Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for 45/70 Contender
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted
Just picked up a 45/70 barrel and looking for scope and rings/bases suggestions. It has a muzzle brake and is 12"

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I have a Redfield 3 ring base and ring set on mine. I started off with a TC 3x fixed on it, but moved that to my 375 JDJ barrel when I got that barrel. That old TC scope is hell for stout, just wish it had more magnification.

I now have a (gulp) Bushnell 2-6x trophy on my 45-70 barrel. I'm only shooting real blackpowder from my 45-70 barrel now, so the recoil is much less than with full power smokeless loads. I'm still wondering how well that Bushnell will hold up. I wouldn't be surprised if it broke, but so far, so good. I don't think it would hold up to many full power smokeless loads.

I did break another 2-6x trophy on my 35 Rem barrel with another 3 ring Redfield mount.

I would look at the TC 2-7x scope. They're supposed to be "recoil proof" (yeah, right - I know - nothing's "recoil proof"). My buddy's got one on one of his barrels (can't remember which one). I've shot his and liked the scope. Supposed to be as tough as the old 3x I have. Good eye relief and clarity.

I've also heard good things from some shooting buddies about the Burris handgun scopes, but I don't have one, and haven't shot through one.

I've never really liked the Leupold pistol scopes myself, poor eye relief, and you have to have your eye in EXACTLY the right spot to be able to see through it. OK for bench shooting, I guess.

I have a TC, a Weaver, and 2 of the Bushnell's (one's broken). I do like my Weaver 2-8x. Better clarity than the Bushnell, but I'm not sure how the Weaver would stand up to the 45-70 (better, maybe?).

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold fixed power 2x or 4x

You would have better eye relief on either of them than the Bushnell or Burris variables. Leupold's variable is first rate on quality, but eye relief is definitely finicky at high end of magnification

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Luepold 2x in the TSOB rings that came on the gun. No complaints.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1016 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 2X in a 3-ring mount on an Encore 45-70 Custom Shop barrel. Have other Leupold and TC variables that have never given a problem though they are not on as heavy kicking guns. Have a Bushnell 2-6X on a 44mag Bisley Hunter with no problems and a Tasco Pro 2X that has been on an original Blackhawk Hunter since the early 90's without even a shift in poi....

Mat

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you must scope it,contact SSK...follow thier recommendation. I went through that phase with my .375 JDJ. Had no issues with the scope and mount they provided. After shooting it for a while however....I decided I just don't like scoped handguns. My eyes have aged to the point that iron sights don't provide the precision they used to. MY solution is to put a decent Red Dot sight on it. That has been working out GREAT.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 458 Govt. or 45-70AI pistol barrel on a Encore. I use a 2.5x8 Leupold EER scope and it is mounted on a Stratton base and Leupold rings (2). I have had this set-up for several years and fired hundreds of shots without issue.

David

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I'de recommend something by T/C or Leupold since if you break it they'll at least replace it. My handguns have broken several scopes so I know. Bushnell didn't replace or fix their scope which supposedly has a "lifetime" warranty.

My favorite handgun scope is Leupolds VX-3 2.5-8X EER scope.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote