Notify
Tools

Rusty Steyr
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen a question if I can
I bought a Steyr H50
The gun comes in a case and is broken down a cleaning rod is stored in the barrel.
When the gun arrived and I picked up the barrel and removed the cleaning rod ,I noticed the rod was covered in a red rust dust.
Looking through the barrel it was hard to make out the rifling from the rust.
I seems that the barrel never had any rust preventive in it and was shipped lashed down on the bow of the container ship to Canada.
Anyway I send the gun back requesting a different gun.
It has been a few weeks now and my dealer yesterday was talking about cleaning it up and mumbling something about a different gun.
Now I will not except the same gun but I want to make sure that the gun they are going to send me has a good barrel on it ,after all we are not talking about a $700 Ruger here.

My question is ; can anybody give me a idea what a .50 barrel should look like?
I have a bore scope and do I look for a finish like my TRG Sako or a match grade Lilja?
Would it be not lapped but sharp and clear ?

Your help is appreciated
Regards Martin

Posts: 327 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should look like any other bore.
I'd say this one has been sitting in a warehouse for some time.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrels of my 50 BMG's were bright and the rifling was free of machining marks when they arrived. I have a Walther -Lothar stainless on one of them. I doubt that the rust can be effectively cleaned from your barrel and no doubt that accuracy will suffer from a rifle designed for long range shooting. Unfortunate that the barrel was put in this condition. I hope that you can get a replacement rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Same gun here. The cleaning rod that shipped is red. My barrel was perfect. Any chance it was red fiberglass residue from the rod bouncing around the barrel? I don't remember my cleaning rod being shipped that way

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello sorry for the late repl
I posted the same question on gunsmithing and basicly got the same answers
So thank you all

Collins, the cleaning rod in my case was black plastic coated.
The barrel was coated with a powdery red substance looking like rust.
I did not clean the barrel as to not remove the evidence so to speak.
Maybe is was not rust but I was not willing to take the chance not for $5500.
In the mean time not much has happened the gun is payed for but I don't have it.
May try to find a phone # from Steyr in Austria and give them a call to find out how they ship there guns

Regards Martin

Posts: 327 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote