New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP-100 Scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an XP-100 in 221 FB and want to scope it. What recommendation do you have on scopes for this pistol/caliber, also bases/rings?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I don't have an XP, but I use Contenders and Encores and have had good experiences with both Burris and Bushnell. For fixed shooting (bench), I think the Bushnell is nice becuase of the fixed eye relief. That comes at the cost of FOV though, which makes the Burris, at least to me, a little nice for hunting. I like the Ballistic Plex too. I don't have any experience with other pistol scopes.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How far do you think you will be shooting?
I have owned an XP-100 in 221 for quite awhile, it gets used on woodchucks and fun target shooting. I started out with a Nikon 3X9 and have put several different scopes on it as that gun gave me the single shot hand gun disease. At one time I had a 10X burris on it which makes sense as when there is a varible power scope on it the scope stays at full power.
The gun currently has a 2X8 leupold on it... set at 8 power.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How far do you think you will be shooting?

I'm not sure maybe as far as 150 yards max., how far do you shoot yours? You seem to like the high power scope setting or a fixed 10X. That sounds like alot of magnification for a pistol. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was thinking like a 2X6. I do like high power on my rifles these days, like 20x. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All depends on what you want to use it for.
2-6 should be good. I have also used 3-12's as well.
Now, I primarily use riflescopes.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redfield JR windage adjustable 1 piece bases will not fit an Xp-100 single shot receiver without lengthening the front receiver ring radius.

Redfield JR 1 piece base/Redfield ring spacing is 1/8" to wide to mount a Leupold 4X EER scope.

Leupold dual dovetail 1 piece XP/700 S/A bases w/ Leupold rings work well in .221 FireBall to 350 Rem Mag chamberings.

Ken Farrell manufactures picatinny/weaver type scope bridges if you opt for a tapered base.

I have Leupold 2.5-8X EER scopes on all of my XP-100/XP-100R's for their eye relief compared to other scope manufacturer's claims.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put ended-up putting a B-Square 1-piece Interlock weaver style scope base on, cut the back-end off at the rearmost cross bolt slot as it is too long. Then I mounted a weaver classic 2.5 - 8 X 28mm pistol scope in weaver rings on my XP-100 221FB. It shot great on the sighting in process. Shot a 3/4" group at 100 yards with Nosler 55 gr. CTBS over 17.1 grs. of H4198 & a Rem 6.5 primer from a bench rest.

I have to say that I found it very difficult to get on target with a 8 power pistol scope. Getting your eye squarly behind the scope at maybe 18" away is very hard to do, even from a bench rest. It must be imposible in the field. I have to ask you pistol shooters that like high power scopes how you manage this? Is there a trick to shoot a pistol using a high powered scope? Is this just part of the game of shooting a long range pistol with a high powered scope? Any advise here, to make target acquisition easier?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Best "optics" I've ever used on an XP(7BR's and 223's) are Bushnell Holosights! Both eyes open, no eye relief problem, 1MOA dot and many dead groundhogs out to 300+ yards as well as whitetails in woods and open fields. Extremely fast target aquisition as compared to handgun scopes. Try one! You'll like it! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyB:
I put ended-up putting a B-Square 1-piece Interlock weaver style scope base on, cut the back-end off at the rearmost cross bolt slot as it is too long. Then I mounted a weaver classic 2.5 - 8 X 28mm pistol scope in weaver rings on my XP-100 221FB. It shot great on the sighting in process. Shot a 3/4" group at 100 yards with Nosler 55 gr. CTBS over 17.1 grs. of H4198 & a Rem 6.5 primer from a bench rest.

I have to say that I found it very difficult to get on target with a 8 power pistol scope. Getting your eye squarly behind the scope at maybe 18" away is very hard to do, even from a bench rest. It must be imposible in the field. I have to ask you pistol shooters that like high power scopes how you manage this? Is there a trick to shoot a pistol using a high powered scope? Is this just part of the game of shooting a long range pistol with a high powered scope? Any advise here, to make target acquisition easier?

Takes practice is all really. It never becomes as easy as a riflescope, but it gets easier with experience. U think that 1's bad u oughtta' try the 3-12x Burris @ 12x. But even that's doable after some practice.

XPhunter and i used 2 of those on a couple custom XP's at a long-range sniper-style match shooting out to 700 yds. and we came in about 1/2 way against a bunch of military sniper and police SWAT units. Practice is the key to it.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys, I will practice with what I have and maybe try one of those Holosights spmeday too, I have heard that they work well.

posted Hide Post
All of mine have either burris 3-12`s or rifle scopes on them in the 6-24 range...

Don`t ya wish ya had an XP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Burris XP 100 base and rings will allow you to slide the scope forward a bit more than a Leupold or Redfield base. This will allow a bit more eye relief, thus field of view at the higher magnifications, when shooting from a bench or similar position with a center grip XP 100. For the .221 FB in a hunting scenario, I feel that the Burris 2-7X is close to ideal. A 3-12X can certainly work well, particularly for inanimate targets, but is more than necessary for that cartridge, in my opinion.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i shot IHMSA metallic silhouette with a xp-100 rechambered to 7-308.... i had a king tube sight on it.... shooting freestyle position, (laying down flat of my back, pistol resting on right leg).... i was accurate out to 200 meters.... no magnifacation, just post and notch.... i tried several sets of globes and dots, settled on the post... click type adjutments, very positive...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2826 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyB:
I have an XP-100 in 221 FB and want to scope it. What recommendation do you have on scopes for this pistol/caliber, also bases/rings?

I would try a red dot with little magnification. It would be a lot easier to stand up and shoot with than an 8 power or more scope. I had a 4x32 Leopold on a TC .223 it shot great off a rest but I could not hold it on target it kept going black when free-handing.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I have a leopold 4x on my xp 100 and has worked fine.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older XP set up when race guns were popular. this one was milled and even had a flattened shift knob drilled through and with a drilled through stem to boot. Someone also hand drilled holes through the left bolt side of the receiver to further lighten it. I will look into filling those holes somehow. The 1" scope rings will accept a variable 4-12x Bushnell and looks very hairy that way. I have a second gun with an old standard pistol scope with a thicker vertical post which is lower or mid-power. Forgot but I think it's fixed. Gotta find the rat to check. Both in 7mmBR Rem. I also have a rifle made up in .338 Whisper on that hull but never fired it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of 4-12x Bushnells on the XP-100. Here's 1 with just that setup on a factory 7 BR from 25 years ago now--

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote