New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 308 BELLM is here!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
UPS made me a very happy man today. I just received my Barrel from Mike and it is GREAT!

All I can say about the Crown and Chamber work is WOW! Why don't all my barrels look like this?
The 6 screw Weaver mount is also great.

Mike, You are right I love the Crown. Until I saw your chamber I did not realize just how far off some of mine are!

Thanks for the great work and the education on chambers.

Gentlemen belive me seeing is believing.
Now I'm really excited about that 222 Mag Improved Carbine that is in the works. The wait will be much harder knowing how good it is going to look but the wait will be worth it.

Now to form cases and work up loads. Todays heat index in Austin, TX was 110. Humidity with the flooding we are having was about 102%. Not the best time to be outside working up loads but since I work outdoors everyday I'll just spray on more bug juice and go to the range this week.
On second thought with Mansfield Dam having 5 gates open and 25,000 CFS of water coming out it may effect my shooting range thats in the flood plain.

Posts: 140 | Location: MEMPHIS, TN USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ken-

I hope you get to enjoy that new toy soon.

You are right about the heat & humidity. Yesterday was awful, and it will only get worse. I've grown up in this area, and after 37 1/2 years, I still can't get used to the summers.

While shooting groups with another caliber yesterday, I had along my 6.5x50R-Bellm (among others) to kill the time while the other barrel cooled. I didn't do any serious shooting with it, but I did ventilate 16 oz. plastic bottles at 200 yards. The Speer 120 at 2455 fps flew true and went 3-for-3. Now if deer season -- and some cooler weather -- would hurry up and get here...

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KENTX:
[QB]UPS made me a very happy man today. I just received my Barrel from Mike and it is GREAT!

All I can say about the Crown and Chamber work is WOW! Why don't all my barrels look like this?
The 6 screw Weaver mount is also great.

Mike, You are right I love the Crown. Until I saw your chamber I did not realize just how far off some of mine are!

Thanks for the great work and the education on chambers.

Gentlemen belive me seeing is believing.
Now I'm really excited about that 222 Mag Improved Carbine that is in the works. The wait will be much harder knowing how good it is going to look but the wait will be worth it.

Ken,
I encourage everyone to compare especially the chamber throats and crowns I cut to the other barrels they have. I examine all of my work under magnification and invite you to give it the same scrutiny I do.

It still amazes me how some shops charge "custom" prices for their work, and you still cannot see the clear sharp outline of the lands and grooves at the crown. Gentlemen, this is what you are supposed to be getting for the $$ when you go custom, and I suggest you hold other shops accountable to deliver the quality you are paying for.

Have fun, and by all means keep your head above water. Should be plenty moving targets to shoot at as they float by.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ken,
Boy Howdy, isn't that some crown job that Mike does? If yours is half as good as mine it is superb!! [Big Grin] Of all my dozen or so barrels there is not one that even looks close! [Eek!]
And boy does it shoot! I'll be posting some results before long!!

Bob

Posts: 162 | Location: Yachats, Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is true you can see the lands and grooves very clearly on Mike's Crowns! This is the first time I have ever been able to see these like this.
I can't wait to load rounds and go shoot it.

Tonight at our 4H Shooting Sports club meeting I was showing the 308 Bellm to the other Dad's and we were talking about how many crooked chambers and loose hinge pins/ barrel wiggle we have found.
I gave one of my new oversize pins to one of our young shooters to use at State Competition next week. He shot 48 out of 60 as a Junior shooter, at the NRA Raton, NM Hunter Pistol Match. This could be the item he needs to pick up the other 12!

Posts: 140 | Location: MEMPHIS, TN USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote