THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 50 CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  50 Caliber BMG Forum    Recommended Sources for Large Bore and Long (~48") Barrel Blanks?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended Sources for Large Bore and Long (~48") Barrel Blanks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Couple falling block on steroids action projects are almost finished and need barrel blanks. I hadn't gone shopping for blanks over .458 for a while. Not sure where to look for sourcing them.

Looking for somebody that makes / to make a ~22-24" .700 blank and a ~48 inch long BMG blank.

Any recommended sources to look at? Better/worse quality of service.

I've been running into "we aren't tooled to do .700) with barrel makers I've called on the one project and "We don't make barrels longer than 38" on the other project. Exact twists and grooves haven't been decided firmly on, just bore size for one (still debating which .700 cartridge) and cartridge t'other.

I've a friend that has all the tooling to do both but the machines are mothballed because he's in a different area of gunsmithing now and he doesn't currently have a place as far as floor space to set them up if he had the time to make barrels again.

All suggestions welcome.

Hope it's cool if I post this at the Gunsmithing and Big Bore Forums too, in case somebody with knowledge at one of those places doesn't generally read here. ???

Thanks,

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
No help here, checked w/ friend of mine at Douglas and longest blanks they do are finished at 34" Good luck.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried PacNor? I think they can do both...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lilja makes 50's out to 45" inches. It's not 48" but it's dam close.

Posts: 124 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe lothar walther

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anzio has barrels up to 50", and 20mm bore, so he might be able to get you what you are looking for. I don't believe them to be surplus barrels the likes.

-Extremist
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Instructor
Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do.
"I hope you live forever" -300
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"
http://www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 213 | Location: Auburn, IN | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
there's a reason they charge ALOT more for long blanks .. its hard on tooling, machines, and even harder to get it right and consistent over that length ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre man, why do you need that 48" barrel" You have to carry the thing and that extra several pounds will wear you out. Am cutting mine down and tapering the barrel. Tired of all that arduous labor-lol. Getting soft in my old age.

Posts: 25 | Location: South piedmont N.C. | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote