Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 Ackley Hornet
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have any actual experience with Lil Gun in a 17 Ackley Hornet? I've done very well with other powder but wanted to try some Lil Gun in my Bullberry 14" Contender in 17 Ackley Hornet.

Sure would appreciate hearing from anyone who has one and has used Lil Gun for it - what is a safe starting load?

Thanks in advance. . .

Javelina

Posts: 20 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 15 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is pretty old, so I am sure you have worked this out by now.

But in case you have not.

9.4-10g is what is listed on Hogden's web page.

I have just worked through these ranges in my Cooper 17AH. The 10g load with a 20g Vmax is excellent in my rifle. Also talking with a guy at Cooper firearms he said that Lilgun is an excellent choice.

I am doing about .50" groups very easily with this load and 205m primers. I am now starting to work with primers, and seating depth

Posts: 13 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have been using Hodgdon's load a lot. Hornady 20 gr V-Max, Win Brass, Rem 7-1/2 Lil' Gun 9.4gr start load

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
AKmik,

Quite a few years ago, I used the handle "Javelina" but now use "Sunset." Thanks for the reply though.

I found that my Bullberry 17 AH pistol barrel has an extremely tight chamber and any posted loading data is, at a minimum, well over 1.2 grains too hot for my barrel. I have achieved good results with 20 grain bullets and H4198, Lil Gun and Blue Dot with velocities in the 2800-2900 range with reasonable pressures. Now I'm working with some additional powders to see if any of them which are not normally used with the 17 AH will be able to give good results safely. I have hunted extensively with my 17 AH pistol with excellent results on smaller game like rabbits, crows, etc., and I even killed a Javelina with it at a lasered 185 yards. I find that the 17 AH is really too light for Javelina and will stick to smaller game at ranges at probably less than 150 yards or so. With a 14" barrel, I have to have a very steady rest to shoot well at longer distances. I'll try to post a picture of my gun here if I can.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Again, thanks for the reply and good shooting to you.

Sunset

posted Hide Post
Lil gun has been the powder of choice for my 20" Bullberry 17AH carbine. also intend to try it in my 14" pistol tube, but deer season got me sidetracked. the pistol tube is also a bullberry, so have hopes they will both have the same tastes to simplify things.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Lil gun in my 17 PeeWee [carbine] in an old Inland KI made 25 years ago as well as my 17 Hornet [CZ 527] and my 221 Fireball. Works wonders with all the above in terms of accuracy, case life and velocity. Great powder.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote