Find
Notify
Tools

338 Fed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted
Anyone use or know about the 338 Federal in 15" encore barrels??

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monty,

I have a 338 JDJ No. 2, which is out of a 14 inch barrel on a Contender frame that is based on the 444 Marlin case, necked down to 338. It is capable of doing a little over 2,500 fps with the 180s, and between 22 and 2,300 fps with the 225s after firefroming. 200s will do 2,300 fps +, and the 250s will do 2,000 to 2100 +. Reloader 15 and Varget are two of the best powders to use in the 338JDJ #2.

The 338 Federal actually uses smaller powder charges than the 338 JDJ # 2 does, but it runs at higher pressures than the Contender frame is capable of handling, so the 338 Federal will get more velocity out of an Encore frame and a 15 inch barrel than the 338 JDJ # 2 gets out of its Contender frame and its 14" barrel.

Another cartridge you might consider is the new 338 Ruger Compact Magnum, which, unlike the WSMs, is compatible with the Encore and Ruger No 1 actions. The 338 RCM gets better than 338 WM ballistics out of a 20" barrel than the 338 WM would get in that same length barrel. It does that by employing special loading techniques and powders that aren't available to reloaders at present, but it will produce similar velocities to the standard 338 WM in similar barrel lengths with powders and loading practices that we all can use. If you don't reload, the factory shells would have the advantage in a 15" barrel but also have considerably more muzzle blast and recoil than the 338 Federal produces. The 338 RCM would produce 338-06 rifle velocities out of a 15" pistol length barrel with factory and hand loads...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I had looked at the 338 JDJ #2 years ago when I had my Contender but went with the 375 JDJ. Still wish I had done the 338.

I reload and that isn’t an issue. I even have several nonstandard/wildcat cartridges. Not necessarily looking for the absolute highest velocity, just the ability to whack an elk out to 150 to 200 yds max.

Still waiting to see what happens with the 338 RCM. It looks like Ruger has abandon the 480 Ruger and I was looking for a cartridge that I could make easily if the original source dried up, 308 Win to 338 Fed is a lot easier and far more stable (ability to gather components) than 375 Ruger to 338 RCM.

I am in no hurry. Time will tell. Thanks for all of the information, I really appreciate it.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308 brass will be around longer than most of us will, so the 338 federal ought to be made to order for your purposes. I would think it would take elk handily out to 300 yards or a little more...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone here actually tried the 338 Federal yet?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Order one and have it cut for rimmed brass, use one of the appropriate rimmed brasses to form and report back all the critters it easily slayed.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi snowwolfe,
i never used the 338 federal in a pistol but i have had a ruger #1 in that cartridge for a couple years. killed some deer and a few hogs. they are all dead, only one shot each. doesn't prove much though.
thanks,
max

Posts: 977 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote