The Accurate Reloading Forums
1.5 x 12 press

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/619104082/m/3371099041

22 September 2010, 04:59
Alan W
1.5 x 12 press
Gents:
We have been making custom dies for a number of years and are venturing into 50 cal for BR folks.
Make up is based around your brass, ID, OD ground off of arbors, Head Space acjustable, custome shell holders, blah 'blah.

Please point me to a source for a press w/ 1.5- 12 thread so I can trial run/ set up in the shop.

Thanks

Alan
23 September 2010, 00:39
Macifej
Only thing off the rack is Corbin. Rethreading an Ammomaster etc likely won't yield the precise alignmet BR requires.

http://www.corbins.com/pr-csp2.htm
23 September 2010, 03:32
Idaho Sharpshooter
If God smiles on you, you might locate an RCBS A4 somewhere. I have one, and it is the best HD press I have ever seen.

good luck

Rich
23 September 2010, 07:51
dpcd
I use a Lee press and the threads are 1.25 by 14 I believe. It works very well and was cheap.
23 September 2010, 08:09
Idaho Sharpshooter
What thread is the big Redding?

Rich
23 September 2010, 08:36
Macifej
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
What thread is the big Redding?

Rich

Small and not enough opening.
24 September 2010, 02:55
Alan W
\Thanks for all the replies.
Not sure where I'm headed on this. Funny thing is, I have an A-4 but it must be an early version. It is threaded 1.375 - 12. Plenty of opening so maybe I'll just open it up to 1.5.

Alan
19 January 2011, 03:34
Omnivorous_Bob
quote:
Only thing off the rack is Corbin. Rethreading an Ammomaster etc likely won't yield the precise alignmet BR requires.

I use 1.5x12 dies in my stock Ammomaster II all of the time.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"
19 January 2011, 07:45
Macifej
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
quote:

I use 1.5x12 dies in my stock Ammomaster II all of the time.

Bob

My bad, I was thinking 2"-12. I have a Hornady BMG press opened up to 2" from 1.5".
19 January 2011, 08:49
Omnivorous_Bob
Macifej, I'd ask what you need 2" dies for, but I don't really want to know. My shoulder hurts just thinking about it!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"
19 January 2011, 10:34
Macifej
quote:
Macifej, I'd ask what you need 2" dies for, but I don't really want to know. My shoulder hurts just thinking about it!

Bob

For these Mr. Bobniverous! I'm with you, I just makes em, I leave the shootin' to much bigger guys.

Big Grin

20 January 2011, 02:30
CowboyCS
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:

Bob

For these Mr. Bobniverous! I'm with you, I just makes em, I leave the shootin' to much bigger guys.

Big Grin

I've shot both of those, and you don't need a press to reload the big ones(I made the hand reloading dies for the 2 Bore) and the little ones(45-70gov't) fit in my standard RCBS just fine.

Colin
20 January 2011, 08:38
Macifej
quote:
I've shot both of those

One of two guys walking the Earth!

Big Grin
25 January 2011, 05:29
bigdoggy700
Cowboy S. makes a neat little hand set to reload those 2 bore shells with 3500 grain round balls. He will include one with the purchase of a 2 bore gun made by him. He does excellent work too.!!
25 January 2011, 19:13
Idaho Sharpshooter
BD,

where you been man?

Rich
28 January 2011, 12:06
Edmond
I have used the Hornady Lock-N-Load 50 BMG, I love the quick change of tools. I used RCBS tools for the .50, one case tri die and a chamfering tool are included in the set.

29 January 2011, 09:31
bigdoggy700
Idaho, hi Rich, My twin brother passed away in October and I have been helping my sister in law with things. He lived 3 blocks from me and we did everything together for about the last 30 years. It has taken awhile to get back in the groove of things. Some how I always get back into guns to get things back to normal. Also had a son get married in November so I have been a little busy. Doing a little better now. thanks
01 February 2011, 02:10
Idaho Sharpshooter
BD,

see you in July. The Cubs are in town the end of the month.

Rich
16 July 2011, 21:00
Kevin Rohrer
Dillon also makes a dedicated .50BMG press costing a cool $1000.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.
20 December 2013, 06:17
CHIPB
What about this big CH4D?
http://www.ch4d.com/equipment/presses/RC000
28 December 2013, 00:10
McKay
I find my AmmoMaster II a little lacking leverage occasionally when sizing military 50cal brass. Just ordered a Corbin Mega-Mite after using a friends. Whole new ball game. Have heard mixed reviews on the Walnut Hill Press and not great reviews on the CH4D.

Mac

28 December 2013, 04:07
CHIPB
Mac: I am wondering…on the Corbin press…is there a long backorder time frame? I've heard as much as 18 months. Thanks. Chip.
29 December 2013, 21:21
McKay
quote:
Originally posted by CHIPB:
Mac: I am wondering…on the Corbin press…is there a long backorder time frame? I've heard as much as 18 months. Thanks. Chip.

I think there is longer lead times on the $10,000 presses they make but as far as these cheaper presses they make they are about a month lead time I believe. Mine should be shipping this week.

Mac

30 December 2013, 09:14
Divernhunter
Hornady makes a 50bmg press for the 1.5" dies. You can put in an adapter for regular 7/8" dies.
I load all my 50bmg ammo with the Hornady 50BMG press.
30 December 2013, 13:16
Edmond
I used the Hornady 50 BMG press for years, it is excellent.
Especially that I adapted my RCBS Big Max handle to it (the one with rolling wooden handle) I used it as well to form cases.
09 February 2014, 07:08
Kevin Rohrer
Dillon makes a press for the big boy calibers like .50BMG.

The larger Hollywoods will handle them.

CH makes a couple presses that will, too.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

09 February 2014, 09:45
big will
Do they still make the large Hollywood press?I heard another
company brought them.
15 February 2014, 07:02
Kevin Rohrer
A one man company bought out Hollywood a long time ago and makes the Senior Turret sporadically. He is now quite old and experienced a fire that has further slowed production. It's anyone's guess if new presses are being made or not, but they appear quite often on Ebay.

Member:

23 February 2014, 23:44
Alberta Canuck
Keep your eyes open at gun shows & auction sites. Many of the older RCBS, Redding, and other presses always came originally drilled for those big dies, and use a hex-head, screw-in bushing which is in turn drilled and tapped to allow the use of the 7/8 x14 dies. Even Herter's made some that way.

They were originally intended to accommodate both the .577 & 600 N.E. cartridges as well as the .50 BMG.

Anyway, they are a little short for really easy put-your-mind-on-automatic use, but will do the job just fine. There were quite a number of RCBS presses built that way...the "A", "A-2", "A-3", and "A-4" are some of them, but there were plenty of others. As they are very heavy, a lot of "regular" reloaders tend to buy something lighter and cheaper, there is very little market for the used big ones. Real Bargains can be had.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

02 March 2014, 11:24
Divernhunter
I have the Hornady 50bmg press kit with dies and the powder measure. I am happy with both.
The press is the 1.5" size.
30 March 2014, 08:30
Anjin
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Keep your eyes open at gun shows & auction sites. Many of the older RCBS, Redding, and other presses always came originally drilled for those big dies, and use a hex-head, screw-in bushing which is in turn drilled and tapped to allow the use of the 7/8 x14 dies. Even Herter's made some that way.

They were originally intended to accommodate both the .577 & 600 N.E. cartridges as well as the .50 BMG.

Anyway, they are a little short for really easy put-your-mind-on-automatic use, but will do the job just fine. There were quite a number of RCBS presses built that way...the "A", "A-2", "A-3", and "A-4" are some of them, but there were plenty of others. As they are very heavy, a lot of "regular" reloaders tend to buy something lighter and cheaper, there is very little market for the used big ones. Real Bargains can be had.

The Big Max A4 does work for big cartridges where relatively few others do. I know that I got one in the 1980s for my H&H 500/450 3-1/4" reloading, because those would not fit in my RCBS Rockchucker. The Big Max worked fine.

I got my dies directly from Jim Bell along with some of his brass and the rifle, and they are RCBS, so I cannot add any insights into other sized dies.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.
02 March 2017, 07:37
WoodHunter
I have a press for sale in the classifieds. 1.5x12 threads.
06 June 2017, 06:06
cal pappas
The Ammomaster is cheap and functional but shows how RCBS has moved away from quality over the decades. With different bushings, I use the 1.5 diameter for my 4-bore, the 1.25 for my 8-bore, 1" for .600, and the 7/8" for everything else.
cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)
04 September 2017, 23:38
Kevin Rohrer
I "think" some of the bigger Hollywoods are 1.5x12, but am not sure.

Member:

09 October 2017, 19:34
WoodHunter
I will take some photos of the brute I have and post here.

It will be available soon as I continue the shop cleanup and divest myself of the items I will no longer use.

Match reamers and dies also available.

And lots of brass and powder.

Too difficult to ship, if a guy is willing to drive to the Seattle area I may be talked into a deal.
01 November 2017, 15:30
WILDCAT 762
Hi,
i´m making my own. C-Frame with changeable Insets from 7/8x14 to 1 1/2x12.

Best
Wildcat762

26 January 2022, 00:34
Steve E.
Wildcat

That is one sweet press.

Steve.....

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran
26 January 2022, 05:56
WoodHunter

31 January 2022, 02:25
Atkinson
The best press I know of is the RCBS A-2, it has the 50 BMG option as well as the std. 7/8x14..A great press and powerful..Available from Brownells and others...Ive had one for many years they used to come with both options, but now the BMG comes with an added price tag with it..still its not unreasonable..

I have never ued the BMG unit and never will, what is it worth, its new and unused..Id sell it I suppose...It came with the all the A-2 RCBS presses when I bought this one for less than $200. Today they sell sky high it seems..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
02 February 2022, 00:25
big will
Can you or anyone tell who makes reloading tool for 2-bore cartridges?