THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 50 CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  50 Caliber BMG Forum    Is the Steyr HS-50 a good quality .50 cal, is it durable and safe as good as AR50 ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the Steyr HS-50 a good quality .50 cal, is it durable and safe as good as AR50 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is this .50 a good one ?? Is it a shell holder type of gun where you take the bolt out ??

Another forumite has said it has a lot of alloy parts and not steel is this an issue ??

How does it compare to the famed AR-50

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it makes the ar-50 look like a kit gun,

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the AR 50 a kit gun? Big Grin

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I have one HS-50 and it's very, very solid. It's a proper bolt action, not a shell holder Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I'll post pics on my website and send you links. anything posted here gets killed with bandwidth issues. I'm lucky and cursed. I live in New York State, but I have enough room in my backyard to shoot the 50. I don't know of a soft or hard case for it except the box it came in. I'll see if I can dig up the manual and PDF it for you. There are several Naysayers here and I'm assuming you'll be re-loading, but I think you'll find the Styer very well built and very accurate. I have heard nothing new about the 460 Steyr (since it was on their website) so I'm not sure how valid any info is, but it's 2 screws to remove the barrel assembly and I'd have to guess that Steyr will sell the assembly. easy enough. we'll see in '08... more soon

Effective Muzzle Brake

Collins

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also what soft case can you get to fit them and is there a carry handle accessory for it.

Don't know if they ship to the down under, but check here, these are good soft cases.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it it's built like everything else Steyr makes it will be very robust. Example: Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon - built by Steyr. I have had SSGPII & Still have SSGPI. Have a M95 Carbine built in 1917 shoots pretty close to as well as my 2 year old SSGPI out to 200 yards with modern ammo.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks any more information appreciated.

Collins I am looking forwards to the links.

posted Hide Post
This chap has one and it has proven to be very accurate with Amax booolits.
One thing though......The bipod on my gun had a week spring on the retainer button and would from time to time jump out of the slot apon firing.Another fella I spoke with ran into the same thing, we were both shooting from a bench when this situation would accure.

Ty

Posts: 17 | Location: Canuck | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
OK, Here it is. you'll have to browse yourselves but I didn't want to ruin someone who wasn't on broadband... (Steyr Images)

The smaller cart is a 5.56 NATO
Steyr06.jpg shows the 2 bolts that secure the upper and lower.
There's also a reasonably tight Tongue and Groove shown in 02 and 05.
And the upper is recessed about 6mm into the "bolt tube" (for lack of a better definition)
I didn't realize how dirty it was.

(camera is a Samsung NV11)

Collins

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Hey, PC, what are the laws in Oz concerning pellet guns, paintball and Softair pistols? I've heard they're oppressive but if you're getting a BMG...

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
Hey, PC, what are the laws in Oz concerning pellet guns, paintball and Softair pistols? I've heard they're oppressive but if you're getting a BMG...

Collins you require a shooeters licence to own them.......................even someone whom wants to do paintball or skirmish needs a shooters licence to OWN a paintball gun, I think they maybe able to go and do it though at a paintball center, as the one time I have been for a mates bucks party, there wher heaps of people there and I doubt alll of them would have had shooters licences.

I see on the pics of your steyr you have a "smith & wesson grip" or something like that was it more comfortable for you ??

Collins do you know wether with the nightforce NXS 12-42x56 scope will we get to 1000 yards with the base thats on the gun..................will this scope have enough elevation to get us to 1000 yards without having to get a base with say 20 moa cant in it like i have on my .300 rum Rem 700 ??

also what height badger max 50 rings would go with that gun I am geussing with all that clearence we may get away with using the standard .829" height ones.

We are also thinking of shooting some woodleigh .510 " 600 gr protected points in the steyr there quite short in length compared to an A-Max do you think they would shoot alright for plinking ?? Have you tried some ?? or maybe you could try some in the near future Big Grin

Sorry for all the questions I just want to get heaps of information.

Cheers PC

cheers PC.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:

Collins you require a shooeters licence to own them.......................even someone whom wants to do paintball or skirmish needs a shooters licence to OWN a paintball gun, I think they maybe able to go and do it though at a paintball center, as the one time I have been for a mates bucks party, there wher heaps of people there and I doubt alll of them would have had shooters licences.

Many thanks for the info

I see on the pics of your steyr you have a "smith & wesson grip" or something like that was it more comfortable for you ??

It's a pachmeyer, for an AR-15. The stock grip is a factory AR grip and I like the feel of the Pachmeyer much better.

Collins do you know wether with the nightforce NXS 12-42x56 scope will we get to 1000 yards with the base thats on the gun..................will this scope have enough elevation to get us to 1000 yards without having to get a base with say 20 moa cant in it like i have on my .300 rum Rem 700 ??

I really don't know. If you find out let ME know!

also what height badger max 50 rings would go with that gun I am geussing with all that clearence we may get away with using the standard .829" height ones.

Again, I really don't know.

We are also thinking of shooting some woodleigh .510 " 600 gr protected points in the steyr there quite short in length compared to an A-Max do you think they would shoot alright for plinking ?? Have you tried some ?? or maybe you could try some in the near future Big Grin

About 3 pages of "out of stock, no backorder" on Midway. The shorter bullets should stabilize better but the BC will hurt long range work, and they were never meant to go 3000 fps, and I think the transition to subsonic would be catastrophic to anything but plinking... my $0.02

Sorry for all the questions I just want to get heaps of information.

Glad to help.

Cheers PC

cheers PC.

Collins

One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
do you know wether with the nightforce NXS 12-42x56 scope will we get to 1000 yards with the base thats on the gun..................will this scope have enough elevation to get us to 1000 yards without having to get a base with say 20 moa cant in it like i have on my .300 rum Rem 700 ??

No. That scope has only 45min total elevation. But, the NXS 5.5-22 with 100 mins of elevation will.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. That scope has only 45min total elevation. But, the NXS 5.5-22 with 100 mins of elevation will.[/QUOTE]

GB,

to what range would 45min of elevation get you roughly ?? and what base do we need for the steyr then to get the NXS 12-42 scope to 1000 yards ??

Is the base on the steyr integral or can it be removed ??

cheers pc.

One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
to what range would 45min of elevation get you roughly ??

Well, that's the point. You would only have 1/2 of that total elevation with a flat base. And, if you were able to order the rifle with a 20 or 30 min rail, you could have trouble shooting at the shorter ranges. Depends on what you will be shooting and how fast. You can figure it here. You could get a set of Ivey Rings. They would take care of your elevation concerns, but those rings are very expensive.
Do you really need 42x?

Massad Ayoob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GB,

Yeah I see what you mean..........we just liked the idea of 42x, one of the other blokes getting a steyr has his heart set on the 42x and had sort of talked me into it.

One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
This is copied from a recent post on another board concerning the HS-50. Sorry, no direct links allowed.

quote:
I have a Steyr HS 50 and love it, It has one of the most efficient brakes on the market, I have a 270 win savage bolt gun that kicks way harder. The fire control group is very similar to a AR 15, you can adjust the trigger down to about 3 pounds but you have to take the whole thing apart. You have to use extra tall rings to be comfortable on the scope, but that common on a lot of fifty rifles. You can move the recoil pad up or down about 1 1/2 inches to adjust the fit of the rifle to your shooting style. the rifle comes in a wooden box that is reusable, it also comes with a cleaning rod ,a pull thru cleaning setup and all the allen wrenches required to disassemble the entire rifle, the cleaning rod unfortunaly is a metric thread, I ran a 8-32 tap thru mine and it will hold standard brushes and jags fine. now for the negative problems, there are no aftermarket parts available that I have found, you have to take the upper barrel assembly that consists of the barrel, lock bushing and scope and base to clean it, you dont have time to do this between rounds unless you are really quick. the barrel and brake thread are metric so you would have a cut the thread that fits the lock bushing to rebarrel it, not a problem if you have a good machinist do it.
The rifle can be very accurate with the right load which I have not found, but a few other members have, at my very first 1000yds shoot I shot a 11" group with untested loads. [A-max's and H50BMG]
At the price you mention I would say that it would be a good buy, all in all the Styer is a very high quailty rifle.

Massad Ayoob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks GB,

We have found a mount, the Night force unimount which as 20moa built into it's rings.............with the 12-42 nghtforce we want this I think will do from 100-1000 yards.

So it can be re-barrelled, thats good.

Now choosing a reticle will be difficult.

We have some brass coming in the next couple of weeks.

I have narrowed to;

mlr
np-r1
np-r2
np-2dd

Thanks for all your help

One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the mannlicher schonour good quality?
the SBS scout?
the GB9?
the AUG?
The SSG69?
hell i havent seen Steyr mess up a gun yet.
even the TMP was kick ass if you could get mags.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GB9? you mean the GB 80?

and don't forget the MA1 pistol or the MPi 69 SMG..

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Steyr GB pistol is a double-action 9 mm Parabellum caliber, large framed semi-automatic pistol. The GB uses a gas-delayed blowback action and has a magazine capacity of 18 rounds. It was designed starting in 1968 as a replacement for older handguns in Austrian military service, and went into general civil production in 1982.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of the first pistols I used, Steyr 1912.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

One of the first pistols I used, Steyr 1912.

was it your issued pistol during the first war?
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Only thing I would like to complain is the smooth grip, much too smooth. like having a bar of soap when having wet muddy hands.
Otherwise, the angle of the grip is near perfect, the grip is slimmer than any Glock or Walther, the height of the slide hence the height of the sights is lower than the competition, all that making it a wonderful IPDA or service pistol that points naturally in quick reaction shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
try an SBS action. as much as i like the ssg i like alot of things about the new action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do, I did try the Scout but I may consider the SBS Tactical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know, story is that the guy who came up w/ the M9 worked for Glock.
CDNN is selling them for $349 w/ 2 high caps right now. i cant belive people guy glocks instead of steyrs.
then again i cant belive anyone buys a (insert name of riflemaker here) instead of a steyr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exact! Wilhelm Bubbits designed the M9 then designed the new UAE pistol, the Caracal.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3811043/m/657104117

Official site:
http://www.caracal.ae/Products.html

Video:
http://www.militarytimes.com/multimedia/video/idexcaracal/

He designed the detachable shoulder stock for the Glock, too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
caracal?
as in...

i'll never see one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well hijacked topic! This is another type of Caracal

http://www.master194.com/photo_avion/caracal/index.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Well hijacked topic! This is another type of Caracal

http://www.master194.com/photo_avion/caracal/index.htm

No thanks Ed. They bring me out in a rash... Big Grin

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
is the mannlicher schonour good quality?
the SBS scout?
the GB9?
the AUG?
The SSG69?
hell i havent seen Steyr mess up a gun yet.
even the TMP was kick ass if you could get mags.

Concur. They do seem to have the habit of turning out good guns.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, Dave!

Internet is wonderful, I found a picture of 61-ZM, the plane I made my first four jumps from

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
C-160 Ed?
I recall spending some fun time at Pau with a bunch of freefallers (from 2REP?) and 2 of those. About 60 jumps over the 2 weeks... Great stuff.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, C160! based at Bricy near Orleans, the ZM 61 indicates it. where I first jumped way back in 1976. those were the days. too bad, I almost jumped from a two tails Nord 2501 Noratlas the day we had a problem with one of the turboprops.
Half the plane went to embark into a 2501 and when we were ready to embark in the second 2501, the technician just closed the bonnet after the adjustment was done.the 2501 were retired right after.
beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean. I was the third-to-last person to jump from a DC3/C-47 in RAAF service.
The Defence parachute championships at Wagga, 1998.
They granted another 5 hours on the 100 hourly, so that we could jump, as the Caribou (DHC4) had died, and the Dak is about as reliable as a Holden ute. Check the oil, kick the tyre, and go fly.
That airframe had taken part in the original Australian Airborne drop at Finchshafen, in New Guinea during WW2, and some 55 years later finally retired.
A sad day.

Back on topic.
Does anyone have a price on the HS-50 in $$$AUD?

Cheers, Dave.