New
Find
Notify
Tools

primers don't go off
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK now we got a new forum I got a question for somebody smarter them me. I'm using a LAR big bore. Shell holder action. I buy cases, bullets, powder etc. in bulk with a couple other guys down at the shoot in knob creek. This is all surplus stuff for reloading. I loaded up about 500 rounds and most wouldn't chamber. Investigation found that the press has a bit of flex in it and I had to screw the sizing die down a bit. Problem fixed, but new one arose. Now the round fit in OK, but about 35% won't go off the first time. The primers are hit well, and most of the time if you hit them the 2nd or even 3rd time it goes off, but some never do. I suspected oil from sizing had gotten in, but pulling a few down, they were all dry. I checked the firing pin depth and spring and it is fine. The only thing I've got left in mind is that I got a bad bunch of new CCI primers. Incidently we tried these round in a mcmillian and got the same results. I've never really run into primers that refused to go off before, but maybe this the first time. anybody got any ideas???? Confused

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi!
You get this problem with CCI N° 35 ? Eeker

Try a fresh batch of primer with a different lot number and see what happens.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what is the bad lot number???

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem with LOT A 24 E.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info - that was the lot # - now I don't feel as stupid

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any problem with lot B 28 G ???

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
What is your primer seating depth, below flush?

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote