New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a BFG 50A?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been thinking of getting one as they are suppressor ready, threaded the same as my Elite Iron can and of course everyone needs a semi auto 50 BMG Smiler

Who own one or has fired one?

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one ordered, I am expecting a call from my FFL dealer in 2-4 weeks at this point. Mark Serbu has a very "muted" web presence. I am sure he has better things to do than "bandy words" with all the internet experts out there. I am making a leap of faith based on my perception of his "type" of engineer.

He has a reputation as being "arrogant" but that does not bother me, having been called arrogant myself a time or two in the past, I have an idea that he is simply highly competent and very busy.

As soon as I get it in hand, I have a 600 yard range close by, and I am looking at scopes as we speak. I am looking forward to seeing what the serial number is going to be...
As far as the suppressor, got to the Serbu website and cruise around the forums, one of them has picture a 50A with a suppressor mounted, the muzzle break is threaded against a jam nut, and it should be a trivial job to mount a suppressor. Word is Serbu is going to offer a suppressor at some point.

I will post around when I get a little trigger time.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one. Serial Number 15. The thing runs flawless. It's absolutely no problem shoulder firing it which is my prefered method of shooting it....just like a regular deer rifle. I am not sure who decided that the 50BMG could only be fired at long range. WTF is that all about? 99% of the rounds fired by a firearms enthusiast are for "fun"....and it's pretty good fun to shoulder up the Serbu and light it up.

The internet commandos don't like the fact that there are no long range accuracy reports. They think the owners are "hiding" something. Whatever. I could care less how accurate this thing is at long range. I plan to run down a bunch of wild hogs in the vehicle, jump out, drop my beer, shoulder my Serbu, and open up on them. That is what I bought it for.

I did shoot some 100 yard groups to sight it in though. They were about an inch with Barnes X bullets.

Videos below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQjIQA34lPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0HJsg-gPYE

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear, I feel the same way about it except that 100% of my rounds are for fun and that is why I ordered one last week. All I want is flawless operation and 1MOA capability for rocks, stumps, old cars and the occasional hog. I will probably site to 100yards or less. Thinking of putting an EOTech on it. Do you have any experience with the Barrett 82? Wondering which you prefer if you have.

Matthew

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony, your description of assaulting pigs after dropping your beer is priceless.

I guess I will have to wait until I shoot mine for accuracy to find out what it might do.

LT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of friends that have 82A1's. I can't shoulder fire those guns. There is just too much weight out front.

The Barrett's muzzle brake also blows too much crap back in my face. That is exactly why I got rid of my Armalite AR-50. Just too much back blast off the brake.

I am planning on making another barrel for the Serbu.....around 13 inches long plus a permanant brake to get it just past 16" OAL. That should make the rifle even nicer to shoulder fire. I already have the chamber reamer, gauges, and Pac-Nor Super Match barrel blank in stock for the project.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I got one from a guy who had 3. This one is serial number 21 and was NIB. It is the smoothest shooting 50 I have ever used and is just amazing. Sadly it has a few feeding issues that I am sure can be worked out but out of 4 different types of ammo the only ones that fed reliably were the Kynoch surplus junk my Barrett won't feed at all which is kind of strange to me. As far as accuracy, all the rocks I shot at 50 yards are dead and broken. I hope to get some range time next week.

Matthew

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matthewx:
So I got one from a guy who had 3. This one is serial number 21 and was NIB. It is the smoothest shooting 50 I have ever used and is just amazing. Sadly it has a few feeding issues that I am sure can be worked out but out of 4 different types of ammo the only ones that fed reliably were the Kynoch surplus junk my Barrett won't feed at all which is kind of strange to me. As far as accuracy, all the rocks I shot at 50 yards are dead and broken. I hope to get some range time next week.

Matthew

I am still waiting for mine...
minute of rock at 50 yards...not over promising.

feeding issues? Crap.

Does anyone know if Serbu might offer an adjustable gas block? Usually the answer for gas operated weapons and wide ranging ammo specifications.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By minute of rock I should mention I did not even shoot it at paper or adjust the scope. I did not have a lot of time, I was just shooting it cause I wanted to.

I should be shooting it again Friday and hopefully at some paper.

Matthew

one of us
posted Hide Post
shooting rocks at 50 yards is a good way to get hurt. I'd really like to get that serbu semi. I've got the single shot and really like it.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got mine on Tuesday. Shot it at 25 yards for a sight in session with a couple guys from work a few hours ago.
my bore sight rig was a little too short to use with this beast Smiler

6th round got stuck in the chamber and would not extract. I had two 3/8ths wooden dowels on hand. I hammered those things to death, and the case stayed in the chamber. I did not have a brass rod or something more suitable.

I was shooting Federal XM33 American Eagle or some such. The cheapest FMJ factory stuff I could find.
Round 1, good
Round 2, good
round 3, failure to eject
round 4 good
round 5 failure to eject
round 6, tore the rim off the case, and case stuck in chamber.

afterwards, I looked at the spent cases and the extraction marks on the case rim were getting more severe after every shot.

It was also about 95 degrees outside, and I do not know how temperature sensitive the ammo might be?
All rounds were fired 2-5 minutes apart.

I have to say, the gun is a hoot to shoot. recoil is mild, blast is mild, after I get the stuck case out I am going to polish the chamber, and go shoot it some more.

oh yea, the trigger is not great. Fair warning, I am a bit of a trigger freak, but it is heavy, and rough, and needs some work.

What a gun, puts a huge grin on your face! Big Grin

edit to add:
I did a quick search(better late than never) and I have to say I am suspecting that the ammo I was shooting might be a tad HOT, I have found several references on various 50BMG sites, that say that the XM33C stuff is loaded to military velocity specs, and can vary a lot.
When I get the last case out of the chamber, I will clean well, and try different ammo.

I was planning on using my shot up brass as my brass supply to start reloading my own, but now it looks like I have to pull down, or buy new.

one of us
posted Hide Post
have decided the Federal ammo had thick brass in the neck.

I have since fired 60+ FMJ rounds of some ammo from FreedomMunitions.com (check them out, good prices, great service, they will give you credit for spent brass, I have shot 223, 40SW, 50BMG, and it is reasonably accurate, clean, good stuff.

of those 60 rounds, no trouble whatsoever.

200 yards, and I am getting 2-3 MOA with this ammo.

rifle is great, next I will reload some, and see if I can get some better accuracy.

going to sell the Federal ammo to somebody that may have a little bit bigger chamber.