Find
Notify
Tools

BMG forum?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
OK, I'm a selfish pig. Defenshield is making a set of 50BMG resistant windows for ********* and I've (the company) purchased a Steyr HS-50.

Long story short, the best board for the BMG pales in comparison to AR. Is there a demand enough here for a separate thread? Are there enough shooters?
The 50 is unique and I think there would be support for the unique reloading shooting and events associated with the round.
JMHO

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love a 50 BMG forum clap

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please send a window, I gonna test it LOL

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Well, HP White tested just the glass and it PASSED against AP! and here's the Video
50BMG vs 100mm glazing

Note the laminations (on the far left)

BUT I DIGRESS!!!

So, About a new Forum???

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Have a look at this :

http://www.kovotrio.cz/SNAIL.pdf

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
This glass stood up to a 50BMG? What was the range in the demonstration?

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
16 feet, of course the 50 BMG doesn't lose much between 0 and 100.

AND it was 50 AP, with the steel penetrator. This video was done at HP White, with a test report. It's the real deal...

But not enough interest for a forum? I guess I'll just have to split time between the military, benchrest, bigbore, reloading, and (shudder) the political forums. Alas

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Have a look at this :

http://www.kovotrio.cz/SNAIL.pdf

Jiri

Interesting, Jiri.

Exactly like the THV in fact,

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/THV.htm

SFM, the manufacturer went belly up 10 years ago.

I made many tests with them, nothing equaled them.

Collins, looks interesting, in another life this type of products was my job and shooting my hobby, my sport and my passion.
But I never tested any glazing with a round above 7,62 x 51 mm because the glazing we used had to be installed in bullet window profiles allowing 30 mm or 44 mm with offset glas beading.
wave

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brainshot
posted Hide Post
So, since we seem to have a 50BMG forum now, let me ask one question. Why is the 50BMG not used for big game hunting ? Ballistics seem to be more than adequate. I know rifles are heavy and recoil is stiff but I am a more than average built male just ending a career in competition rowing and a 20lb rifle is no threat for me. During my military service, off hand shooting with heavy machine guns was severly forbidden but great fun. What about hunting ?
PS: my hearing seems to be impaired already, at least my wife tells so.

Posts: 79 | Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
20lb
Eeker

I let you shoot that one.

For hunting, IMNSHO, 338 LM is optimum if you want and can shoot a long range shot.
Shooting long range makes you become a green horn again and you better learn many things you never needed below 300 or 500 yards such as wind drift and other external ballistic details.

.50 BMG outside of military is for fun but has no real use for hunting.
I would not hunt in area where hunters use .50 because of the maximum range.

One of Us
Picture of brainshot
posted Hide Post
I agree with range, thats an argument, since you live in Europe too and I do a lot of sailing in France, perhaps we can meet once and I shoot your rifle. If you come to Austria, contact me and we can arrange for some shooting with my rifles

Posts: 79 | Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brainshot:
Why is the 50BMG not used for big game hunting ? Ballistics seem to be more than adequate. I know rifles are heavy and recoil is stiff but I am a more than average built male just ending a career in competition rowing and a 20lb rifle is no threat for me.

They have been used enough in the U.S. that some states have banned them from hunting. Not real sporting setting up a benchrest and spotting scope to shoot elk on the next mountain was the reasoning. Barnes makes a 600 grain XTB bullet for hunting.I would not think of using mine as it weights in at 35 lbs.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
IMHO!
There is not a hunting purpose for the BMG

That being said, $3.50 each time I pull the trigger to hit a 20" target @ 1000 yds is WELL worth it! The Steyr is 33 lbs and it's a single shot. It's also a push feed. Not a hunting rifle!

Welcome to the 50 Cal. forum!!!

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
IMHO!

That being said, $3.50 each time I pull the trigger to hit a 20" target @ 1000 yds is WELL worth it! The Steyr is 33 lbs and it's a single shot. It's also a push feed. Not a hunting rifle!

Forum de facto! Big Grin

3.50 is cheap, Match quality stuff like the Match G 2 that I distribute costs much more, it's based on the PPI of defunct SFM, using a brass sabot that is turned on CNC after being assembled with the front part (APEI on military loads)

quote:
Originally posted by brainshot:
I agree with range, thats an argument,

Normal shooting ranges don't allow shooting the .50, too much damage to the backstop compared to usual calibers.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I can think of a few reasons the 50 BMG isn't terribly popular for hunting.

Most rifles are in the 35-45 pound range, which limits them to shooting off of bench or elevated stand.

There really aren't any suitable hunting bullets for them. Many hunting areas restrict the use of ball or solid amunition, so that leaves the bullets designed for the 500 NE and 500 Jeffrey. I'm sure the Barens 570 gr X bullet would be suitable.

Meat loss, if one uses and expanding bullet, there likely won't be much left of the animal, and a solid will be less effective than a smaller bore with an expanding bullet.

Species hunted, there simply aren't that many animals that require tremendous amount of power to kill, and those that do, beg for a shoulder carried and fired weapon.

It's like driving a 10 ton dump truck to pick up a 20 kilo bag of dog food, sure the dump truck is up to the task, but whats the point?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's like driving a 10 ton dump truck to pick up a 20 kilo bag of dog food, sure the dump truck is up to the task, but whats the point?

Sure Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

Sure Big Grin

Seconded clap

Collins

posted Hide Post
my UL50 is only about 13lb's

i i can shoot it fine offhand
Click here to watch ul50-offhand

as for hunting, most use 3 bullets
barns X
A-max
or ball "if the state dont require use of a hollow point, it will do the job vary nicely"

i shoot 15 to 20lb ground hog with spotters for fun.

but big game guys use it on bear, moose, elk, bison.

and lots of guys here http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
use then from 700 to 1300 yards

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
IMHO!

A 1000 yard shot at dangerous game wouldn't require CRF action, although the getting of a 1000 yard shot might take some doing. Smiler The inspection of the animal for trophy worthiness might be difficult at 1000 yards, also. roflmao Of course, whether nondangerous or dangerous game, at that range you might find the trophy "claimed" by others by the time you got there!! Smiler

I guess you can tell I am an "upclose and personal" type guy!!

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote