New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 bmg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend is thinking of getting a 50 bmg and he asked me what bullets, brass, and powder is available for reloading. The manuals I have do not include that caliber. Can someone help me? Thanks, Chuck.

Posts: 48 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CH-4d, Midway, Wideners, Graf and sons, www.gibrass.com, hi-tech ammo, Pat's reloading, Cheaper Than Dirt, Ammonman are all good places for ammo, components and equipment. Check out www.biggerhammer.net for advice.

Ball, AP, API and tracer bullets are periodically available. Surplus powder works well and is much cheaper than the new stuff. I cast bullets from CBE and NEI molds also.

I use the RCBS press and dies. I hear the Hornady press is good. Silencers for the 50 bmg are very expensive, $3000 or so, unless you make your own.

For load data; surplus ball, AP and API bullets are loaded to 5.45" with up to 235 grains of WC860 powder or 225 grains of 5010 for tracers. 750 grain Amax will take the same charges for a max load. The heavier solid brass boreriders a bit less. CCI primers are the usual used.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Reloading for the .50 is expensive compared to other calibers but still cheaper than buying loaded ammo in the long run. Another good site for info on the .50 is ar15.com - they have a dedicated .50 bmg forum with lots of info.

Posts: 11 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 15 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee's Modern Reloading contains a few loads for the 50BMG

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote