Find
Notify
Tools

50 BMG or .416 Barrett?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted
I am thinking about building a rifle for some long range shooting. However I cannot make up my mind, a 50BMG or the .416 Barrett. I do not have any experiance with either cartridge. So which would you choose and why?

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 50. the 416 came about for people that couldn't own the 50 in California. With the 50 you have more availability in Brass and a lot more choices in projectiles. I don't know of any 416 cal incindiaries or tracers and that's half the reason to own a 50.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Filmit.
You have a good point. I realize that there are a lot of components for the 50. I have never shot any incindiaries or tracers in any caliber, sounds like fun. I am primarily interested in accuracy potential. I have not heard a lot about the .416 Barret. The 50 has a long and distinguished history. It would be interesting to hear from someone with a .416

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
If your purely looking for a long range rifle for target and hunting without the variety of hard target projectiles:

The 416 Barrett shoots a flatter trajectory.

I have fired it and the 408 Chey-Tac and of course several 50's.

More routinely I shoot 338 Lapua, 300 RUM, 308
at longer distances.

It all depends on what you want, and more particularly what you want to spend--
both initially and on-going.

Also are you thinking 1000 yds or up to 2000 yds?

That will also need to be considered as well as target vs game use.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Duggaboye,
I am looking for a rifle to be used for both hunting and target. Mostly long range varmint hunting.
As far as what I want to spend, I am a firearms mfg. I am building my own action and stock system. Not terribly original, a bolt action with a 5 shot detachable mag. This is something I have been toying with for a lot of years.
I would love to have the capability to shoot accurately beyond 1000 yds. I have read a lot about the balistics for both rounds. How well does the .416 really perform at extended ranges? Is it as inherantly accurate as the .50?
Thanks

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I have only fired the semi version of the 416, it was absolutely as accurate as the 50 , if not more-so.

This was a 1 day session with ranges to 1500.

Varmints ?

For coyotes etc , I like the 338 LM or the 338 Edge out to 1500.

But that's why we have so many options, we all like different things.

What size varmints are you eyeing?

(I used a 50 out on BLM land many years ago on feral donkeys after having poor effect with a 300WinMag the year before--too bad its illegal now)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
The varmints I am after would include Texas hogs(have a friend who has a lease),coyotes,p dogs, and maybe an antelope or deer. Too bad there are no donkeys in WY, I bet that was awesome! I have had great results with a 7.62 warbird. Just looking for something new. I have been wanting to build a 50 for a long time.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
The first one I built was a Maddi kit with a barrel from a tank 50.

It was accurate enough--
but a pain in the a$$ to operate.

50's are fun, the ammo is still fairly available-- they are big , heavy, as is the ammo-

If you want one you should build it ( and a .338 Wink )

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Actually I have started building it. Working on the reciever. Its a side project so it will be a long while before its done. Just cant decide between the two cartridges. I am leaning towards the .416 Barret
Not to hijack my ownthread but I am excited about the new Savage 110 BA. Would be very easy to unscrew the Lapua barrel and make it into almost anything. Ugly but LOTS of potential.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 50 chambering has numerous projectiles to run thru the bore.
If you want to turn projectiles the 416 should be your chambering.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote