Find
Notify
Tools

Eye relief on scope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I have a 15 year old Burris 7X pistol scope on my Remington XP (223) and I can't seem to hold it far enough out to get a full field of view. I usually shoot it from sand bags either prone or off the a bench and even at arms length I'm not far enough from it to use the whole scope. I'm 6'2" with long arms so I don't think this thing is made for humans.
Is there anything that can be done by the factory, or a scope shop to get the eye relief shortened?

Posts: 12527 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold, that is real strange. I have 3 of them and have found the exact opposite with mine. I am using them in creedmore IHMSA. In order for them to work with out a struggle I had to use one of Ken Lights reverse mounts, which moves the scope back around 3-5" depending on how you do it. Some of the other guys here could probably give you exact eye relief, but I think it is around 12-14" max. If you want to part with it let me know, I might be interested.

As to your problem are you sure you are not to far away? Let us know, I would be interested in what you find out.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking.. I've never had one too close. All my scopes are less than full field because they're too far away. I just sort of got used to it and don't let it bother me. Too close would be a nice problem. [Smile]

[ 05-18-2003, 05:53: Message edited by: cas ]

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I guess I notice it more because I've started to do alot of prone shooting lately off a mat using a front rest and sand bags where I used to shoot off of a portable bench all the time.
I just set it up in the rest and checked the eye relief with a yardstick and full field eye relief is about 14"-18". But at the close end you have to be real exact with your eye position to use it. Comfortably, I'd say 15-18" is the normal eye relief.

Posts: 12527 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

This problem is not really with the scopes but more to do with the handgun design. Most handgun scopes are very poor choices for a center grip Xp-100. Simply because these optics were designed for a conventional rear grip handgun such as a T/C Contender/Encore or say a Ruger SRH.

Compare the scope placement between a center grip XP and an Encore and you will realize the problem, especially when shooting from a prone or low bench position. Many times they are about right from a full standing position but this is rarely used with these big single shots.

I have found that the newer Burris handgun scopes do pretty well for a center grip XP. Leupolds are very high quality scopes but bad choices for the XP's, as are the T/C Recoilproof scopes. I have heard that Weaver advertises eye reliefs from 4" to +20" for their handgun scopes, but I have not tried these optics because I am happy with my Burris scopes.

The ones I use the most are the 2-7's as they are suited very well to the XP-100 scope positions from 2 power to 7 power they are very consistent.

Good Shooting!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fiftydriver is very well versed in this info. as i've seen his postings many times here. I have a 3-12X Burris on a 6.5-284 XP (center grip HS Precision) that is a bear to use from prone at 12X. I'm a whopping 5'4" tall which probably doesn't help much, but this thread has caused be to rethink my prone-type position to experiment with a modified creedmore in the field where I place the pistol between the knees and hold steady with both hands. I've used this position before and done quite well with it on big game, but i've never tried it in the field hunting varmints.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote