THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 50 CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  50 Caliber BMG Forum    Ever think of your 50BMG as more than a long range paper punch?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever think of your 50BMG as more than a long range paper punch?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
This may not be popular here; but as the owner/operator of both a short action bolt gun (sold) and a M82 (current), Ive always wondered why they are thought of as long range paper punches. I have no problem if thats what you want and in fact its commendable if you are interested in making one hole groups. I started out that way; but have little interest in doing that anymore. In fact my M82 has a EOTech red dot mounted on it.

For me a 50BMG is just another item on the work bench. Its a specialized tool; but one that few others can duplicate. Its not about long range; but stopping hard targets up close. All you have to do is read what the Cartels are doing with home made and actual military armored vehicles. Thats where a "hard hitter" comes into play, as a direct fire anti-vehicle weapon for defense of a strong point.

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
As restrictive as the gun laws are here in the UK, the .50 BMG is legal...for punching paper. It is considered a target rifle only here Frowner

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 50 BMG is a great example of the more is better philosophy. Paper, fur or harder targets... whatever... it's just another gun with a big smile factor.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I consider mine a hunting rifle. Coyotes, jackrabbits, pronghorn and several bison have been taken with mine. It isn't very good for overnight pack hunts though.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
To be clear I have no problem with using them for paper targets; I just think too many of "us" owners are afraid to admit the other side.

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
not sure what you mean by "the other side"

as previously mentioned, a 50BMG is a bigger hammer.

It has more uses than just punching paper. But then again, what weapon does not?

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low_tech:
not sure what you mean by "the other side"......

I just think too many of "US" in the fifty caliber family are afraid to admit they are weapons and think that by stressing they are target rifles, that no one will want to ban them. That didnt work in California and it wont work any place else. Its the same logic espoused by duck hunters who say my shotgun is good cause its got a long barrel; but that one is bad cus its ugly and meant to hurt people...

As for me I have a M82. Its a weapon. Ive never hurt anyone with it; but owning it is a statement of personal freedom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PH I hunted with in '09 came to visit me this January and on his and his wife's bucket list was to shoot the big .50. Fortunately for him, mine crossed that wish off the list. and the smiles and shaking hands from the rush afterward were worth the rounds I will write off as another part of his tip. the other side came up in our conversation. There is definitely an "other side"!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have plans to whack a Moose and some bears with mine. Just need the right venue for the proper set-up. Many places I hunt have great visibility and a short walk from the airplane. It's the potential meat packing route that needs very careful consideration.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote