Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted
I recentally accuired a Barret m82A1 and would like to put a scope on it. The place I purchased it from has Nightforce brand scopes. Any help is appreciated. I will be using this for mosquitoes next summer.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on $$ - i once had a tasco that finally broke after about 8 years had a bushnell that lastee about 120 rds - now using leupold with no problems for about 4 years(i go through about 500 peds/year)

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I brought came with a fixed Swarovski scope. It’s been pretty stable with no problems, although I haven’t shot nearly the volume butch has.

Posts: 10462 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
I think I might go with a Nightforce from Cabela’s so that I might use my points. $1900 just seems a bit much for a rifle that will only hunt paper.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy has a nightforce beast on his for a few years with no problems

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most anything you like; most 50 cal rifles have less recoil impulse than a 30-06, and for sure less than some magnums. My AR 50 just sits there.

Posts: 17010 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is no snob appeal for it, but to each his own, I have a $300 SWFA SS on a M99 and it has held up well. I have used several of those scopes and "for the money" they are hard to beat.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Most anything you like; most 50 cal rifles have less recoil impulse than a 30-06, and for sure less than some magnums. My AR 50 just sits there.

Good thought! The weight and muzzle brakes needed to save the shooters also saves the scopes.

Posts: 4909 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 4.5x14 Long Range on my M33 Barrett. Magnification is another concern. My area 400 yards is a longish shot. Very few places to shoot 600-1000 yards. Too much magnification and you can't locate your target with a small field of view or a moving target forget about it with high magnification. The Nightforce 5.5x22 would do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 8.5-25X50 LR w/ Mil Dot has served me well on my custom McM for the past 20yrs.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

An AR is not a Barrett .50 BMG. The latter’s recoil impulse is far greater than that of a .30-06, and the muzzle brake makes things even worse for a scope. The recoil impulse pushes the scope to the rear with high acceleration. Then when the bullet base is in the brake the vented gas abruptly stops/almost stops that rearward movement with more high acceleration. These forces really put a strain on scope internals and break crosshairs etc. Just because a cheap scope works on a hunting rifle doesn’t mean it will last long on a big .50. Even a high quality scope can fail if it is not designed for the large forces involved.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Makers and astroturfers will naturally say 'this scope can take it'. However, the articulated erector tubes of most modern scopes almost guarantees that in the long run they can't. What you really need is something where the erector set is rock solid and the reticle is contained in something like this - except maybe it could have a sandwiched, etched graticule:
https://i.imgur.com/iT0lUP2.jpg?1

No erector tube rocking about, no windage screw to twist the spring, just that gem of the riflescope past - mechanical integrity.

Posts: 4909 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
quote:

An AR is not a Barrett .50 BMG. The latter’s recoil impulse is far greater than that of a .30-06, and the muzzle brake makes things even worse for a scope. The recoil impulse pushes the scope to the rear with high acceleration. Then when the bullet base is in the brake the vented gas abruptly stops/almost stops that rearward movement with more high acceleration. These forces really put a strain on scope internals and break crosshairs etc. Just because a cheap scope works on a hunting rifle doesn’t mean it will last long on a big .50. Even a high quality scope can fail if it is not designed for the large forces involved.

The ArmaLite AR-50 is a .50 BMG, single-shot, bolt-action long range rifle manufactured by ArmaLite. Wikipedia

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original Night Force 5 x 22 scopes on my Noreen and have not had a scope issue; mine was realizing that if you use a scope that heavy, you need a damn good mount or they will shoot loose.

Since mine is a toy I'm going to quit risking my Night Force and put my fixed 10x SWFA on it. Fewer parts to strain. Cuz is right; good scope for the money. You get a lot more bang for the buck with fixed power.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm running a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 FFP with mil-dot reticle. Seems to be rock solid and really, really clear images. I picked it up for around 700 bucks when the manufacturer was moving to the Vortex 2.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I have one of the original Night Force 5 x 22 scopes on my Noreen and have not had a scope issue; mine was realizing that if you use a scope that heavy, you need a damn good mount or they will shoot loose.

Since mine is a toy I'm going to quit risking my Night Force and put my fixed 10x SWFA on it. Fewer parts to strain. Cuz is right; good scope for the money. You get a lot more bang for the buck with fixed power.

I dragged my feet on the change-out and two weeks ago my 5.5 x 22 Nightforce gave up the ghost. No response to input from the turrets. I think it wasn't the gun per se, but the extra jostling it took for the loose mounts. Either way it's off to Nightforce for repair and nothing more on the BMG that doesn't have a lifetime warranty.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Either way it's off to Nightforce for repair and nothing more on the BMG that doesn't have a lifetime warranty.

The only scopes on my rifles that don't have life time warranty are on my 22rf's

Posts: 19295 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote