would do anything nefarious or possibly illegal.

nope, nope, nope. Wink

HTRN

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
TM: That's gotta produce some mean home brew!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can brew corn cob or walnut hulls ? Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Here in Alabama, it's legal to make all the moonshine you want ... FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. It's only illegal when you try to sell it.

However, our local state liquor stores now stock moonshine for cheaper than one can make it at home, so the point is mostly moot.

I've still been considering the possibility of perhaps making a batch of my own scotch.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I'll bet it gets brass real clean!

I'm still suprised they sell PGA at the ABC Stores. I'd better get down there PDQ.

Collins

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Well, a little clarification:

It is ILLEGAL ANYWHERE to make distilled beverages in the US without a tax stamp. This is FEDERAL LAW. That "moonshine" has a tax stamp on it. The reason for all of this is, as always, money - the government wants it's cut.

You can brew up to 400 gallons of beer and make an unknown quantity of wine, but distilling ANYTHING for consumption is a big nono.

You can get a permit to make fuel with it, but it's an involved process and the feds look at you with suspicion when trying to get it.

Toolmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Hrmm ...

If that's the case then there's a discrepancy somewhere. I got my information on that from one of the local police officers in town, but we were all at a meeting and I just sort of asked him off the cuff about a still for personal use only. He could well have been mistaken too.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
For those that need to clean LOTS of 50 brass
link

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote