New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any LAR grizzly shooters here?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been shooting an LAR with a match chamber for several years. I compete at a 550 yard match several times a year in WA. I use hand loaded amax with IMI brass, CCI primers and WC860 powder. The ammo moves 2700 fps with a less than 20 fps stdev. I can only get 10-12" groups shooting from sand bags. I have a 4" wide steel plate in place of the bipod for shooting off of the sandbags. It may be that I am still flinching a bit, but I wonder if it is the rifle. Anyone else shooting an LAR at 500 yards or greater? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Sorry can't help you with the rifle, but have you had anyone else ever shoot the rifle? If so, how did their groups compare?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7760 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite common with A Max when barrel is too short, speed is low, twist rate is not accurate, one or combination of these elements, A Max is heavy, long and not easy to stabilize, try some good quality 640 to 680 grains bullets, if groups tighten, you get the answer.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been shoot'n a lar for long time now. never tried amax's best luck was always with military AP's

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot an LAR with standard chamber.......only shot it for group one time and that was with standard military ball bullets.......3 of us shooting one shot each put 3 shots in a 2 5/8" group at 300........

I really need to get out and do some longer range "paper" shooting with it.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote