Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picky 30/30 Barrel
 Login/Join

posted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted November 02, 2008 10:41 AM
I have 12" Hunter barrel (10" plus muzzle break) for my G1 Contender. It flat out doesn't like 125,130 grain bullets. It did like the 135 Sierras.It did better with the 150s and loved the 170 gr Speer and Rem Corelokt. Can I get enough velocity from a 10" tube to upset the 170s? My tube just likes heavier bullets driven fast.

Mike

Fire for Effect!!!!

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 22 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Mike-

Your best, bet, then, would be a 150 grain flat point as the larger surface area will help initiate expansion somewhat.

The 170 grain Partition is softer than other Partitions and will open to around 1650 fps.

I'd recommend trying varying seating depths with the 125 grain Ballistic Tip as that bullet is the best for game with your type of rig.

What powders have you been using?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
335 with a big muzzle flash. Cool at dusk! Big Grin. 3031, incomplete burn.Lots of powder left in the tube, lighter bullets. I did try 4198 and really don't recall the results. If they were good I'd still be using it. I have a lot of 322 and 414. I'm going to have to try it out. I do believe the 414 is too slow.

Mike

Fire for Effect!!!!

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 22 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
H322 should work well. Re-15 is another good candidate.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote