New
Find
Notify
Tools

Think I,m gettin the Encore itch...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So the encore pistol has been one of those crazy ideas that just won,t go away. Decided to get a little hot shot .22 to get the grandkids started, which got me lookin at the encores again. I,ve been looking at Gary Reeder cartridges a lot, find myself strangely drawn to the .257 Raptor. The 7mm GNR also has a lot of appeal..
Guessing some of you here may have had some experience with these rounds,and was hoping to get some feedback on either or both of them.
Pros and cons.. Yea or nay..
Suspect the most probable first round wound be the .257 Raptor, if for no other reason than what should be fairly light recoil, making it an easier sell to Ma Bear. Little bitty black tail deer on the menu.
And I needs me a quarter bore...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both of the above mentioned cartridges and they are outstanding.

I have been shooting the 7mm GNR for 8 years. I shoot a 130 grain Speer at 2550 fps. out of my 14" Contender barrel. It is like an Ackley Improved version of the 7-30 Waters. Fireforming is as easy as shooting 7-30 Waters factory ammo. Accuracy is excellent.

The 7mm GNR does excellent on deer size game.

The 257 Raptor is quickly becoming my favorite cartridge in the Contender platform. The 257 Raptor will shoot 85 grain bullets at 2665 fps. and 100 grain bullets at 2575 fps. This 5 shot group in the center was shot at 100 yards with the 87 grain Hornady and measures .263"

This 3 shot group was shot at 200 yards with the 100 grain Sierra SP and measures a little over 1".

Here is a nice Sika deer I took with the 257 Raptor at 90 yards.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, appreciate the reply! That .257 keeps gettin better lookin... What would be your powder of choice for the .257? Same powder for the 87 or the 100 grain?

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Go for it Muttly, it is a little heavier than the Tender but you can shoot anything the Tender can plus a lot more.

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use AA2230 for both the 87 and 100 grain bullets. H322 worked good as well.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Not the Reeder line, but if you go Encore the 7-08 will provide a nice performer. Custom barrel can be had with rim cut out and you could use 307 brass to get the rim, 7-30 Waters Improved will perform also, with less powder. . .

Use the 307 brass and load 308 loads is a possibility

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I,m gonna have to see about gettin a frame, seem to be leanin in the direction of the quarter bore. Then I get snoopin around on Gunbroker, start feelin like a kid in a candy shop. Think the only encore I tried had a T/C scope on it ( mighta been a Nikon?..), I like the Leupolds for a rifle, what do you guys like for a scope on an encore pistol? What power range? Maybe chocolate or vanilla questions, but I,m pretty much a greenhorn on this..
And thank you for the replies posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Encore's & custom XP's..........actually use a rifle scope on the XP's & prefer a mil or just plain dot reticle. r in w.

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote