New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm TCU bass lasts forever !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Probably no surprise to you single shot pistol guys, but my 7mm TCU brass just seems to last forever.

I shoot IHMSA pistol competition and one of the guns I shoot is a TC Contender in 7mm TCU. This 10 inch barrel has had more than 7000 rounds down it, still shooting fine. (I have a back up 10 inch barrel sitting around here since they do not make them any more.)

I guess I should not be surprised, but I just loaded another 100 rounds of ammo for this thing and according to the data on the box, this brass has been loaded 15 times! I got to looking and I have any number of boxes that have been loaded either 14 or 15 times.

The brass I loaded today is Remington, but most of this brass is military 223 stuff that I bought from Cabela's or Midway, I do not remember. People warned me not to make 7TCU brass from military brass, but it has worked for me for a lot of years now.

Just interesting, no big deal.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Properly cared for and not pushed to max on a consistent basis, brass can last a surprisingly long time. I have some 7mm Bullberry brass that is on either its 24th or 25th firing. And I've never annealed it.

I use partial FL sizing for this particular Contender barrel, so the brass is not overly-stressed via work-hardening, either.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
What could the 7mm TCU do with 160+ grain bullets in a 30" barrel? I was wondering about a cartridge for up to 1k that would have minimal recoil and stay supersonic. The 223 is too boring! Big Grin

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote