New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got a AR50
 Login/Join

Picture of reloader492
posted
Just got a Armalite AR50 shot only twice.Trying to justify buying reloading equipment instead of buying ammo.When I price the comparison I can cut the price by at least 1 dollar per round for plinking but at least 2 dollars for match grade.Do I really need to reload?Or is the payback worth it.Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Posts: 5 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It depends upon how much you intend to shoot.

The more you shoot, the more quickly your investment in reloading pays off.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of reloader492
posted Hide Post
A little to start with and ease into the shooting of a firearm this large.I am always concerned about the backstop,so I am cautious about where I shoot the AR50.To answer your question- about 50 rounds a month.

posted Hide Post
At $50-$100 in ammunition a month, it is worth it to relaod.

Visit FCSA and other .50BMG-related sites to see what folks are using.

Shop the 'net for used dies, and a used press if you don't have one that can handle the .50BMG.

Buy some milsurp ammunition for now and reload the brass.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of reloader492
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you reload only to save money then I wouldn't bother to reload for the fifty. Unless as others said you shoot a fairly high volume.
But if you reload as a hobby in itself. or you want to craft loads specifically for your AR50. Then reload you must.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy ammo for my rim fires, 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 only. Everything else I reload. I save by far the most money reloading the 50 bmg. It currently costs me about $1.10 per round for the 50 bmg because I buy surplus powder, brass and bullets. I never have to worry about buying bad surplus ammo that is only safe in an M2.

Match grade ammo using new brass and good bullets costs much more, but I am able to use surplus powder because it still gives me a low stdev. I spent about $500 on new RCBS equipment back in 1999, but it was well worth it. I only had to load 300 rounds to recoup my investment. I was able to convert the RCBS 50 bmg press to a progressive using old piggyback 2 parts for progressive loading of smaller calibers.

I have put nearly 2000 rounds through my LAR by now. I just can not imagine buying that much ammo.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of reloader492
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.I took the plunge and got a RCBS rig,wilson trimmer, and using a old RCBS 304 scale to weigh the powder with.