Notify
Tools

J. Stevens New Model Pocket Rifle, No. 40
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Here is what I have:

Manufactured 1896 to 1916. The top of the barrel is marked "J. STEVENS A & T CO / CHICOPEE FALLS MASS. U.S.A." Globe front sight with small blade inside and blade on top, with an adjustable folding leaf rear sight. Nickel finished frame, with the remaining surfaces blue. Fitted with smooth walnut grips. This pocket rifle is complete with a nickel plated wire shoulder stock numbered to the gun. Action, barrel and stock all matching numbers.

BBL: 10 inch part octagon
Stock: Wire
Gauge: 22 LR
Finish: blue/nickel
Grips: walnut
Serial Number: 379XX

Good. The barrel retains 50% blue finish [possibly refinished] and a small area of minor pitting on the right rear of the barrel in front of the frame. Front of barrel appears to have had finish removed. The frame retains 40% original nickel finish with some surface scratches. The grips are good with some scattered minor dings and scratches. The stock is very good, retaining 70% original nickel finish with some fine surface scratches and very small areas of minor flaking.

The description above was copied from an auction and made to fit my gun.

DOES THIS COUNT AS A PISTOL OR A RIFLE? WHAT CAN U TELL ME ON VALUE OR INTEREST.

I USED IT TO HUNT OUR VERSION OF COTTONTAILS...THE BRUSH BUNNY....SIX SHOTS LATER I HAD ONE! I AM 6'8" AND THIS THING IS TINY AND HARD FOR ME TOO SHOOT!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Was this the model called the "Hunters Pet ' ?

I had one some years ago that had a longer , semi-octagonal barrel , 22 rf , and was exceptionally accurate.

Also had one without the wire stock , in 25rf that was a fun wee thing to shoot too.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Not sure...Have seen it as a bicycle rifle and the pocket rifle.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. DOJ might get funny about this one, might be classified as a short-barreled-rifle. It's worth a look at their web site...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14327 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
it is safe due to a number of conditions. Just dont tell them I have an H&K VP70 with buttstock and extended clips....thats what makes them crazy