New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 Max throats
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, I have just received a custom 357 max barrel for the contender, workmanship is superb, but the throat is much shorter than I expected. I think its around 0.020". Im loading 180 grain remington bullets, and the crimp groove is barely visible when the bullets stop sticking in the rifling. Im thinking I may gain enough case capacity by having the throat cut at 0.250" or so to make the postage worthwhile.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this?

Thanks

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you could indeed benefit from having the throat extended.

Whoever chambered it for you can lengthen the throat. Did you originally specify how you wanted it throated or what bullet(s) you wanted it throated for?

It's actually a very simple process, and if you have access to the proper reamer and necessary tools, you could possibly do this yourself.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bobby, no I never did specify the length of the throat. Im sure it wont be a problem to get the company to modify the barrel throat.

My Remington 180s have a bearing length of about .440", 180 Hornady XTPs appear at least that long, though I cant find any to buy. It seems like .200" would be adequate. Is there any advantage to having the throat longer than that? The existing short throat is beautifully cut at bore diameter, no ridges.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If you want to leave the throat as-is, there is another option: trim the brass back a bit to allow you a more uniform crimp into the cannelure. The slightly shorter brass won't hurt a thing.

On the other hand, if the throat was well-done the first time, the quality will probably be just as good when they lengthen it.

Personally, I'd have it lengthened. You won't gain enough to make case capacity/potential velocity a deciding factor, but you will reduce pressures somewhat since you noted the bullets are already engaging the rifling when crimped into the top portion of the cannelure.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to look at this site on 357 Max throats.http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=120

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
FA-The throat in question is on a custom barrel. The problematic TC throats -- or lack thereof -- is another issue entirely. On factory barrels, in many instances you'll encounter an abrupt beginning to the rifling and no true throat or leade to speak of.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ