New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use AA 2460 in 6mm TCU?
 Login/Join

<slancey>
posted
I have a 1-14" twist Krieger barrel on my Sako L46.

I've shot H335 and RL-7 with the 55-58 grain bullets with pretty good accuracy and velocity, but I know this gun has more potential.

I'm looking to step up to 65-70 grain bullets.

Does anyone have experience with AA 2460 in these weights? I use the gun for prairie dogs.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Particularly when you get to the 70-80 grain bullets, H335 really shines and has been, by far, the best powder for me in the 6mm-.223 (6x45), 6 TCU and the other wildcats based on the .223 case.

I've only used 2 batches of 2460, but there was a significant shift in burning rate between the two. In the first batch, the velocities with 80 grain bullets & 2460 was very close to those I achieved using H335, but the second lot peaked pressures long before top potential velocities were reached. My experience with it has been minimal, but I have used H335 for so many years and with such good results that the old adage of "don't fix it if it aint broke" tends to apply here.

Sorry I could not be of more help...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
Actually, that does help.
I've used H335 in my .222 Rem. Mag. for years and it's the best by far.
I don't think I've done enough load testing with H335 and the lighter bullets to make a fair assessment.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If H335 doesn't meet your expectations with the lighter slugs, there's always H322

Please let us know how your load development goes...

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
This may or may not help with a powder choice but around Thanksgiving of 2006 I received a new 14" 6mmTCU Contender barrel from Fox Ridge and Bobby recomended H335 but having none locally I went with what I had on hand.

Substituting Varget for IMR4064 data, 80gr Sierra SSP's, Rem 71/2 BR primers and Winch. .223 brass I worked up a load that has five rounds touching and coverable with a dime at 100yds....the load is 28.6grs of Varget.

I've ratholed several boxes but as far as you know Bobby has Sierra ever sold their cache of discontinued 80gr SSP's to a retailer ?

Ike

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last 6mm T/CU I had was a 1 in 12" Twist Douglas Blank made into a 15" Contender Barrel buy OTT. I used both 55gr. & 80gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips, both loaded with Hodgdon's Benchmark. With the 55's I was getting 3045 FPS and with the 80's I was getting 2703 FPS with Benchmark. Accuracy was quite good with both.

Larry

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ike-

The last I heard, Sierra still had them. I tried to buy the entire lot from them a good while back, but they would only do so at MSRP.

I've stashed away a few boxes myself for rainy days and occasional pick up one here and there in a trade. But if Sierra would have parted with the lot of bullets at a decent price, I would have offered 'em here at cost. I even tried to acquire them through our business, but they balked at that as well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Larry-

I don't shoot the lghter bullets a bunch, but BenchMark sure seems to like the 55 and 70 grain BTs in a 15" 6x45. The Benchark-BT combo has turned in some very impressive groups.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I never tried H-335 & Benchmark in the same 6mm T/CU Barrels. I used H-335 in the VVCG's 6mm T/CU Barrel & Benchmark in the OTT 6mm T/CU Barrel. Both shot quite well.

I like the little 55's for dispatching small varmints, and have used them on Coyotes also with great results.

Larry

<slancey>
posted
You guys must be getting huge muzzle flash out of those short barrels using H335. I see plenty of flash, even with a 24" barrel.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The muzzle blast/flash has never bothered me, but the accuracy and consistency of the H-335 loads has more than impressed me.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

<slancey>
posted
Well, I finally made it to the range with my 6mm TCU.
Using 28.7 grains of H335, I was getting 3299 fps with the Hornady 58gr V-Max and 3281 fps with the 55gr Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip. Both grouped well, .714" and .513" for 5 shots, but the extreme spread in velocity was really high. 81 fps for the Hornady and 103 fps for the Combined Tech.
Is that normal for you SS pistol shooters? I'm using Winchester brass and Fed. 205 primers.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Those readings do not correlate to the type of accuracy you are getting. I'd suspect some irregularities with your chronograph.

While some loads do defy logic and group well despite high extreme spreads, that is the exception and not the rule. But variances in lighting, among other things, can give you some weird chrony readings -- and that is what I would suspect in this case.

The spreads in my loads are generally quite small, and in calibers such as the 6mm-.223 and 6 TCU, seldom do they exceed 15-18 fps.

However, if your readings are indeed accurate and you continue to get the type of accuracy you did, I wouldn't worry too much about it... Big Grin

Just for grins, though, sometimes a change in primers will do the trick. I use Rem 7 1/2s almost exclusively in wildcats based on the .223 case along with those in the BR family.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
While H335 is blasty, ditto to what Bobby mentioned on accuracy with it. A few of the crowd I shoot with complain about H335. Funny part is they use a brake and think nothing of it. I don't put load data where it can be seen openly much any more, unless I want it to be seen,lol. Then I take a grease pencil and write on the box H335 in big bold letters, even if is not.
Your chrono readings may be suffering the effects of the blast. I move mine out about 20+ feet away from the muzzle on SP's a lot of the time.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I thought about chronograph error. But mine is the Oehler 35P, which has 3 screens, the extra one to verify the reading on the first one. If the difference between the two is too large, I get a message. I didn't get that message last time during the session. However, my screens are probably only about 10-12 feet from the muzzle. Is that a big issue?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Do try what Jeff recommended. I think 10-12 feet is far too close and will cause the muzzle blast to give you false readings, even with a good chrony.

I usually set up at 15 feet from the end of the muzzle and sometimes even a bit more.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, H335 shot really well in my 6 TCU, great powder but burns kinda dirty. I found a great replacement for it, Ramshot TAC shoots just as well and is MUCH cleaner. One thing is it does seems to prefer CCI 450 Primers, at least in mine they were much more accurate than 205's or BR4's.
Loads are very similar between 335 and TAC. I usually find the sweet spot between the 2 is within 1/2 a grain.

Here is a velocity ladder comparison between the 2 in my 16" bullberry.

70 gr nosler BT H335 TAC
28.0 gr 2883 2908
29.0 gr 3000 2995
30.0 3041 3077

with the 70 gr Ballistic Tip I found a sweet spot with 28.5 grains of TAC and with 335 I found the sweet spot at 29.0.

3-7-77

<slancey>
posted
How far off the lands are you loading? I did have good luck with H335 once I found the right seating depth.
By the way, is TAC a ball powder or cylindrical?

One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
slancey,

sorry about the slow reply, being hunting season I've been a little distracted.

I found a sweet spot with my bullberry barrel just of the lands about .05".

TAC is a ball powder, best way to describe it is H335 that is cleaner, with most bullets I have found the sweet spot with either powder to be within 1/2 a grain.

3-7-77

<slancey>
posted
Last weekend at the range my 6mm TCU shot 5 groups that averaged .670" for 5 shots each. Each group was shot using a different seating depth with H335 under the 58 gr. V-Max. The best depth was .011" off the lands, and the group was in the .45" range. It was tough to measure it accurately, as the target was so rain soaked and the holes were not as clean as they are on a dry day.
Thanks for the recommendation of H335. I guess I'll use it for the 6 TCU as I do with my .222 Rem. Mag.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Those are the kind of results I have come to expect from H335.

NICE SHOOTING, by the way!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

<slancey>
posted
Thanks, but remember, I'm shooting a Sako L46 with a 24" heavy barrel made by Krieger and installed by Mark Penrod. It's a little easier to shoot smaller groups when you start with the right equipment. I really give the single shot pistol shooters here a lot of credit.
But now I have the load and I'm glad I didn't give up on H335.