THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 50 CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  50 Caliber BMG Forum    Is the Steyr HS-50 a good quality .50 cal, is it durable and safe as good as AR50 ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the Steyr HS-50 a good quality .50 cal, is it durable and safe as good as AR50 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since this thread is well hijacked and about airborne, I will sell my whole collection of Paratroopers helmets, Brit WW2, 1938 gray blue Luftwaffe Fallshirmjäger etc...
Anyone interested, PM me.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ThanksPC, I got your PM.
What is the 510?

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
510?? Confused

only thing that comes to mind is the SIG assault rifle 510, export version of the StG 57 also called SIG AMT in semi auto civilian version.

OOOOPS!

.510 is a round used in some rifles in California to circumvent the prohibition of .50 BMG ammo for civilian use there.

Take some .50 BMG brass, shorten the neck, set the shoulder down et voilà, it is no more a .50 BMG.
Use the usual bullets that are .510 in real diameter.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
510, thanks for your PM.

Ed yes, that's the one.
I like the idea, similar to one here in OZ years ago with the 303. The NSW Gov't banned 303s after WW2, so the shooters simply cut 1 thread off the BBL, refitted the BBL, modified the dies to suit, and away you go. Called it the 7.7 from memory.

Looks as if the HS 50 will run to about $8,000 AUD vs an AI 50 at around $15,000 AUD. Plus whatever the 'smith charges to do the chamber mods...

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same here, called .303 Sporting, .30 Carbine becomes .30 Short, 8 x 57 becomes 8 x 60 or 8 x 64, 30-06 becomes 30-06 short to declassify from the war material category.

Go for the HS, not even the wholesale price here...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a firm price on the HS 50. $7,200 AUD.
Now to figure out how to afford it... Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask wife, Christmas is coming. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave who are you looking to go through ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems as though all of the current order are sold.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Did you get one?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got one on order, not one of the current batch though.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got your permit yet PC?

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the permit is denied! "No sporting purpose"!!!
Mad

Ah well, I've always wanted a 408 Chey Tac... Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is also available in the 460 Steyr, called 11.65 X 90.50 in Europe, based on the .50 BMG case shortened and necked down to .458", 500 grains bullet around 2800 fps.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:
And the permit is denied! "No sporting purpose"!!!
Mad

Ah well, I've always wanted a 408 Chey Tac... Big Grin

Send them to the FCSA.org site!
Send them a copy of "Very High Power" Magazine. these people need informing

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason they gave was that there is no rifle range in OZ with a safety template to handle the .50 cal.
The next app will be for hunting and pest destruction...

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
Did you get one?

Yes, due in December.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
Did you get one?

Yes, due in December.

If you can make it to upstate NY (Syracuse) before then I'll certainly let you shoot mine. (bring Ausie beer (not Fosters))

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carlton it is , then. Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason they gave was that there is no rifle range in OZ with a safety template to handle the .50 cal.
The next app will be for hunting and pest destruction...

Is roo considered pest? some may have thick skin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've known the guy who told me that for a few years now, I don't think he would lie.
But who knows? Lots of things could go wrong between now and Dec...

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the next thing to go wrong, did...

"No Sporting Purpose". That's their reason for knocking back this application, again. Mad

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC, have you investigated the PTA situation. It's my understanding that you almost certainly won't be able to get one, unless you've got some pretty exceptional circumstances.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwuhahahahah!

The permit for a .510 has been approved! With no limits on usage!
Now to talk Peter into doing the mods...
Those boulders up the back of Little River may just be in for some damage... Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave...............510 What ?? Is my gun dealer correct in what he is saying about the ssaa number etc. ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dunno about your Dealers SSAA number idea. Who are you going through?

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted Hide Post
In Victoria put 12.7 and you should get a pta

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The markings on the BBL must match the writing on the permit.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bwuhahahahah!

Those boulders up the back of Little River may just be in for some damage... Big Grin

thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep! And they are only 500m away! Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bwuhahahahah!

GREAT NEWS! Now go make smaller rocks!
(it's a little bit unnerving that if you'd gone to jail over the whole mess, you'd still be making big rocks into small rocks, but from about a meter away)

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I did shoot some rocks, it really makes them into small stones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Collins,

thankyou for your pics and help thus far, I hope the gun does not take the full 12 months to arrive and I hope there are no legal laws bought in to screw us over Roll Eyes

Keep your fingers crossed. The first thing Rudd did on being sworn in, was to close ANZAC range.

It's only 3 weeks to the projected delivery date, maybe you should apply for you permit?

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ANZAC Range is that Little River ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malabar, in Sydney...

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Missed out again! Not enough came in to fill the orders! Mad

Cheers, Dave.