Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm TCU for Varmints
 Login/Join

posted
I'm getting back into Contenders after several years absence and now I remember why I liked them so well. I've been picking up a few barrels and on the suggestion of Clerkofkirk I now have a 14" 7 TCU barrel and need a good load for it.

I will be shooting at groundhogs out to maybe 200 yards and would like something light, that shoots flat, without much chance for ricochet. I like hollow points but is there a V-max that will work well?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I will be able to visit a good gun shop next weekend that will have everything.

Posts: 4 | Location: Meadowview, Va | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using 100gr sierra HP's over 31.5gr of win 748 in a 24" Contender carbine that busts clay pigions at 200yrds all day long.

Good Luck

Posts: 59 | Location: Deadwood, S.D., USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good day
Here's the load that works for me.
28grs IMR 3031
120 gr Hornady Spire Point
Winchester Small Rifle primer
 -
This group is special for me as I have never duplicated it.
Using my bi-pod I'm usualy about 1.5 to 2.0" at 100 yds
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
Great choice in guns, I like the 120's in my 7-tcu. I like to hunt deer and such with the old hornady single shot bullet, or a second is the nosler bt. But for accurate and a more fragable bullet, try the hornady 120gr HP #2815. For me it shoots will and it will really tear things up much more so than the other 120's above. 26.5gr of H-322 is the powder charge for all of the bullets mentioned.