Find
Notify
Tools

.250 Savage Imp'd
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 1buba
posted
Yup. Picked mine up at The Hairy Tick Motel this weekend. Had a great time. Mike is doing some sand blasted stainless barrels that are BEAUTIFUL. They look like a battleship gray. Something about 'em just sings for me. I think I may need one of those in .22 Hornet... :-)

Anyway - met a gentleman named Pat Morgan. Truly an unbelievable man. Pat was stricken with polio in the early 60's if I remember correctly. Runs his own machine shop - and does it with a smile. Heck of a guy. Also met Slim - an ex-SEAL and character extraordinaire. Then there are Mike and Dee - what wonderful folks.

Anyway, any of y'all have loading data for the .250 Imp'd???

thanks,
s

Posts: 329 | Location: North Pole, AK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1buba,
Have a 250 Imp that will be ready to fireform in the next couple of days. One of the members where I preach is also a gunsmith and he also has a 250 imp. I will find some info for you this week and pass it on. I would be glad to hear for anyone too on this cartridge. Mine is a 15 1/2 barreled XP. What a surprise, right? This is being built for my 9 year old to use when he begins to hunt deer. In fact, plans are to bring him with me to the clinic. 9 year old shooting at 500 meters with a specialty handgun? Now that would be a picture!
Congrats on your new barrel!
Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1buba:
I think I may need one of those in .22 Hornet... :-)

Steve by any chance is this a little inside information if so how can I get one? [Wink]

Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 1buba
posted Hide Post
Ernie -
Sounds to cool! I wish my dad had been able to introduce me to hunting like that! BTW, where you a Pastor at? My dad was an assistant in a couple of different Assemblies of God churches while I was growing up. We're still real involved.

Jules -
Sorry, no inside info, but i do know that Mike is in the process of making a run of 50-60 barrels. I don't know what the bores are, shucks, I ain't even sure he has any SS ones in there. I tell you though, that gray is COOL!!! BTW, how you been? I've been swamped - not able to really keep up with the guys...
steve

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1buba:
Jules -
Sorry, no inside info, but i do know that Mike is in the process of making a run of 50-60 barrels. I don't know what the bores are, shucks, I ain't even sure he has any SS ones in there.
steve

[Eek!] [Eek!] Jules ????? You must be tired ! We don't look anything a like I'm much better looking! [Big Grin] [Wink] But Jules might be able to help you with load data on the 250 Improved.
Rich Jake

[ 05-19-2003, 11:49: Message edited by: Rich Jake ]

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 1buba
posted Hide Post
Rich - yup, I was tired. Sorry about that, but honestly, I'm not sure if I should be appologizing to you or Jules. :-)

steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
1buba,
I'm the pulpit minister for the Eastwood Church of Christ in Hutchinson, KS. My dad started me shooting/hunting at an early age, but was never involved with big game or handguns of any kind. Of course I have since corrupted him and he shoots a number of handguns now too.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1buba,
Whatever you do, DO NOT mix XP's bolt gun data with your Contender. Stick with the approx. 45,000 pound loads that are standard for .250 Savage. He can run full 55,000 psi loads in his bolt gun, but these loads will probably ruin your frame and possibly stretch out the barrel lug.

I entered the .250 Savage Imp. data Blaine Eddy worked up back in the late 80s, and I thought I had sent it to you or posted it to the website myself, but don't think it made it. I will have to do some digging to see if I can turn it up. Should have, could have given you a paper copy or shown you the targets and loads Jules forwarded to me some time back. If they had been rattlesnakes, they'd have bitten you when you entered the sanctum sanctorum, aka my cluttered "office."

Blaine's data is quite extensive and shows group sizes as well.

Ref. Pat Morgan, I think Pat said it was Christmas Eve, 1954, that polio got him. Anyone feeling sorry for himself or feeling down and out needs a dose of ole Pat. He is, to quote the person who referred me to him, simply "an inspiration." Machine work and guns have kept his brilliant mind active and been a driving force that have given him a zest for life, one forced breath at a time from his breathing machine while laying physically helpless in a wheel chair/bed all these long years with full feeling in his helpless body. He is simply a joy to work with and a real privilege to know.

He cannot even lift an arm, let alone shoot a gun, yet he has a number of guns "he" has built over the years..... using someone else's hands, of course. BTW, it was his wife, Billy, who did the barrel making, chamber work, and barrel installations. That little lady you met knows more about headspace than 3/4s of the guys who shoot and reload.

Ref. Slim:
Before a neck/nerve injury at age 54 bumped him off the Special Forces team he was on as a sniper, about 6 years ago, he was still jumping. In no uncertain terms he let us know what he thought about us fools shooting handguns at long range......BUT..... if and when he ever does it, maybe we can get him converted yet. He DEFINITELY knows long range shooting and would be a real asset teaching it IF we can convince him that handguns are real guns, too. I have my job cut out for me!

It was a great weekend, and with everything going on, still managed to get all the barrels assembled and some shipped on Saturday and some finishing details worked out on Encore hammer extensions at Pat's. Plus 1babba and Slim got to see first hand just how far off machined scope rings are, at least the Redfield rings I line reamed on one barrel and on 1bubba's.

1bubba, email to you is getting bounced.... got another address I can email you at?

Life is good, made better by good friends with common interests. Just don't know about this terrible "gun culture" plaguing this country. Is there really any other secular culture worth living? [Big Grin] You sure do find some terrific people in "the gun culture." Life IS good.

All the best.....

Mike, THE Hairy Tick

[ 05-19-2003, 21:40: Message edited by: Mike Bellm ]

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Steve
No apology necessary for me. Good luck with the 250 Improved I hope you like it as much as I like my 257 Roberts AI in the encore. I know Jules has some data around. We had chatted & compared some basic loads as far as speed & bullet weights. [Smile]
Rich Jake

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, Like Mike said, forget about the data for a bolt gun. You won't even get close to that without damage to your contender or you.
Best to start with about 2grs. less then max loads for the 250-3000 Savage. That's what I did.
You may be able to go a grain or 2 over max but don't push it. These are loads I worked up so far
in my 20" Douglas barrel that Mike chambered.

87gr Hornady, 37grs RL15, Fed 210 primer,
.270 @ 100 at 2920FPS.
85gr Nosler, 37grs H4895, RP 9 1/2 primer,
.525 @ 100 at 3015FPS
85gr Nosler, 42grs H414, RP 9 1/2 primer,
.620 @ 100 at 2956FPS
85gr Nosler, 38grs RL15, RP 9 1/2 primer,
don't have the group size but was 2948FPS
87gr Sierra, 43grs IMR4831, RP 9 1/2 primer,
1.092 @ 100 with 4 of them at .500 at 2813FPS.

I had some loads with the 100gr bullets but am still working with them.
If yours shoots anything like mine your gonna love it. Mike did a great job on this barrel.
Then again......he did a great job on all my barrels [Wink] Thanks Mike!

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1buba,
I have a copy of Blaine's 250 Savage Improved work sent to me by Mike. If you're interested, le me know and I can "snail mail" you a copy. [Big Grin] Gary T.

Mike,
If you need a copy, just say the word and I'll send you one, as well. [Smile] Gary T.

[ 05-20-2003, 03:09: Message edited by: Gary T ]

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 1buba
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - I HOPE I would have known better than to use the bolt data, but it never hurts to be reminded.

Mike, no - don't have any other email right now. Give me a bit to try it out. I'll come up with something. Can you send the bounce back as an attachment to my mom's account? I'll send that to you though the store.

Jules,
THANKS! Appreciate the data. I'll be starting a bit lower, but it's nice to know about where you ended up.

steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
humm ??? somewhere in all of this ???
i was told to have a chat with dispatch,,,i did,,im keeping my fingers crossed,,
also..
1buba said for me [us] to eat our hearts out...
i did..its kinda ''green''
dang.some guys have all the fun !!!
hi!!! mike !!! dee !!!
oh,,and you to 1buba......

lol !!!!!
buckweet [Razz]

Posts: 302 | Location: clinton mo. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote